Modem Help...

Okay I have RR (road runner) as my ISP....

I wanted to config. my own speed and connection so I went out and bought a linksys modem but my connection isnt working I also bought a Netgear wireless modem 802.11 and also not working...

My Linksys lights keep blinking and when I connect the netgear modem to my rr modem it connects and I went throught the steps but after I re-booted it said Limited or No Connectivity.

Alright.. first.. you have to register the modem with RR to be able to use it on their network..  You are not going to be able to "set your own speeds".. they are still going to be capped by the ISP once the config file is recieved.

Alright.. first.. you have to register the modem with RR to be able to use it on their network.. You are not going to be able to "set your own speeds".. they are still going to be capped by the ISP once the config file is recieved.

Wow thats kinda crappy!

The RR man on the street gave me the ideas to do that and said I should be able to do it w/out telling them and now staples have a 14 days return policy and yesterday made the 14th day :(

First off y do u even want a wireless router for we all know they go slow. u should just return ur wireless router and buy urself a new video card or something useful

not 100% true.. i can get with in 90% of my wired speed on my wireless..

When u really think about it what would be faster a direct cable to the connection or a WIRELESS think about it unless the router is like a 2.4GHz or something.

just about every wireless router that you can get at retail stores is 2.4ghz.. only 802.11A is 5.8ghz.. and that doesnt have the range of 2.4.. But yes you are correct that wired is going to be faster than wireless..

Guest thecableguy

Okay I have RR (road runner) as my ISP....

I wanted to config. my own speed and connection so I went out and bought a linksys modem but my connection isnt working I also bought a Netgear wireless modem 802.11 and also not working...

My Linksys lights keep blinking and when I connect the netgear modem to my rr modem it connects and I went throught the steps but after I re-booted it said Limited or No Connectivity.

Couple of things...none of them you're gonna like.

1).  As a general practice most ISP's do not like you buying your modem (and no, it's not because they want to charge you for theirs as most ISP's nowadays do not charge for modem rental).  At minimum they will require that a technician come out and personally verify mac address, make and model and there is a distinct possibility that they will not allow it on their network.  Many ISP's flat out will not allow privately owned modems on their networks.  As a general rule RR will require a tech to come out before they will add it to your account.

2). You can forget ever seeing 90% of your rated speed via wireless or even wired for that matter.  You will notice the fine print on all ISP contracts contain the ever hated (up to xxmb) clause.  That means if they claim a rating of up to 7Mbps you should expect anything from the high 5's to 6's with a wired connection let alone wireless.  Now there will be exceptions to the rule but not many and most who make wild claims are clueless or liars.

I wish you the best of luck....get your ISP's modem (that way if you get struck by lightning, etc etc your ISP replaces your modem free and you arent out $60.00)  as for wireless router....thats a tough one...none of them are very good except for the most basic of applications and don't expect them to last much longer than their warranty period.....they seem to get cheaper and cheaper ever day....problem is the quality and ease of use is just not there anymore...(strike that....now they are too easy to use and are worthless to those who are serious about some applications...just ask recent Linksys owners who no longer have direct access to the router but must instead run a program from their pc....yukphoooey!) :haha:

Oh and BTW....RR does not charge modem rental......so take their free modem and save your money!