I bet nobody can beat me on this 1 . no cheating :)

Blunted 2

ouch.. lol

Damn artic... how the F#@& did you get XP on that machine, haha... poor guy, 4mb video!  :(

Yeah I know ,takes 5 min to load XP .... but unlike Win98se when I would get the dreaded "Out of Memory" screen and had to reboot every 6 hrs... I can run XP for 6 days without any problems, so it may take longer to load, but I can run much longer on it.... much better memory mangement in XP.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have a couple of working Commodore 64's but no modem for them.They did make one & I think there is a club that uses this type of computer "online".I think it goes through Telnet.I really haven't investigated it much further.The VIC20 & Commodore 64 are pretty well the same computer if I'm correct & if wrong you can correct me.My favorite game for this computer is "Death Sword"I have an original copy of this game in the box on a 5.25 floppy.I also have the disk drive & the old cassette drive but nothing for the cassette.

If ArticWolf has his PC online he is the lowest yet.

Unless RTB has this online:

I could beat that, with a P1 166 MHz, 32 MB ram, and 1.2 GB HD. Too bad I dismantled my 486.

RTB ;What OS is on it now.Could you connect with that one?It would be interesting to see what speed it would test at even with a fast connection.Do you think it would load XP.I haven't checked but would it meet the minimum specs for XP?

Now for an update on VIC20 & Commodore 64.The Commodore 64 is a little better but not much.Here are the specs:

Modem. The C64 modem allowed connection to the internet as it was then and there is even a

website hosted on a C64 today. All be it a simple text one.

C64 Specs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C64 COMPUTER

GENERAL DESCRIPTION The "All Purpose" Commodore 64 us the complete computer for education, home or small business applications. Supported by quality peripherals and a full range of software, the Commodore 64 is perfect for the family. No other computer can offer such variety of uses and applications at such an affordable price. 

MEMORY 64K RAM 

ROM 20K ROM Standard (includes operating system and BASIC interpreter) 

MICROPROCESSOR 6510A Microprocessor - 1.02 MHz clock

Compatible with the 6502 

DISPLAY 40 Columns X 25 lines of text 

COLORS 16 Background, border and character colors 

CHARACTERS Upper & lower case letters, numerals and symbols

Reverse characters

All PET graphic characters 

DISPLAY MODES Text characters

High resolution graphics 

RESOLUTION 320 X 200 Pixels 

SPRITES 8 independent sprites

Each consists of 24 X 21 pixels and up to 4 colors

Each independently expandable horizontally and vertically

Collision detection for sprite to sprite and data to sprite collisions 

SOUND 6581 Sound Interface Device includes 3 independent tone generators - each with 9 octaves

Each voice includes programmable ADSR generator (Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release) and control of sawtooth, triangle, square, variable pulse and noise waveforms

Full filtering capabilities with low, high and band pass filters

External sound input 

KEYBOARD Full size typewriter style design 

KEYS 66 Keys total

2 Cursor control keys

4 Function keys (up to 8 user defined/programmable functions possible)

Upper and lower case character set

Graphic character set 

INPUTS/OUTPUTS User port

Serial port

ROM cartridge port

2 Joystick/paddle ports

Video port

C1530 Cassette drive interface port 

FEATURES Built-in BASIC 2.0 - over 70 commands, statements and functions

Full screen editor 

PERIPHERALS C1541 Disk drive

C1530 Datasette

MPS 801 Dot matrix printer

MPS 802 Dot matrix printer

MPS 803 Dot matrix printer

DPS 1101 Daisey wheel printer

C1520 Plotter/Printer

C1702 Color monitor

CM141 Color monitor 

POWER REQUIREMENTS 120 Volts, 60 Hz 

RTB ;What OS is on it now.Could you connect with that one?It would be interesting to see what speed it would test at even with a fast connection.Do you think it would load XP.I haven't checked but would it meet the minimum specs for XP?

I believe a corrupted Win98 install atm, and it would certainly be able to run XP, although loading it up would take a looong time. And as you might know, my connection is rather crippled, thanks to a constant 100 KB/s upload along with 1 - 250 KB/s down BitTorrent traffic. That tends to kill any chance for speed, or a stable ping for that matter.

I have a 166 Mhz IBM Aptiva w/Win 95...like a 2gb harddrive...cd drive...cutting edge ATI 16mb graphics...cant take a screenshot though (its not hooked up).

