HELP WITH SLOW DSL!!!

morris8809

Im having a problem  with my dsl. I have 1.5 mbps dsl and my connection speed on modem is 1472 and upload is 256. when i am playing games like bf1942 i get really bad ping spikes like one second it will be 20 the next it will be 400. but when it levels out its like 56 on average. I have tried everything i know but it hasnt helped very much. i am behind a router and i have tried to tujrn every firewall off but it doesnt help any.

First welcome to the forum..

To be truthful... gaming is a hit and miss thing.  Latency is the time for a packet to go to the server and back.  Now your connection can be running at 45mbs but if you have a crappy path to the server it isnt really going to matter..

The spikes, my guess, would be related to traffic that is local to the server.  Depending on where the server is located traffic can be prioritized to be sent before other traffic.  Some times when you are a little short on cash for a server you dont care about this.  Since traffic tends to die down when more gamers are online, normally night.  Do you see a difference between day and night gaming?

Again.. not a whole lot you can do..

It happens all of the time during day and night but it only happens after a cerntain amount of time playing. I am also having a problem with not being able to get a very fast download or upload speed on the test. i have tried cablenut and tcp optimizer but they havent helped much. i have 1.5 dsl and my connection speed to modem is 1472 kbps and upload is 256. here are the results.

1st try

Your connection is: 1024 Kbps or 1 Mbps

You Downloaded at: 125 kB/s

You are running: 18 times faster than 56K and can Download 1 megabyte in 8.19 second(s)

Member Ident: Username:morris8809 CompID:61104576246

Test Time:: 2006/03/18 - 8:35pm

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

Test ID: 2MENW1L9U (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: Looks Great : 9.87 % faster than the average for host (se-tel.com)

This was tested from a 1013 kB file and took 8.11 seconds to complete

2nd try

Your connection is: 1020 Kbps or 1 Mbps

You Downloaded at: 124 kB/s

You are running: 18 times faster than 56K and can Download 1 megabyte in 8.26 second(s)

Test Time:: 2006/03/18 - 8:36pm

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727)

Test ID: MZD8O2LP9 (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: Looks Great : 9.32 % faster than the average for host (se-tel.com)

This was tested from a 2992 kB file and took 24.031 seconds to complete

my upload is very slow and it needs the most help

1st try

Your connection is: 56 Kbps or 0.1 Mbps

You Uploaded at: 7 kB/s

You are running: 1 times faster than 56K and can Upload 1 megabyte in 146.29 second(s)

Test Time:: 2006/03/18 - 8:40pm

Test ID: FJZ8XT4RO (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 40.88 % of your hosts average (se-tel.com)

This was tested from a 386 kB file and took 56.76 seconds to complete

and second try

Your connection is: 63 Kbps or 0.1 Mbps

You Uploaded at: 8 kB/s

You are running: 1 times faster than 56K and can Upload 1 megabyte in 128 second(s)

Test Time:: 2006/03/18 - 8:41pm

Test ID: 1YJQF7ZN0 (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 47.01 % of your hosts average (se-tel.com)

This was tested from a 97 kB file and took 12.4656 seconds to complete

Guest thecableguy

Im having a problem  with my dsl. I have 1.5 Mbps dsl and my connection speed on modem is 1472 and upload is 256. when i am playing games like bf1942 i get really bad ping spikes like one second it will be 20 the next it will be 400. but when it levels out its like 56 on average. I have tried everything i know but it hasnt helped very much. i am behind a router and i have tried to tujrn every firewall off but it doesnt help any.

Are you running any other processes?  AIM? Teamspeak? or similar....if so for snits and grins turn them off (esp. AIM) and then try.  Turn off any mail clients you may be running as well....if you have a slow or malfunctioning pop server out there it will cause you to "hang" causing a spike. Also keep in mind that gaming server ping tests are notorious for being unreliable.  Use another method if possible.  Try removing the router for a bit and running direct and see what happens. 

Now you didn't say if you were running wireless or not so that info might help...if so what are your signal levels.

There are some other tests your isp can run that will determine if your spikes are internal (meaning from your pc) or externally generated. One of the tests involves removing all the equipment from your modem and running a continuous ping to the modem IP and then performing the same test with your equipment connected.  There should be very little difference between the two and if there is substantial difference once your PC is connected you might want to go on a bug hunt.  You may have picked up one in your travels and your AV/AT didn't pick it up.

