Why only 80% instead of 100%?

Tomer

Alright.. here is what I would try..  channel 5 is an odd channel to choose for a wifi network.  Try either 1,3,9,11.

Next move away from the router just a little bit like the there side of a room..  Contrary to popular believe sometimes sitting right next to the router isnt the best thing to do.

@ Swimmer: Thanks for the tips, I tried all those channels, no difference, I also tried placing the router on the top of the oppisite side of the room [10 feet], still the same.

@ S7R1D3R: After getting the router, I saw my computer didn't have a LAN input in the back of the computer, so must go wireless.

Everytime I plug in my wireless card I get this message, maybe thats the problem? [see attachment]

Thanks!

- Tomer

@ Swimmer: Thanks for the tips, I tried all those channels, no difference, I also tried placing the router on the top of the oppisite side of the room [10 feet], still the same.

@ S7R1D3R: After getting the router, I saw my computer didn't have a LAN input in the back of the computer, so must go wireless.

Everytime I plug in my wireless card I get this message, maybe thats the problem? [see attachment]

Thanks!

- Tomer

omfg u got a wireless because u didnt have an ethernet card?

wow, i thought i was n00b

well just return ur wireless network, buy an ethernet card, install in PCI slot, put in ur ISP Software and connect!

wuala!

Thanks!

- Tomer

Sounds like you have an older comp with old USB. My childrens has old USB and it says the same thing. But it does run,but at a slower speed. Mine is all USB 2.0. :D

Guest thecableguy

My wireless router is right next to the Wireless LAN adapater but I'm not getting 100% link quality, why is that? [see attachment]

Thanks

- Tomer

You have something (or someone) interferring with the quality of your signal.  Do you live in appartment building where there might be a bunch of routers or video extenders...etc.....

Guest thecableguy

not having a network card shouldnt make you get a wireless router, you can just buy a network card and install it for cheap and use the wireless for other comps that are not in the same room as the router

He should check with his ISP.  In many cases they will not only provide but also install a NIC at no charge...BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK!!  ISP helpdesk folks hate USB connections to modems (plus your performance sucks sucks sucks) and they will do almost anything to get you connected via ethernet if nothing more than to make their lives easier.  This is especially the case if you are running Win 98 or Sukmenium Edition.

JUST THINKING ABOUT YOUR LINK QUALITY. maybe your router is running faster than your usb adapter can handle. Thats why it's only at 77%. Your USB 1.1 can't handle the transfer rate that your Wireless adapter needs. and the speed the router is asking for. thus a weaker LINK QUALITY.

Hey guys,

Ok Heres the situaution, we at first had regular ADSl, but we wanted to connect more than 1 computer at the same time, so we get wireless as we have 2 desktops + 1 laptop.

I was planning o nplugging the main computer via cabel [LAN] and the rest would be connected with wireless cards, but the main comp doesn't have a LAN input socket in the computer [Pentium 3], so I'm using a wireless card for the main too.

About the USB speed, can I upgrade it to USB 2.0, maybe that would help the signal?

- Tomer

like myself and others said above if you want your main computer plugged into the router WIRED, not having an ethernet port is not a problem.

All that is required is going to a local store and purchasing a standard Network Interface Card or NIC.. you plug it into a PCI slot in your computer, im sure you have at least 2 free.

From the looks of ur error msg i think upgrading to a higher USB would fix it, but i could be wrong.. the for sure way would be to be connected by ethernet.. just buy a NIC and itll work out fine

like myself and others said above if you want your main computer plugged into the router WIRED, not having an ethernet port is not a problem.

All that is required is going to a local store and purchasing a standard Network Interface Card or NIC.. you plug it into a PCI slot in your computer, im sure you have at least 2 free.

From the looks of ur error msg i think upgrading to a higher USB would fix it, but i could be wrong.. the for sure way would be to be connected by ethernet.. just buy a NIC and itll work out fine

Wht is PCI slot? If that is USB than I have 2 slots.

How do I upgrade USB, is that a hardware issue, or software?

- Tomer

You first open your computer, locate your open PCI slots.. like coknut said there white. You put the card in facing the open bays on the back of your computer. You can then plug your ethernet cable from your router into the network card.

heres what a network card looks like.. notice the size of the port.. its ethernet, looks like a phone line except bigger.

And this the inside of my computer. See the white slots. Those are the PCI slots. Just shut down the computer, completely. Open the side cover, should be two screws on the back rear left. slide the cover back, and bingo. Take out the screw holding the little strip in beside the slot you need, and gently push the new card into place, in my case it takes a little more pressure. Replace screw, close panel, turn on and screw new cable into card. Done.

Look Tomer, buy you books and send you to school. Take a close look at the info in this thread, as far as I know, these are the simplest instructions we know of, without coming to your house. Just read every post and take your time, it will not bite you, if you shut it down and unplug it. Try it it is fun.Or:

He should check with his ISP.  In many cases they will not only provide but also install a NIC at no charge...BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK!!  ISP helpdesk folks hate USB connections to modems (plus your performance sucks sucks sucks) and they will do almost anything to get you connected via ethernet if nothing more than to make their lives easier.  This is especially the case if you are running Win 98 or Sukmenium Edition.

Is there anything you did not understand?

Post a photo of the inside of your computer, like mine. Then we can point it out to you.