The good and the bad

xs1

According to the little thingy in the top right hand side, sometimes we have "200" or more users testing. This is not accurate most likely, i KNOw we have more users then that. BUT! ->

The thing is... think about a website where everything is free, but if your a 'premium member"  you get little pukrs.

now testmy.net is completely free speed testing site, which is absolutely great. But testmy is also THE MOST accurate ever. We have 200 users testing, ( lets just run with that number for now ) and mabey 6 of them are our * members*. Now i made a thread back in the day about " how will we REALY know" since testmy is always being hit on. Now its damn posative testmy has the bandwith to test all these people including the members, but mabey a section.. or a test located on another server, like the upload portion for US , the loyal members.. so we dont have to test with 200 others?. 

This "idea" si just in the beta stages if you will, but.. you know what im getting at here...right?  Not saying testmy should become one of thoes " please register to use testmy's features" sites.. but mabey a testing FOR the forum members ... MEMBERS... you know what i mean?

Just an idea iv been throwing around lately :P  I unno mabey others can clarify, or expand on this situation.  :tongue:

According to the little thingy in the top right hand side, sometimes we have "200" or more users testing. This is not accurate most likely, i KNOw we have more users then that. BUT! ->

The thing is... think about a website where everything is free, but if your a 'premium member"  you get little pukrs.

now testmy.net is completely free speed testing site, which is absolutely great. But testmy is also THE MOST accurate ever. We have 200 users testing, ( lets just run with that number for now ) and mabey 6 of them are our * members*. Now i made a thread back in the day about " how will we REALY know" since testmy is always being hit on. Now its damn posative testmy has the bandwidth to test all these people including the members, but mabey a section.. or a test located on another server, like the upload portion for US , the loyal members.. so we dont have to test with 200 others?. 

This "idea" si just in the beta stages if you will, but.. you know what im getting at here...right?  Not saying testmy should become one of thoes " please register to use testmy's features" sites.. but mabey a testing FOR the forum members ... MEMBERS... you know what i mean?

Just an idea iv been throwing around lately :P  I unno mabey others can clarify, or expand on this situation.  :tongue:

I like the suggestion, but seriously it is down the road... I truely am not even tapping into my resources on this new server and members are not being effected by each other, if they are it's VERY VERY minimal - the only negative stuff that has happened on my server has been shit that I caused durring migration, script updates and other BS... and that's because my dumb ass edits live sometimes with hundreds of people on the site. - servers are expensive so unless someone wants to find a way to hook my ass up with twice as many people on the site a month (to support my adverts) I won't be able to do this for a while.

BUUUUUT, with the way that traffic trends with this site (over the past two years of data taken into account) I should be at twice as many users (not forums members.. users) in 3-5 months and 6-10 months I will be at 4X --- forum members should 2X in a mere 1 1/2 months or less ;-) ~~~~~~  Crazy how websites grow like snowballs :-P

ANY-POOP ~~ I would love to offer some more servers, but seriously I should be able to handle the next year of traffic growth with no problem... but I may be wrong, 2004 I had about 5 server changes do to growth... we will see.  TELL YOUR FRIENDS!  No chain letters though ;-)

eh i simply mean.. because i get much better results when their are a shown "80 members" as apposed to "180" .. Sometimes i get insane results like 2.1 mbs... with alot of users testing, when i can get a god 3.8 with a lower number of suers testing. I wasnt saying like buy another server :lol:  but.. meh i unno.. just would be nice to test on an " idle" server once :P

eh i simply mean.. because i get much better results when their are a shown "80 members" as apposed to "180" .. Sometimes i get insane results like 2.1 mbs... with alot of users testing, when i can get a god 3.8 with a lower number of suers testing. I wasnt saying like buy another server :lol:  but.. meh i unno.. just would be nice to test on an " idle" server once :P

I have noticed the same thing, but since CA3LE changed download script to PHP its alot better then with the CGI. But still with alot of users testing im down to 2.6 Mbps and when its less ppl i get around 3.3 Mbps.

VanBuren :)

yay so at least im not the only one noticing it :lol:

because 1.8 mv/s (  last test with over 180 users )  is just >.<....

just for the hella it ill; try the test now. :P

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 3302 Kbps about 3.3 Mbps (tested with 2992 KB)

Download Speed is:: 403 KB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Bottom Line:: 59 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 2.54 second(s)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=DDA8L5PVI

because their is a smaller number of users testing now :P

It's not the server, at least not directly. IF there are more users on testmy.net the route will be busier and you get lower speed. I think that may become rather problematic when testmy.net becomes more popular.

ya hit the nail on the head

---

so..... testmy is only as accurate as the amount of users on it ......?  lol....  >.< !

That's the point, that at this point it's not a problem, if you are having any speed degradation it due to the route not the server, I have looked deeply into my server stats and watched my traffic... my server is taking on the traffic with no problem... very easy for it.  BUT if your route to my server is congested your S.O.L. -- some servers will have better routes than other at different times of the day.

But my personal experience for the past couple months has been a very clean route... ever since level3 dropped out of my tracert, but everyone is different.

The only thing putting any load on my server right now... is those few scripts I have yet to convert to PHP ;-) ~ once those are done we will be even better off :)

That's the point, that at this point it's not a problem, if you are having any speed degradation it due to the route not the server, I have looked deeply into my server stats and watched my traffic... my server is taking on the traffic with no problem... very easy for it.  BUT if your route to my server is congested your S.O.L. -- some servers will have better routes than other at different times of the day.

The problem is that the route is congested, thus people get lower speeds, and blame it on the server. Which then falsely claims to be most accurate bandwidth tester. Ironic, since the bandwidth at your side is just fine. I'm hoping this won't get worse for you.

my route is pretty much the same, no matter of what time i do a tracert. Im not blaming the server, im just saying that the speed drop when alot of users testing. If a node is very busy and make my speed drop, shouldnt that be seen in the tracert then?

VanBuren :)

Connection is:: 3302 Kbps about 3.3 Mbps (tested with 2992 KB)

Download Speed is:: 403 KB/s

Bottom Line:: 59 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 2.54 second(s)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=DDA8L5PVI

because their is a smaller number of users testing now :P

I must quote myself here.

Now with "215" users testing

Connection is:: 2584 Kbps about 2.6 Mbps (tested with 2992 KB)

Download Speed is:: 315 KB/s

Bottom Line:: 46 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 3.25 second(s)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=R561KJH0O

:x

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:Documents and Settings.s1.KILLME>tracert testmy.net

Tracing route to testmy.net [67.19.36.6]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

eh 1 more just for the hell of it.

with 70 users testing.

Connection is:: 3478 Kbps about 3.5 Mbps (tested with 2992 KB)

Download Speed is:: 425 KB/s

Bottom Line:: 62 times faster than 56K you can download 1MB in 2.41 second(s)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/cgi-bin/get.cgi?Test_ID=BTQLYKY37