How To Get FDISK To Work?

wyantm06

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yea, little tired, not making much sense to myself after reading it again  lol.  this isnt a new hdd is are what happen to make u want to reformatt this drive

Here I will try and make this a little more sense for all of you. Here is the story! I wanted to install the Vista Beta so I decided to try and add an extra HDD to my system but had no luck. I gave up on that, and put everything back in and got blue screen on my 250gb hdd which is my good one. So yeah it wouldn't load jack just kept restarting, so I formatted it and now when it loads it say missing operating system, good for right now. and now I need to get the dvd drive to work.

im guessing u dont have a spare cdrom drive laying around do u? are u could try this, go into bios and put cdrom as first boot option if u have not done it allready

I set it to first boot and still nothing. I do not have an extra disc drive, except in my other pc...

if u have the time u could take the other out and just put it on top of ur pc(make sure it dosent fall) and just run ur cables up to it and see what happens from there, but i wouldnt think ur dvd drive is bad, it was working before right? u could always try this, go to MS and download the startup disk for xp and use them to get started and that way u couldn cdrom support but u are going to need 6 disk for that

if u have the time u could take the other out and just put it on top of ur pc(make sure it dosent fall) and just run ur cables up to it and see what happens from there, but i wouldnt think ur dvd drive is bad, it was working before right? u could always try this, go to MS and download the startup disk for xp and use them to get started and that way u couldn cdrom support but u are going to need 6 disk for that

6 floppy you mean? I would like to get the DVD Rom to work so I am done with everything and have nothing to mess with. I don't see what else could be the problem.

1st things 1st....if you have 2 devices on the same IDE channel, make sure one is set to Master and one to Slave - if you run only one device on an IDE channel, it will be best if you set it up as Master

2nd

go to the bios section - most likely by pressing the DEL key or the F10 key while booting up - once you are there look for a section to adjust ur boot devices - make sure your primary boot device is that cd/dvd drive, 2nd ur hard drive with, and 3rd whatever - when u set it up that way, save bios settings, restart, and if you have a bootable cd/dvd in the drive it will tell you booting from cd - press any key to continue - press a key to boot from it

that should solve ur problem, unless something else needs setting up

1st things 1st....if you have 2 devices on the same IDE channel, make sure one is set to Master and one to Slave - if you run only one device on an IDE channel, it will be best if you set it up as Master

2nd

go to the bios section - most likely by pressing the DEL key or the F10 key while booting up - once you are there look for a section to adjust ur boot devices - make sure your primary boot device is that cd/dvd drive, 2nd ur hard drive with, and 3rd whatever - when u set it up that way, save bios settings, restart, and if you have a bootable cd/dvd in the drive it will tell you booting from cd - press any key to continue - press a key to boot from it

that should solve ur problem, unless something else needs setting up

Tried all of it. Right now I have two seperate IDE cables, both set to Master. It's also set to load up DVD Burner first. We tried clearing CMOS, nothing. My dad thinks the HDD shorted and is causing it. I don't get why the DVD burner will play the windows disc without HDD connected to the system, but when both are connected just loads up saying missing OS. Do you think a HDD short caused this'?

going to ask a stupid question, but this xp disk is bootable right, not a copied disk are anyting

It's burnt, and yeah I have the original to. Like to keep back ups so I do not scratch original but yeah neither original or burnt work.

hm....its hard to say what the problem could be - could you hook up both the dvd drive and the hard drive at the same time and go to BIOS to see if it actually recognizes both drives ?

Yeah they are both hooked up to seperate IDE cables and am in BIOS and it shows both there.

Actually I totally fixed it now! But one thing I have to ask, Ok before in BIOS my dvd burner reads as LS something..So I set that to first boot nothing loads, no I tried cd-rom..why would CD rom work but not the one actually named my drive?