hard drive health

disturbed

....one if my hitachi sata hard drives started making clicking noise this morning - too bad....im afraid it might be close to dying - what is the best way of checking its 'health' and making sure I transfer the files in time

run a program called spinrite

http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

its the only program that can help save a drive.

watch the video and it will explane the way the program works, and how it can help you.

Guest thecableguy

....one if my hitachi sata hard drives started making clicking noise this morning - too bad....im afraid it might be close to dying - what is the best way of checking its 'health' and making sure I transfer the files in time

It's time to transfer files now....don't wait and don't depend on software to save your drive or your data.  there are two reasons for servo retries....one is a failing servo track and the other the detection of defective media and your drive is attempting to recover your data...in either case it's not worth losing years worth of data over.  The drive is failing and will probably not give you any more warning than you have already been given.  Hard drives are so cheap nowadays it's just not worth the risk.

One glimmer of hope though....check your drives serial number with the MFR.  You may be surprised to find out they still consider it under warranty  (don't just assume by the date on the warranty tag...call them and verify first hand!).....if so make them replace it.....

It's time to transfer files now....don't wait and don't depend on software to save your drive or your data.  there are two reasons for servo retries....one is a failing servo track and the other the detection of defective media and your drive is attempting to recover your data...in either case it's not worth losing years worth of data over.  The drive is failing and will probably not give you any more warning than you have already been given.  Hard drives are so cheap nowadays it's just not worth the risk.

One glimmer of hope though....check your drives serial number with the MFR.  You may be surprised to find out they still consider it under warranty  (don't just assume by the date on the warranty tag...call them and verify first hand!).....if so make them replace it.....

i would run this, because most likely it is a software error, i would say that there are alot of errors and the ecs is trying to replace the sectors, that will always making a louder clicking sound then your use to. spinrite will fix that for him.

Guest thecableguy

i tried running spinrite - and its stuck on the screen where it says detecting mass storage devices - its been detecting 5 minutes already  :(

i have these 2 drives in raid 0 configuration - and only one of them is clicking its way to death LOL

my hitachi drive didnt make any 'soundable' clicks at all - its normal to hear some low noise from any hard drive, but it shouldnt be very loud - this change for me happend this morning - and it was never this loud - sounds like my old compaq computer, u know...when u click on C: drive and u hear very loud clicks and then it opens it heheheheh

Guest thecableguy

well - i started an rma for this hard drive - they will ship me back a new one first and then ill transfer the data over and then ill ship it back :) good customer service :)

Perrrrrfect!!

Guest thecableguy

My new 200gig makes some noise how do you know if that means something is wrong or do they always make some noise? I mean it doesn't make much I thought it was just normal? How would you know for sure?