It works fine though, loads faster than any WinXP comp i've ever used (of course...the only thing on that comp is win95 and office 97, lol)

looks like this:

se99o3.jpg

se9a13.jpg

Wonder if I cound get my old 1985 Hyundai 80286 ( 12MHz ) with 640K and a 40MB Seagate HDD to hook up and run on this DW7000???  Prob. one of ya'll could I just don't know if I can.  Oldie but a Goodie?????  Would prob. be a struggle!!!!  I've got the mem. chips to put a meg. in it  but it splits at 512 - 512.  Got a spare Seagate 40MB HDD in it just for kicks. Running Dos 3.11 in it.

Jim

Wonder if I cound get my old 1985 Hyundai 80286 ( 12MHz ) with 640K and a 40MB Seagate HDD to hook up and run on this DW7000???  Prob. one of ya'll could I just don't know if I can.  Oldie but a Goodie?????  Would prob. be a struggle!!!!  I've got the mem. chips to put a meg. in it  but it splits at 512 - 512.  Got a spare Seagate 40MB HDD in it just for kicks. Running Dos 3.11 in it.

Jim

Now that sounds like a job! So did he win? :D

Now that sounds like a job! So did he win? :D

:haha: ,maybe I'm not sure,I'd have to dig through my closet I know I have a Toshiba laptop in there that was a 286.... thing weighed a ton... I don't remember what else was inside it as memory and such, it had Windows 3.11 though.

ArcticWolf ;I think you have the lowest one so far that is actually currently online.

The VIC20 is the least but it's not online.Like I posted there is supposed to be a club that uses the Commodore 64& the VIC20 is a Commodore just a couple of years older .But they have to use only text & communicate in BASIC.

It would be interesting to see the smallest one that could use the internet.Maybe one that could do the testmy DL&UL test.

ArcticWolf ;I think you have the lowest one so far that is actually currently online.

The VIC20 is the least but it's not online.Like I posted there is supposed to be a club that uses the Commodore 64& the VIC20 is a Commodore just a couple of years older .But they have to use only text & communicate in BASIC.

It would be interesting to see the smallest one that could use the internet.Maybe one that could do the testmy DL&UL test.

Well here is my download test

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 2502 Kbps about 2.5 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 305 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net  (main)

Test Time:: 2006/03/28 - 12:36am

Bottom Line:: 45X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.36 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 39.817 seconds to complete

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon)

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 11.6 % faster than the average for host (teksavvy.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ROJXI2AP7

But for some reason,my upload is coming up to 50kb/s,when it usually is 72 to 75kb/s

i used windows and firefox and my speeds were crap and i wanted to test linux out a little so i got knoppix and it runs off the cd so i popped it in and i can browse alot faster now and get good speeds.  the speeds i got before were about 2 mb download  on windows.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 5038 Kbps about 5 Mbps (tested with 16384 kB)

Download Speed is:: 615 kB/s

Tested From:: http://www.speakeasy.org

Test Time:: 2006/03/28 - 12:51am

Bottom Line:: 90X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.67 sec

Tested from a 16384 kB file and took 26.642 seconds to complete

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.2; Linux 2.4.27; X11) (KHTML, like Gecko)

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 16.06 % faster than the average for host (speakeasy.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-9MR3ZEHU8

I have a 166 MHz IBM Aptiva w/Win 95...like a 2GB harddrive...cd drive...cutting edge ATI 16mb graphics...cant take a screenshot though (its not hooked up).

It works fine though, loads faster than any WinXP comp i've ever used (of course...the only thing on that comp is win95 and office 97, lol)

looks like this:

se99o3.jpg

se9a13.jpg

I used to dream about this computer, lol.. really.. but it was MAD expensive so I started to built my own :-P

You mean no-one has logged in with a 8088 machine still running!!!! Also; got to be some C-64 machines still alive too.  Remember the old giant floppy drives, the old 1.2's and their predecessors(?sp), full height HDD.  Got to be some oldies in some closets out there. A room full of computing power that you can carry in your pocket now. Remember the old DEC machines that you programmed manually, punch cards, 9-pin dot matrix printers - long time ago.  Brings a tear to your eye - doesn't it!!!!!  Just think - a single hard drive for your computer with a capacity of 1TB ( 1000GB )

:D.

EWO;The VIC20 &C-64 is about as far as i remember except for pictures of the old punch card systems.I did work for a place that had the big tape reels in the main offices .I worked at their sales location but ocassionally took stuff to the main office so I saw their big air conditioned computer room.This was around 1979.Like I said I have 2 C-64 still alive but no modem.I think CA3LE's VIC20 is still alive too.But theres no way these could login to testmy.CA3LE can correct me if I'm wrong.Still it would be interesting to see the oldest & smallest CPU computers that could login.