IRQ sharing in Windows XP

FallowEarth

Hey all, here's the scoop:

On my laptop, I have found that I always have the same two devices sharing an IRQ: PCI to USB Open Host Controller, and my vidcard (must be PCI....laptop is a few years old).  The IRQ# changes after a reboot, but always puts these two devices together.  My PC has IRQ's remaining unused.  Under the resources tab of either devices properties, it will not allow me to configure the IRQ.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314068/EN-US/

This article states that you cannot manually specify devices to IRQs while ACPI is enabled (it will override IRQ configuration in the BIOS).  It states that in order to manually assign IRQs, one must reinstall Windows to use to use a Standard PC HAL rather than ACPI.

My question is: does anyone know of a way around this?  I do not wish to disable ACPI, but I am not happy with devices sharing IRQs.  I would like to take this laptop apart only as a last resort (believe me, this thing is a pain....one million microscopic screws...besides, i don't seem to remember any free PCI slots from the last time i did this).

Are you having IRQ conflicts?

Should I assume you are used to the way Windows 98 dealt with IRQs? 

Anyway, In Device Manager, expand "Computer" and right click the expanded entry. Select Update Driver, then choose "Install from a list or Specific Location (Advanced)", click next. Select "Don't Search, I will choose the driver to install.", click Next. If Standard PC is shown in the list, choose it, otherwise un-tick Show compatible hardware, then select Standard PC from the list. Click Next.

• 2 weeks later...