Broadcom missing network controller

gracie

hello folks, wonder if you can  help me. I have had to put a new hard drive in a laptop Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M 7400, running XP Home. No disks came with the machine, so I had to download everything from the makers website, which I did, and installed. The LAN is a Broadcom 440x Integrated Controller and seems to be properly configured - it can get onto our LAN ok, but not the internet.The machine keeps telling me it has found extra hardware, there are two 'unknown devices' in Device Manager, and it is looking for a driver for a network controller.

In searching the web I have seen that other people have had a similar problem with Broadcom not having a network controller - something about incompatibility with a kernel? but I can't find a solution.

I am getting anxious because the young man is coming a fair way to pick up his machine on Friday and I want to have it right for him - he's just a kid. 

Also, if there is no network controller, will that affect wireless capability? If he has a wireless setup at home maybe that would be separate from the Broadcom problem.

BTW, my ISP is having a bad hair day and so I have only intermittent broadband connection, which is adding to my anxiety.

Ok.. if it can get on the lan then it should be working ok.. things to check.. Make sure that the chipset driver for the computer is installed.. this is extremely important for the Centrino based notebooks.

Second thing, did you install the modem?  That will also come up as a network interface. 

Third, for some reason USB 2.0 is a pain to install.  This should install with the chipset drivers.. it might take a few restarts to kick in but everything should be working..  As long as you are getting an IP address on the wireless and ethernet nic it should get internet..

In searching the web I have seen that other people have had a similar problem with Broadcom not having a network controller - something about incompatibility with a kernel? but I can't find a solution.

That is for linux based installs my guess would be.. Broadcom is fully supported by Microsoft.

Ok.. if it can get on the lan then it should be working ok.. things to check.. Make sure that the chipset driver for the computer is installed.. this is extremely important for the Centrino based notebooks.

I have just gone back to it Swimmer, and I went into the Lan settings and ticked for automatically detect, and  then installed two 'storage' drivers - and when I  then checked to see if I could get Windows Update, I found it was working, yet it still says it wants a network controller in Device Manager.

I did install the modem

The chipset drivers... can I safely install them again if I didn't? I think I did - yes, but how can I make sure? I will go take a look at the System files.

Thank you :)

There were not any USB installs on the site - perhaps they are integrated with the chipset drivers.

This should install with the chipset drivers.. it might take a few restarts to kick in but everything should be working..  As long as you are getting an IP address on the wireless and ethernet nic it should get internet..

Sorry Swimmer, just come back on here - NTL seem to have sorted their problem out.

Everything is working with the laptop and I conclude that the network controller it is expecting a driver for must be the wireless device.

I don't know  what sort of setup the young man has at home so I can't do much about that.

Looking at your screenshot confirms that to me as that has a wireless device beneath the ethernet, same place as I am seeing 'network controller'. What else can it be?

Everything else in Device Manager is as it should be.

ps I have put it to bed now, but if you think it necessary I could take a screenshot tomorrow and post it.

Thank you for your help and encouragement :)

Swimmer, I can't get a screenshot on here, it copies to clipboard but nothing happens when I try to put the image on here. I haven't done it before so I am probably doing something wrong. No matter, there is only the one 'other device' in Device Manager now, the network controller, flagged with a yellow ! and placed immediately beneath the  Network adapter and in 'Other Devices'. When I go into its properties it says its location is PCI bus , device 6, function 0.

Gracie :)