RCA modem users must read

Ditch that pos.

I got a new SB5120 modem and my speeds have tripled or doubled on all speed tests...

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 7212 Kbps about 7.21 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 880 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net  (main)

Test Time:: 2006/03/28 - 11:47pm

Bottom Line:: 126X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.16 sec

Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 6.796 seconds to complete

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 47.27 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-SE7UCN691

6meg tier

• 2 weeks later...

I have an older RCA (DCM-226) and it gets the same speeds as the new one DCM-315) they temporarily leased to me to try to solve some issues.  I've been complaining for seven months about service drops and connectivity issues and they always blame it on the modem, but this time, it's their problem, not mine.

Bottom line is that they have too much noise on the line I'm on.  I was told that my Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) was 22.7 and I was told anything under 25 gets fixed.  The connection keeps dropping with the 226, and the 315 lags occasionally, and dropped once so far in the past three days.  They're coming out Monday to diagnose the situation again and actually fix it.

I don't think RCAs are bad at all.  I actually prefer and trust them more than the others that are out there.

On either modem, I still pull 6200/360.  Plenty fine for me.  The system around here just can't handle much more than that anyways.  I know people that have the 8/768 package and are getting about the same DL as I am, but their UL is pretty typical around 690.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an older RCA (DCM-226) and it gets the same speeds as the new one DCM-315) they temporarily leased to me to try to solve some issues.  I've been complaining for seven months about service drops and connectivity issues and they always blame it on the modem, but this time, it's their problem, not mine.

Bottom line is that they have too much noise on the line I'm on.  I was told that my Signal-to-Noise Ratio (SNR) was 22.7 and I was told anything under 25 gets fixed.  The connection keeps dropping with the 226, and the 315 lags occasionally, and dropped once so far in the past three days.  They're coming out Monday to diagnose the situation again and actually fix it.

I don't think RCAs are bad at all.  I actually prefer and trust them more than the others that are out there.

On either modem, I still pull 6200/360.  Plenty fine for me.  The system around here just can't handle much more than that anyways.  I know people that have the 8/768 package and are getting about the same DL as I am, but their UL is pretty typical around 690.

Your line levels are obviously bad, I had a 37db snr and couldn only get 4.4 on my DCM315 switched to SB5120 and speeds tripled...

I used to install cable modems for a living and all my cable from pole to the modem is brand new including hw, modem itself was the problem.