remote Desktop Connection

CaptainSauce

Me and my friend are experimenting in school and currently i can get as far as logging onto his computer. Im playing on the Vista beta and he is on XP pro and when i hit connect my friends computer IP appears at the top and then a XP account and password log in screen appears and we cannot figure out how to log in so i can on his comp. we have tried computer name creating an account everything.... anyone got any ideas?    -thanks a ton,  Sauce

right click on my computer go to properties, then remote, make sure that allow remote connections is turned on, on the computer you are connecting to. then click celect remote users, then add, then click advanced, the click on find now, then select your user. that user must be passworded for it to work. 

right click on my computer go to properties, then remote, make sure that allow remote connections is turned on, on the computer you are connecting to. then click celect remote users, then add, then click advanced, the click on find now, then select your user. that user must be passworded for it to work. 

Properties must be blocked for My Computer at our school. I just right clicked and it's not there like usual. Adam try on a PC down there, I don't think it is fully blocked.

I think that the idea behind the two seperate programs is remote desktop allows the user to log in to the computer and use it like a mobile computer.

Remote assistance would be by invite only.. Meaning that the client computer would have to set-up the request.. something that is impossible to do unless you have someone else at that terminal. 

That is how I see it.  They are basically vnc made by MS.. just different uses.. and this way security isnt an issue.. because you can have one on and the other off..

Right.. If u are on the same domain then you can remote assist without an invite.. different domain/subnet you would need an invite.. however, that is not how remote desktop works.. if you read up on remote desktop you will read this from the microsoft website..

Remote Desktop, included with Windows XP Professional, enables you to connect to your computer across the Internet from virtually any computer, Pocket PC, or Smartphone. Once connected, Remote Desktop gives you mouse and keyboard control over your computer while showing you everything that's happening on the screen. With Remote Desktop, you can leave your computer at the office without losing access to your files, applications, and e-mail. Your sales force will be able to access the latest pricing sheet from on the road by using Remote Desktop in Windows XP Professional.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx

and here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/northrup_03may16.mspx

You can vpn in if you are concernded about secuity but it is not nessary..In fact Remote Desktop is just a new name for the Terminal Services Client that was included on windows 2000 to remote admin server boxes.. 

Remote Desktop gives you complete control over your computer from across a network and over the Internet. However, Remote Desktop requires software to be installed on the system you're connecting from. Unfortunately, it's often impossible to install the software on a system, such as when you're at an Internet caf