How To Get FDISK To Work?

wyantm06

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, when u turn the computer on, u might have to look fast are go into the bios, but u should see the info about the hdd and the dvd drive. do u see that

I have them both hooked to same IDE cable now like I orginally did when they worked. In the BIOS it shows HDD as Slave though and DVD Drive as Master...But that's not what it is set to on the back of them.

ok, if u have 2 cables, set both drives to master and on the connection closest to the outside of the board, put it on the hdd, and the one closest to the middle of the board, hook it to the dvd, outside should be IDE 1 and inside should be IDE2 if i am thinking right, but make sure both drives are set to master

Formatting your hard drive won't solve the problem of the dvd rom not reading a disc. That is a hardware issue that needs to be resolved before you can even start installing. FDISK won't accomplish what you are trying to get done. You have to find out what's causing the dvd drive to not read discs first.

You hard drive should be attached to the Primary IDE Controller by itself (providing that it's not SATA) or in combination with another hard drive attached to the same IDE cable's slave option.

The DVD/CD rom should be attached to the Secondary IDE Controller by itself or in combination with another DVD/CD rom attached to the same IDE cable's slave option. (If the hard drive is SATA, you'll have the DVD/CD rom attached to the Primary IDE controller instead)

Once you troubleshoot that problem, installing your OS from the CD-ROM will give you formatting options right from the installation disc (Quick or Standard).

If it's a must that you use FDISK, then that's exactly what you type at the command prompt from a Windows 98SE bootdisk (fdisk). You will then have to choose whether or not you wan't large disk support. Enter "Y" if you want to enable FAT32, or "N" if you do not want to enable FAT32. If you do enable this, any partitions over 500 MB that you create will be FAT32. Note that if you do not enable FAT32, you will not be able to put your entire hard disk into one partition if it is greater than 2 GB in size.. From there, you'll proceed to create a partition. Rebooting the system back to the bootdisk's command prompt will be required. Once there, you will need to type format c: /s. Do not forget the "/s", as this is what will make your C: drive bootable. You will get a "scary" warning message such as "WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST. Proceed with Format (Y/N)?". Since of course there is no data presently on drive C:, just enter "Y" and the system will format the hard disk. The program will show you its progress as it formats and at the end will prompt you for a volume label. Enter one if you wish.

EDIT: There have been quite a few posts since I started writing this, but I still wanted to put it up. :)

Formatting your hard drive won't solve the problem of the dvd rom not reading a disc. That is a hardware issue that needs to be resolved before you can even start installing. FDISK won't accomplish what you are trying to get done. You have to find out what's causing the dvd drive to not read discs first.

You hard drive should be attached to the Primary IDE Controller by itself (providing that it's not SATA) or in combination with another hard drive attached to the same IDE cable's slave option.

The DVD/CD rom should be attached to the Secondary IDE Controller by itself or in combination with another DVD/CD rom attached to the same IDE cable's slave option. (If the hard drive is SATA, you'll have the DVD/CD rom attached to the Primary IDE controller instead)

Once you troubleshoot that problem, installing your OS from the CD-ROM will give you formatting options right from the installation disc (Quick or Standard).

If it's a must that you use FDISK, then that's exactly what you type at the command prompt from a Windows 98SE bootdisk (fdisk). You will then have to choose whether or not you wan't large disk support. Enter "Y" if you want to enable FAT32, or "N" if you do not want to enable FAT32. If you do enable this, any partitions over 500 MB that you create will be FAT32. Note that if you do not enable FAT32, you will not be able to put your entire hard disk into one partition if it is greater than 2 GB in size.. From there, you'll proceed to create a partition. Rebooting the system back to the bootdisk's command prompt will be required. Once there, you will need to type format c: /s. Do not forget the "/s", as this is what will make your C: drive bootable. You will get a "scary" warning message such as "WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK DRIVE C: WILL BE LOST. Proceed with Format (Y/N)?". Since of course there is no data presently on drive C:, just enter "Y" and the system will format the hard disk. The program will show you its progress as it formats and at the end will prompt you for a volume label. Enter one if you wish.

EDIT: There have been quite a few posts since I started writing this, but I still wanted to put it up. :)

Ok well i just hooked it up exactly like you said and...nothing still! Yay this blows for me lol.

How do I clear the CMOS.

There should be a jumper or cmos reset switch on the mothboard. You should refer to the manual to be sure.

If using the jumper, just move it over to the opposite two pins for 2 seconds and then replace it. Start the system and follow the prompts to enter setup.

If using the button/switch, just press it once and start the system and follow the prompts to enter setup.

There should be a jumper or cmos reset switch on the mothboard. You should refer to the manual to be sure.

If using the jumper, just move it over to the opposite two pins for 2 seconds and then replace it. Start the system and follow the prompts to enter setup.

If using the button/switch, just press it once and start the system and follow the prompts to enter setup.

Do this with the system off right lol??

Was the system running before without any issues from the HD & DVD Rom being on the same IDE?

Clearing the cmos would be my first choice. That would allow you to start fresh and redetect everything.

Yes. :)

yes everything was running fine. but then I hooked everything back up to normal and nothing. but if I unplug the HDD it loads the XP disc then detects there is no HDD to save windows to.

on IDE 1 and IDe 2 are on the same IDE

No idea what you just said there are two IDE slots on my MOBO. I have 1 going to HDD and 2 going to DVD Burner...They are both set to Master. What else could be the problem? Soooo frustrating, I need to get back to real PCing lol.