help with debian install

fattymcbluff

You installed grub on another hard drive?  That would be a reason it's not working... also are you sure grub is set up right?  If you changed drives around after the install it's probably not configured right anymore

ok when i was in the installer i installed to the ide1 slave after it partitoned the drive with ext3 and the swap file,and after it was sone installing it asked me if i wanted to intsall grub as a boot manger and i clicked yes and it installed grub and then it sayed installtion complet and i rebooted and then i got the error

master drive as in the hdd? or the drive set to master ? i have a sata drive with my xp installed and two ide drives both set to cs the 80 gig seagate is my stuff drive and the 40 gig wd is the drive i installed to its been partioned with a 1.7 swap file and a 37.2 ext3 file system

• 11 months later...

Well, I got a Debian CD created from the ISO image (from another computer) and I was able to poke around and read the readme files and examine the CD.

Then I moved it to my old laptop computer where I want to install Debian.  It seems I need to change the BIOS settings so that I can boot from the CD.

So once I did that.  Nothing.

It even says during startup

INITIALIZING BOOT CD

and then

STARTING WINDOWS 95