testmy.net Folding@Home team

Elite.Pete

Hah, it's kind of funny, the one guy on the team, "Marsh", wants to try to beat me in PPD. He told us, "I'll beat you by tomorrow." That was, two, days ago I think.

He does it for a couple hours a day, so he is still helping the team, but it keeps lagging his comp. Lol

My PPD will be leveling off soon. Once I get to college it will be dropping, because I won't be folding 24/7. :P

I still want to help with it, so as I said earlier I will fold when I am in classes and stuff. :)

Thanks,

EBrown

Well guys, the AC in my house isn't working correctly, so to avoid my house turning into an oven, I have to stop folding for a little while.

I guess I probably should anyway, my GPU's need a little time to cool down. Lol

Thanks,

EBrown

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the RenderDrive? So its like proprietary top of the line ancient technology?

Ebrown did you get 2 gpu's on one motherboard or two? I also notice that sometimes the 5700pt gpu projects slow the computer so much that I type words twice as fast as they appear. Concerning weather.. stanford has seen donors drop by a small amount during the summer for each of the past five? years. I have less access to the fast computer when my bro is home for the summer :) so that means less production. On the other computer, my 6800gt video ram died resulting in neon rainbow pixels on the windows login screen. Since my dad and I share the computer and he wants ultra stable and low power, I will be building a new computer out of an i3 2100 (50watts) and an ati 7750 (also 50w). It should be 3 times faster then my Pentium 4 in single threaded apps while using half the electricity. :cheesy:

Is this the RenderDrive? So its like proprietary top of the line ancient technology?

Ebrown did you get 2 gpu's on one motherboard or two? I also notice that sometimes the 5700pt gpu projects slow the computer so much that I type words twice as fast as they appear. Concerning weather.. stanford has seen donors drop by a small amount during the summer for each of the past five? years. I have less access to the fast computer when my bro is home for the summer :) so that means less production. On the other computer, my 6800gt video ram died resulting in neon rainbow pixels on the windows login screen. Since my dad and I share the computer and he wants ultra stable and low power, I will be building a new computer out of an i3 2100 (50watts) and an ati 7750 (also 50w). It should be 3 times faster then my Pentium 4 in single threaded apps while using half the electricity. :cheesy:

It was two GPU's on one board. I managed to get it working, turns out I had to use the -forcegpu flag to get it in Gen 2 for my lesser card. (It must auto-detect the primary or something.) I am going to kick folding on again tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks,

EBrown

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't been able to fold much since I am in college now. Puts a damper on things. :sad:

Thanks,

EBrown

And no old machines laying around ?

No way to place folding in the background and limit it's use of the CPU to a minimum ? Bummer But hey , you have contributed so no one will be able to say anything derogatory :)

Good work in college , stay focused and keep your goals in sight.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't be gpu folding until the nights drop below 70 sorry, 21 Celsius. But I am running my new i3 2100 for half the day and it appears I'm getting early return bonus points on uni-core projects (32 day deadline: completed in 8 days). For example 380 point per day base. 1300 ppd after bonus if running 24/7. 500 ppd If its only running half the day.

Php running 6 clients in past week. :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

The problem is unless you have a killer GPU you might as well not bother participating -- at least the last several times I checked -- they focussed in on the fact so many people were dropping costly video cards in their box's and took advantage of it. 

Linux is pretty much out of the scene with the new cores, and the video cards. 

Prove me wrong and I'll use a couple of these local 64 bit 4 core AMD boxes immediately. 

I'll be waiting for that terminal client -- I don't care to see something try and render billions of math cycles per second. 

The problem is unless you have a killer GPU you might as well not bother participating -- at least the last several times I checked -- they focussed in on the fact so many people were dropping costly video cards in their box's and took advantage of it. 

Linux is pretty much out of the scene with the new cores, and the video cards. 

Prove me wrong and I'll use a couple of these local 64 bit 4 core AMD boxes immediately. 

I'll be waiting for that terminal client -- I don't care to see something try and render billions of math cycles per second.

I'll look into it and see what I can find. It's not supposed to be about the points though. :P

Thanks,

EBrown

post-8532-0-35901500-1370380175.png

Yes actually it is about the points. 

However it is about quality of WU submitted. Hence GPU PPD 1000+ even 3-6+ K / PPD , and anything I've tried on osx, windows or linux, 25-50 PPD. 

This tells me the heat pouring out of the box, far outweighs the quality of the math they accept. Points are given on a quality level. And by doing so is detrimental to the whole idea. 

I don't mean to be rude, but straight from Stanford:

How are points determined?

Points are determined by the performance of a each contributor's folding hardware (CPU, GPU, etc.) relative to a reference benchmark machine. Before sending out any Work Units for a new project, we benchmark one or or more Work Units from that project on a dedicated machine. We then use the results to determine the points for all of the WUs in that project. On top of these base credits, we may add bonus points, described below.

-http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-Points#ntoc3

The reason GPU points are higher is because they do the math faster. They have hundreds of Shaders working together to allow for the math to be done at enormous speeds. The newer GPU Cores are likely more optimized than the older ones. (I don't know all the information about them, I can only assume based on what little data I happen to have.)

Thanks,

EBrown

I should refine my explanation. 

Folding , gene folding, doing the work of nature in a box , results somehow help those involved understand how disease and growth ect happen. 

If box #1 has no GPU, just running a client in terminal ect.. set to use idle 100% CPU cycles , it might hand in the work in time, but is a drop in the bucket, compared to the box with the latest graphics card. Why the reference ? ==>

Knowing the cpu will be maxed out on box1, drawing power, creating heat. Now for the good part, aka - quality, yes when stanford receives in 50 million PPD in GPU WU's, those are different projects, than the CPU units, ok. At the same time think about how many regular CPU units must come in to come close to a percentage point of the GPU WU's , and the power consumption it takes to match those calculations. Ok?

And not all of these slower calculations can even be used , due to many variables. 

So you see it is about the points, what can be used for results Vs. how many resources were used to get those calculations. 

Yes, it's great to be up in the pack in points list, that ultimately tells us that contributor has dedicated their resources. 

Actually it's not about points... it's about finding a cure. Obviously the more you can process the better but even one unit could make the difference.

The new GPUs are insane ... I didn't know f@h was taking advantage of that, cool. My next server is probably going to have one or two Nvidia Tesla GPUs. They're so effen fast! It didn't make sense last time I ordered but next time... maybe.

I would love to be able to dedicate a rig to Folding, but I don't have the resources right now. So for the time being I'll just dedicate my GPU which does nothing during most of the time since I no longer game on it, so I just fold when I'm not watching Hulu or Netflix.

Thanks,

EBrown

How would we know if the work our proc is doing is useful if it were not for the point system. Yes it's about finding a cure, and many other things. The points are the gauge. 

I read years ago the percentage of WU tossed due to inaccurate or corrupt submissions is high, of course that may have changed with the hardware, so by them returning a gauge as to what they can use out of what we sent , it helps a lot. 

Personally i do not believe in chewing through one resource for little or no gain towards the goal. aka the cure. 

• 3 weeks later...

So with the new Folding@Home software I was a little worried that it would use my CPU and GPU, which I didn't want it to use my CPU. So I did some research and with some of my own discovery I found out how to change how the devices are used.

Simply open the FAHControl, click Configure, go to the Slots tab, and remove slots you don't want and add slots you do want.

Pretty simple stuff.

Thanks,

EBrown

post-8532-0-87890200-1372081805.png

post-8532-0-50650100-1372081807_thumb.pn

post-8532-0-83564100-1372081809.png

• 1 year later...