What is the Best PC Backup Software

bluize

I am looking for an excellent System Backup Software. I want to be able to not only do a complete image but also do incremental as well. The software must be able to write to a USB Drive, CD, DVD or another hard drive. I want the maximum flexibility for backup and restore and full recovery. I don't what to have to reload my base XP OS that came with my system and then have to go through the whole upgrade of patches. The recovery software should have the complete system with all patches as well as all my programs and data. I want to be able to just lay the system back on my drive and be up and running at the point where the crash occurred.

I was using Norton Ghost 9.0, but two weeks ago I had a hard drive failure and when I put the original HP Recovery disk in to lay out the base system prior to playing back my full system and incremental, for some reason it overwrote part of my backup on my external drive. I took my external USB drive to a computer store that specializes in data recovery and they found that one of my two full system and incremental had been overwritten. However, the one from the week prior was there all 56 Megs and its incremental, however, the last 98 KB of data on the full system was over written. Since it wasn't intact, Norton wouldn't bring back the 56 megs. and incremental. I lost everything, tax returns, a book I was writing, etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Bluize

Guest thecableguy

I am looking for an excellent System Backup Software. I want to be able to not only do a complete image but also do incremental as well. The software must be able to write to a USB Drive, CD, DVD or another hard drive. I want the maximum flexibility for backup and restore and full recovery. I don't what to have to reload my base XP OS that came with my system and then have to go through the whole upgrade of patches. The recovery software should have the complete system with all patches as well as all my programs and data. I want to be able to just lay the system back on my drive and be up and running at the point where the crash occurred.

I was using Norton Ghost 9.0, but two weeks ago I had a hard drive failure and when I put the original HP Recovery disk in to lay out the base system prior to playing back my full system and incremental, for some reason it overwrote part of my backup on my external drive. I took my external USB drive to a computer store that specializes in data recovery and they found that one of my two full system and incremental had been overwritten. However, the one from the week prior was there all 56 Megs and its incremental, however, the last 98 KB of data on the full system was over written. Since it wasn't intact, Norton wouldn't bring back the 56 megs. and incremental. I lost everything, tax returns, a book I was writing, etc.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Bluize

I feel your pain.....ouch!!  This is the problem....there are very inexpensive backup programs (and they suck) and then there are very expensive programs (but they suck less).  My suggestion is that you get trial versions of ones the interest you and try them all....time consuming..yes....a pain in the rumpuss...yes....absolutely critical to determine if the software will meet your needs.....UNDENIABLE.

Try Nero 7, it does full and incrimental. I know that it writes to CD or DVD, not sure about USB. In DVD mode, it writes a bootable disk so that you need no operating system at all on the drive.

Dudes got it (toad), Nero is all I use , never had a problem . Oce you learn all of the options , you'll love it!!