AGP and PCI slot difference?

fastback4

My motherboard, an AOPEN AX34 II, is prehistoric, but has a 4x agp slot 6, 32bit PCI slots. I wish to install video card in the 128 graphics range but need to know which slot would perform better for some online gaming (UT 99).  I love this game..lol....I know i'm asking alot from my dinosaur PC but money is my issue, i have none to spare. Guess i need to hang a sign on myself "Will work for better computer".....Regards to all and Happy New Year

My motherboard, an AOPEN AX34 II, is prehistoric, but has a 4x agp slot 6, 32bit PCI slots. I wish to install video card in the 128 graphics range but need to know which slot would perform better for some online gaming (UT 99).  I love this game..lol....I know i'm asking alot from my dinosaur PC but money is my issue, i have none to spare. Guess i need to hang a sign on myself "Will work for better computer".....Regards to all and Happy New Year

Hay fastback and welcome to the forum :)

Im not sure what you mean by 128 graphics range, do you already got a videocard?

Performance will be best in that AGP slot, and 4x agp perform very well, its almost no diffrense compared to 8x agp

VanBuren :)

I take it you mean the 128 mb of on board video card ram, if so I would go for the next step up 256, not that big of a diffrence and if you go with too old of a card you will regret it. When I put money in my PC it is almost always ram and VC. The AGP slot is dedicated to Graphics VC the PCI is the older way that most all internal components of the PC comunicate with the motherboard.  If money is a real issue I would say get a high level 64mb ram card instead of a midrange 128, it will perform good and the diffrence in the 64 and 128 will probably not be noticed, anything the 128 will play the 64 will do ok on, but if you are looking for Doom 3 the 128 will not pull it top shelf anyhow. :D You may have a hard time even finding a 128mb VC that is 4x instead of 8x.

there is still kinda many manufactors that use 4/8 x AGP support

if you look here i bet you find a card that suit you

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=48&DEPA=1

i suggest to use these filters

Interface [AGP 8X/4X] Max price: [200]  Keywords:[256-bit]

if you dont like to spend 200 here is a good one for  135 bucks

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-133-106&depa=1

but if you have the money go for a Radeon 9800 Pro like this one for 198,50 bucks

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-142-009&depa=1

VanBuren :)