Compression on hard drive?

ArcticWolf

I got a question,in Win XP if you right click on your hard drive, you have 2 options....1 is the fast indexing, the other is hard drive compression..... with a 3gig hard drive,how much would I gain in space, and does it slow down the hard drive read/write 's ???

Edit:

NVM, I found my answers,should of Googled it first b4 asking,so plz delete post.

Thanks.

Guest thecableguy

I got a question,in Win XP if you right click on your hard drive, you have 2 options....1 is the fast indexing, the other is hard drive compression..... with a 3gig hard drive,how much would I gain in space, and does it slow down the hard drive read/write 's ???

Edit:

NVM, I found my answers,should of Googled it first b4 asking,so plz delete post.

Thanks.

That will depend on what you actually store on the compressed drive.  Files that are already compressed cannot be compressed any further and therefore compressing the drive will offer no benefits.  Now this drive is not exactly what you would call large, in fact, it's almost not worth the effort doing anything with that drive considering that you can many times that capacity for next to nothing (not to mention much better performace).

Oh never mind....I didnt read your post all the way to the end.....

That will depend on what you actually store on the compressed drive.  Files that are already compressed cannot be compressed any further and therefore compressing the drive will offer no benefits.  Now this drive is not exactly what you would call large, in fact, it's almost not worth the effort doing anything with that drive considering that you can many times that capacity for next to nothing (not to mention much better performace).

Oh never mind....I didnt read your post all the way to the end.....

That's no problem Cableguy,but you're right, I can get a 30gig hard drive for $50 ...but the peformance would be the same is what I have now, cause the mobo only runs at ATA33... which this drive is already running at ATA33 5400rpms