testmy.net Folding@Home team

Elite.Pete

well after countlessly refusing to install fah when updating my video drivers, after reading about what it actually does i have it running 24/7 on a server at work, theres a few other machines i can run it 24/7 on, i currently have two command line consolesrunning on my box but im not exactly sure what the best settings would be if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreaciated, and by the way there all set up for team tmn

I see the core your running is a recent one :)  I also noticed you have a good size page file, sometimes that slows a machine down, how's that workin for you ?  Anyhow are you running the "-smp "flag on those two cores ? And what if any flgs did you set ? I'm wondering how you installed F@H, manually ie: "MKDR " or did you configure it from within folding client. I'm only asking because I notice the way the threads were in the file structure.

Either way, this is great :)  Thanks for contributing, and in the name of testmy.net at that :)  Thats a great system you have, you should be able to really push out some WU's.

well between the two  cores they put out about 295,000 steps in about 3.75 hours, is that good, bad, average??  as far as the large page file goes, after about 5 gigs i noticed it didnt do much until i moved it to a seperate partition on a drive seperate from the operating system.as far as how im running the "-smp flag" i have no idea how to adjust the flags, and how i installed them well i made a folder, then made two folders in that folder, then put a copy of the console in each of the two folder, and then i did my configuring through the client as it was installed.  if anyone has any suggestions on which flags to adjust and how, once again they would be greatly appreciated.

well between the two  cores they put out about 295,000 steps in about 3.75 hours, is that good, bad, average??  as far as the large page file goes, after about 5 gigs i noticed it didnt do much until i moved it to a seperate partition on a drive seperate from the operating system.as far as how im running the "-smp flag" i have no idea how to adjust the flags, and how i installed them well i made a folder, then made two folders in that folder, then put a copy of the console in each of the two folder, and then i did my configuring through the client as it was installed.  if anyone has any suggestions on which flags to adjust and how, once again they would be greatly appreciated.

The flags are set in the console just after you point to the folder f@h is in, say if it's user/documents/folding HERE  <<<<<<  just type them at the end.  The -smp is VERY important, it's for multi core procs, you'll run twice as  many WU's .

Read this post, I gave a few flags there you can use. There a must if you want to get the most out of your folding proc.

Hey Muddy, how do I go about setting up for a quad?

Depends on how invasive you wanna get, are you into making the directories within the windows file structure yourself, or would you like to have the console do this for you. I can say if you do it yourself, it will take longer, if you do it w/ the console version from F@H, it's a snap !

Just goto the folding download page and download the console version. Let me know when you have it, I'll walk you through it real quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sad to look at the team stats just to find there is about 3-4 of us doing this and no one else.... go check out the dates on most of them users, some last uploaded in 2006, some in 2008 3-4 in 2009!

Come on people, let get crunching them numbers, its not going to hurt you or your computer, you don't have to leave it on all night, just run it when your using the machine or move it to your startup folder so it start on its own!

I have had this happen on systems before, it's not from being on all the time, it's from a mis configured client. :)

i figured soemthign was wrong, but lately my whole ps3 has been freezing even in games, i moved it to a shelf where it has more breathing room and it solved the issue of freezing so hopefully it'll be good...especially since my warranty just expired.

i figured soemthign was wrong, but lately my whole ps3 has been freezing even in games, i moved it to a shelf where it has more breathing room and it solved the issue of freezing so hopefully it'll be good...especially since my warranty just expired.

Ahh, gittin warm hey. well you should be able to set how much memory, and CPU the client uses. Reducing it by 20% should do the trick, and pay attention to the flags set, some may be default. Like "-forceasm " it'll keep it runnin warm if it's not properly cooled.   And change the default save time from 15 minutes , to three minutes.  Set flag "-verbosity 9 it'll keep the memory from loading up, what it does is send the completed work units off to home. :)

• 3 months later...

I just started doing this again on my PS3. For Donor name would it help to put my testmy.net name?

Do you have the team number set to  "44352" ?  Thst when it helps TMN :) Your name can be anything.

I need to look and see if another core has been written, the last one for the mac was awesome, but at the same time, pushed it to the max, and I didn't take the time to get into it to ease it up a bit.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Glad this section came up.  I'm headed over to se if there's an updated client that is adjustable, so it doesn't run full bore all out .  The windows client is easily adjustable, you don't even know it's running if set right. When I run the terminal client where last one out , the commands I could not get to set. It's been a while now, as Im sure there's a new core.

Id'e better do it, hell, I'm down to the 2nd place now  :haha:

k so it's up and running...but it's probably not up to date...

You could trash the old one, because if it's that old, chances are there's been an update, and you'll get no WU's anyhow, just waste CPU clocks.

And another thing, here , let me help you out, that was three, it's that little "B" shaped thingy that comes after two, only w/o the line   :grin:  :haha: