Safe Enough To Just Run Vista?

wyantm06

yeah.. drivers are still a bit lacking.. although there are videoI drivers out there for vista so you can run areo glass.  It is still a long way from begin finished..

I would wait for a future release or to RC1 before you decide to dual boot.  Otherwise install it on an old drive and play.

Well I think I will wait until I get my new HDD to do this then. Because if I decide to get rid of it I know I can format the space I have it installed on but I can't combine it back with my other local HDD if you know what I mean?

So you are saying I should not dual boot Vista? Why is this not safe? I was planning on doing this when I get home. Oh btw if I do decide to do this how much space do you think would be good enough to partition for Vista?

I think the os itself needs 3.5 gig? I had beta 1 running at home and couldnt install it on a 3 gig hard drive..

I have yet to install the latest 5308 build.. that might be stable enough to use.

I think the os itself needs 3.5 gig? I had beta 1 running at home and couldnt install it on a 3 gig hard drive..

I have yet to install the latest 5308 build.. that might be stable enough to use.

it uses a little more then 4gb, the latest build, is stable, but nothing runs on it. espically games.

my friend, im not even sure that you know what you want - ive been reading ur posts and uve been running around linux, xp, this that, now you want vista !?...my suggestion to you is to decide what you need/want and stick with that untill you find something better :)

my friend, im not even sure that you know what you want - ive been reading ur posts and uve been running around linux, xp, this that, now you want vista !?...my suggestion to you is to decide what you need/want and stick with that untill you find something better :)

I am using them all lol. I have Linux on my laptop, XP Pro on my new PC I built, and now I am installing a junk 10Gb HDD to put Vista on it. So yeah I do know what I want, and yes I do use them all. I like to experiment with them all.

I had been running Windows XP 64 Bit Edition as my main OS for a few months. I didn't like all the issues that I kept running into (drivers for certain things that I use everyday was a big issue). I decided to uninstall it.

When Vista 5308_FebCTP first dropped, the plan was to run it as my primary OS. Unfortunately, it wasn't ready for main use at all. So many things were not optimizing correctly. Although I did manage to get lots of things that were not currently of use to me to stop starting up with the system, things were not functioning smoothly enough. Explorer.exe runs into errors on a regular basis and has to restart so often. On top of that, there is just not enough support available right now to enjoy it full time. Vista 5308 is nothing more than an experimental tease to us right now, but it's fun to play around with nonetheless. If you go into the project thinking as such, you'll be able to deal with it without losing composure. :)

A week after the first FebCTP_5308_32bit dropped (the one I installed), I found out that it was a build aimed solely at programmers/developers and not for the general public to enjoy. Microsoft did make it known that they wouldn't do anything to stop the public from getting it (a more massive feedback source is a good thing). What's more important is that a second build of 5308 also surfaced that same week which was exclusively designed for everyday users. :) I've yet to go for that version.

A week after the first FebCTP_5308_32bit dropped (the one I installed), I found out that it was a build aimed solely at programmers/developers and not for the general public to enjoy. Microsoft did make it known that they wouldn't do anything to stop the public from getting it (a more massive feedback source is a good thing). What's more important is that a second build of 5308 also surfaced that same week which was exclusively designed for everyday users. :) I've yet to go for that version.

That is the one that i have.. it came out the 22nd i believe.. the second build, from what i have read, is a hell of a lot more stable.

Make you wonder if MS really doesnt mind all of the Beta being spread all over the place.  I mean there is huge hype in the IT/power user world every time a new build is issued.

Well I guess I don't have another HDD so here is my quick question. If I install Vista on a seperate partition and then end up deleting it will I be able to delete the partition and have it combine back with the regular one? Or will I have to reformat the whole thing for it to become one again? Thanks...