One for the guru's?

ArcticWolf

Ok I have an old computer using an ASUS mobo, the usual speed is P2 300mhz, I overclocked it to 337 with fsb at 75 * 4.5 cpu ....and formated my hard drive and installed Win XP and have no problems.... now when I changed my settings to 83fsb * 4 cpu =332 ... which we all know will work better cause the faster the memory the better it is. Well I put it to those settings the system works fine and doesn't lock up.... but when my win xp loads, I get errors. my question is that if I reformated my hard drive at the 83* 4 cpu settings would it resolve the problem or is the fsb running to fast for the IDE port to the hard drive?

Ok ~ ArcticWolf ~ first, what are the errors your getting?

. . .and do you have newest or most updated bios version for your ASUS installed?

Are you dual booting, also?

I don't remember the errors,I never wrote them down... but basically saying if you installed new hardware,please remove it, system cannot load.... as for the Bios it's the newest one, and no it's not a dual boot.

I figured that it might be because the data was written at the 75 * 4.5 originally, and if I set it to 83 * 4 , that the memory is going to fast for the data written on the disk... and my memory is pc100's inside.

Since you have pc100 you might be able to go 100fsb X3 multiplier you would still be at 300Mhz but much better fsb, it really shouldn't make a difference that I know of, what the settings were when you loaded windows.

You could just try different fsb and multiplier setting until it seems to boot good and doesn't crash 83 fsb X3 or 3.5 and so on, just watch the temp of the CPU

Since you have pc100 you might be able to go 100fsb X3 multiplier you would still be at 300MHz but much better fsb, it really shouldn't make a difference that I know of, what the settings were when you loaded windows.

You could just try different fsb and multiplier setting until it seems to boot good and doesn't crash 83 fsb X3 or 3.5 and so on, just watch the temp of the CPU

I'll give it a try... but it's not possible for me to go to 100fsb, due to the fact that the only jumper settings are 66,75 and 83.

Thanks