Cheers!

im not running any other processes nor mail clients or anything it is just the internet only. im runnin wired but my sister is on wireless on the router. i just ran another test and i only got just over 500 kbps download and i dont have a clue whats wrong. i have used cablenut, tuneup programs, a protocol called raspppoe, and some other things and none of them seem to help any. im using a paradyne dsl modem and a belkin 54g wireless router but im wired. Thx for any help you all can give me. cheers  :haha:

Guest thecableguy

im not running any other processes nor mail clients or anything it is just the internet only. im runnin wired but my sister is on wireless on the router. i just ran another test and i only got just over 500 Kbps download and i dont have a clue whats wrong. i have used cablenut, tuneup programs, a protocol called raspppoe, and some other things and none of them seem to help any. im using a paradyne dsl modem and a belkin 54g wireless router but im wired. Thx for any help you all can give me. cheers  :haha:

Your sister isn't by some chance running any P2P stuff is she.  Your connection isn't the fastest (no offense) to begin with and her activity could easily have an effect on your gaming depending on what she's doing.

she did yesturday but i told her to take it off cause she could get a virus from it so that was the end of the story but for some reason i can only get 200 kbps downoad and i think its cause she could be taking alot of the connection up because i used cablenut on her pc also? i dont know but my upload is outragiously slow 56kbps!!! should i get a ethernet hub so i can use direct connection off of modem and she could use what is lefgt over!! any suggestions are welcome. my provider is www.setel.com thx for the help guys

you say you have 1.5 mb download and 256 upload right?  now if you are playing a game using close to 100 kb to play and she keeps clicking on websites that will cause it to spike a bit here and there and if she downloads anything it will spike alot with the line you have. 

try going into a game like always then goto her comp and ping a website to check the pings then download something and ping the website again and you will see the pings  jump around alot.  you should see if your router has QOS built in so it helps balance out the line better but i dont know if that would help the pings.

well im on dsl aswell and see my scores as in the sig, had crappy speeds like that just use the CableNut app and create a custom file for your connection,

by the way do a anti-virus and spyware scan and clean the registry that usually has errors init causing the pc to run slowere meaning internet will go slow aswell.

Im having a problem  with my dsl. I have 1.5 Mbps dsl and my connection speed on modem is 1472 and upload is 256. when i am playing games like bf1942 i get really bad ping spikes like one second it will be 20 the next it will be 400. but when it levels out its like 56 on average. I have tried everything i know but it hasnt helped very much. i am behind a router and i have tried to tujrn every firewall off but it doesnt help any.

what do u mean that ur connection to ur modem is 1472kbps?

the connection from ur PC to ur DSL Modem is only 1.5mbps?

pls write back because that may be ur problem.

raise up the speed to the max it could go a usual connection from PC to DSL Modem is 100mbps, go to ur modem settings by this link:

http://168.192.0.1

try checking ur status up on that, give us the 411 on ur settings

the connections speed which is from my modem to my provider is 1472 which is very good b/c im 80 miles away from it.  I have a router connected through my modem and my pc connects to it through ethernet. i dont have a clue what speed the router is but im connected to the router at 100mbps the highest you can get on my ethernet card. while behind my router i loose over 200 kbps upload but i dont know bout download. upload straight to modem = 214 kbps behind router = 76 kbps. and upload is around 800 kbps and i dont know why i am loosing 700 kbps off of my advertised speed. thx guys for all the help.

thats good to hear when did u buy the router, what model is it?

try to download the latest firmware for it maybe that'll speed ur connection up a bit.

tell me ur router model and brand and ill look for the latest update so u can update it.

I think that i have pretty much got it fixed. i deleted all of my cable nut settlings and use the tcp optimizer from speed guide.net and here are the results. Download is a constant 1150 kbps download and a constant speed of 216 kbps upload. These were done straight through the router and the only settings are those of the tcp optimizer and a protocol called raspppoe. The only other thing that i used is a program named tuneup utilities 2006. These things increased my connection by 500 kbps . If you are having trouble try these i had more luck with them then i did with the cablenut program. the tcp optimizer give you all options and test for those options so you get the right numbers to put in. it helps a great deal so i would try it first.