How large will HDDs become? 1 Terabyte rigs are available now!

The Reverend

Something for everyone's Book of Worthless Information ...or maybe not?

Certainly not, as there are 1024 MBs in one GB, 1024 GB in one TB,etc.

Btw, with dual 500 Gig HDs you don't reach the 1 TB storage space.  HD manufacturers don't know that it takes 1024 MB  to get one GB, they just  use the 1000 rule to make their HDs look bigger.

I believe there's more then one zettabyte of data around, for more problably.

Plus windows never gives you your allotted amount of space anyway, so youll have even less then that. Like with my 80 GB, windows only allows me to use 74.5 GB of it -_-

From what I've heard Windows and some other software measures harddrive size a little different than HDD manufactures.

:cry: Unfortunately all technology is similar in that they ALL want to use different rules for measurement or interface, I'm sure most of us have been pissed b4 when you go to plug something in and the plug that is being used is either to big or to small. Of course when you ask someone that works for a company why they did that their answer is that its necessary to use proprietary hardware and software to protect the system(bank account).......yeah right, the truth is follow the money trail, its always about the Benjamin's......As a consumer I have no choice and thats the part I don't like......

8) Microwave

so how does this happen?  :?  I thought my government was protecting me!!....LOL  :huh:

I guess they either don't care or don't know about it. Btw, it's not only the manufacturers's fault, the file system (NTFS, FAT32, etc) also take a fair bit of space for the file table. I guess Linux uses a different way of allocating space.

i think the thing 'bout linux not losing capacity on drives like windoze is a myth, but i'll e-mail the mythbusters about it, see what jamie can come up with. the 'loss' in capacity is due to a mentality that exists in all trades: how deep, how hard and how fast can we screw the customer. they advertise with one gig = 1000mb, some even put up little disclaimers about this, then the OS has to be a bit more accurate calculating capacity, so the 1024 megs per gig rule is applied, thereby causing 'loss' of capacity.

What about moores Law? I think that it is coming true as we speak.If our speeds go up any more we will break Einstiens theory. The bigger thing about harddrives is converting them to memory( ram) insted so they stop slowing us down also why do we need to fill them up with so much junk?

:huh: