dvd questions.......

Guest helloimtim

Guest helloimtim

I am trying to make copys of some dvds. The problem is The dvd itself is like 7.2 gig. The dvd size I have is 4.7 . Your standard wall mart dvd blank.DVD-R.Any ideas on how to trim the size of the dvd to 4.7.  I use nero 6.6 presently. Kinda new to this stuff. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Maybey a program like winiso would work? Thanks in advance.

Or you could buy the double layer DVDs that hold 9.4GB of data. I use them to put 2 or 3 movies on one disk. these you can't get at walmart but, prob at a computer/electronics store. I use DVD-Shrink to trim my movies. but i like to keep my resolution. so I take off the extra content and leave the movie only. Regular DVD's like the 4.7GB only hold 2hrs of video. And most store bought dvd's have twice that content on them.

Guest helloimtim

Thank you all so much for the quick responce. Greatly apreciated. I think that is just what I needed. I went ahead and got the instructions from the web site and will just have to play with it. Thanks again........

9.4GB?  The last time I checked it was 8.5GB

I think it still is 8.5GB.. At least that is what memorex is selling.. http://www.memorex.com/html/products_subcategory.php?section=1&SID=35&opento=3

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_layer

I think everyone might be a bit confused.. it isnt 4.7+4.7..  you loose some..

NOPE DOUBLE LAYERS ARE 9.4GB

Wrong!! Here is why!!

Q. DVD Sizes, What is DVD-5, DVD-10, DVD-9, DVD-18 and Double Layer DVDs?

FAQ

Double Layer (sometimes called Dual Layer) and Double-Sided DVDs each hold more than the standard 4.7GB of a single-sided single layer DVD. Many new DVD Burners for computers burn Double-Sided and Double (or Dual) Layer DVDs. Learn more about the different DVD sizes below.

A.

There are four different DVD sizes:

DVD-5 holds 4.7GB and is supported by the DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW formats. It is also known as Single-Sided Single Layer.

DVD-10 holds 8.75GB and is supported by the DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW formats. It is also known as Double-Sided Single Layer.

DVD-9 holds 8.5GB and is supported by the DVD+R and DVD-R formats. It is also known as Single-Sided Double Layer (sometimes called Dual Layer). The official names are DVD-R DL and DVD+R DL

DVD-18 holds 15.9GB and is supported by the DVD+R format. It is also known as Double-Sided Double Layer (or Double-Sided Dual Layer).

You must have a DVD Burner for your PC that will burn Double Layer and/or Double-Sided DVDs to use these different discs.