How good is your firewall?

dlewis23

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see about a 5-10% slow down when the firewall is on, but that is during a speed test.

I really don't notice any slow down in a download.

I (and most people) highly recommend a firewall.

If you want, it is easy to disable the firewall when you want to download a large file (hopefully from a trusted source) or when you want to run a speed test.

Otherwise you are sitting wide open on the web, and you won't even know who is trying to break into your machine.

Just my thoughts-

i dont really care if ppl wanna try and destroy my computer, i've fixed it once, and i've done so many tweaks, and i have warr. on it, i really dont care i have two back up. i understand where your comming from but i see a differnce in the connections when i have my firewall up, and most that i've used didnt do much.

i dont really care if ppl wanna try and destroy my computer, i've fixed it once, and i've done so many tweaks, and i have warr. on it, i really dont care i have two back up. i understand where your comming from but i see a differnce in the connections when i have my firewall up, and most that i've used didnt do much.

I Concur!!  and i do have two back ups incase something bad happens which BTW nothing has happened to my 3 year old computer since i got it in 2003 even when i was running NORTON' 

That's cool, I wasn't saying that you must have a firewall.

If you practice safe surfing, you will probably be OK.

BTW, what is your IP address? lol

Off Topic: rayray - sweet Mustang in the sig, is it a real photo, or did you come up with it?

That's cool, I wasn't saying that you must have a firewall.

If you practice safe surfing, you will probably be OK.

BTW, what is your IP address? lol

Off Topic: rayray - sweet Mustang in the sig, is it a real photo, or did you come up with it?

Its safer to have a firewall i know that for a fact' since i don't always safe surf the net!!

Off topic answer I was looking for a picture of my dreamcar and came of with this one of a 2006 Mustang with the Gone in 60 Seconds Eleonor bodykit' I just love it!!

GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2006-03-25 at 05:22:09

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

2 Ports Open

1 Ports Closed

1053 Ports Stealth

---------------------

1056 Ports Tested

Ports found to be OPEN were: 80, 515

The port found to be CLOSED was: 81

Other than what is listed above, all ports are STEALTH.

TruStealth: FAILED - NOT all tested ports were STEALTH,

- NO unsolicited packets were received,

- A PING REPLY (ICMP Echo) WAS RECEIVED

thats mine but the ports that are open i have manually opened

Well, I hadn't used Kerio Firewall since 2004, which was just a trial. It was pretty good, but I never bought and stayed with my current solution instead. Just recently, I began to have compatibility issues with my nVIDIA Hardware Firewall (may just need a fresh install of XP), so I decided to shop around for a reasonably priced, software alternative. Initially, Kerio came to mind, but I quickly noticed that they were acquired by Sunbelt in December 2005. Being that the new price of the app is actually cheaper than what the previous version renewal price was, I decided to purchase it.

As far as I know, having the latest version from Kerio would mean that you are all set to go. Both programs are supposedly the same. The only difference is the brand name. When your yearly subscription is up and it's time for you to renew, you'll have to get the Sunbelt version in order to receive any support/updates as they have taken over all technical support.

As you've probably noticed, Kerio.com will link you to Sunbelt's site when you attempt to download the personal firewall.

There is a trial of the Sunbelt version available.

FAQs