I can't connect to the internet with router...

Situation: I recently got the new Optiumun online modem "SBV5120 Surfboard Cable modem." I also have the Linksys "WRT55AG" router thats wireless and wired. Before I had the old Motorola white one. Before when i connected the "WRT55AG" into the white Motorola one it worked. For some reason it does not work any more can someone help me?

I tried the following:

1.  I plugged in an ethernet cable to my modem and plugged it into the "WRT55AG" and then plugged 2 ethernet cables from the WRT55AG to 2 of my computers. That did not work.

2.  I plugged in the modem directly to 1 of the computers and it works. Next I plugged it into my second computer and it does not work at all. Both computers have the same parts and programs and both has been updated up to date.

3.  My WRT55AG for some reason keeps restarting on its own like 2 times a day. and it takes about 5 minutes for me to get it back working.

I asked the cable guy when he came over to install it and he did not know what to do. He said that I needed a hub... But I thought that a hub was the WRT55AG router

also my WRT55AG router looks different from the ones i see on the internet now... I just brought the WRT55AG 2 months ago and i can't find that one anymore on the internet...

did the router come with an installation cd? if so have you installed the software to configure your router to your modem yet.

also have u tried releasing and renewing your ips

Start>run>winipcfg

im not an expert but maybe this will help, smart guys will be on in the morning ^^

if you are talking about a wrt54g router and if it's version 5 (v5) you are better off returning it for something else - suposedly v5 wrt54g router tend to do that, freeze up, restart and many other things - randomly........i returned my router yesterday and today im looking for a V4 or older

Alright...

if you are talking about a wrt54g router and if it's version 5 (v5) you are better off returning it for something else - suposedly v5 wrt54g router tend to do that, freeze up, restart and many other things - randomly........i returned my router yesterday and today im looking for a V4 or older

This is a completly different product.. It has both a radio that can produce waves in A, B and G.  Again the third party firmware is not supported.

Now on to the original post...

xxzgmfx20axx, the reason that it looks nothing like what is currently available is because Linksys redesigned if for v.2.  My guess is that you have v.1 hardware.  Which yes.. like every linksys product sucks.  V1 is Broadcom based and just about everyone in the hardware know that this manufacturer produces chipsets that are not the most advanced out there.

Since this is a Broadcom based router, for v1, no third party firmware will run on it.  I would suggest power cycling the modem and the router at the same time.  Make sure that they are disconnected from each other.  Also you might want to rest the factory settings.

The random restarting is due to a memory error that is corrected in the V.2 hardware with the latest firmware from Linksys.  However, I have been unable to locate any firmware for the v.1 on linksys' site.