My AOL experiance

Marcin541

Well about a year ago I got a new computer. WIth it came 6 months free of AOL. So I said, free internet? So I turn on my new pc and during the windows installation it asked if i wanted to sugn up for the internet, and i clicked yes. I got my new telephone cable ready and hooked it up into the jack. I click New Registration and it dials some number which then tells me that there was an error. I tried it about 10 times before I got def up, and clicked existing user. I used my AIM screenname to sign up for the service. So, it worked and all and about a week later it was gone from my computer (only software, not account).

One day my dad gets a bill, for $21.95 from AOL. I called them to conacel the service and their stupid machine asks for my Secret question answer which I have no idea on what i put for it. So I call tech suport who says they will cancel my account. Little did I know, that they didnt. My dad kapt paying $14.95 now every month before I looked at the bill. That same day that i did look at the bill I told him that I would cancel it no matter what. I downloaded AOL (eww), and signed on using my dsl. I look into billing and it says my account has 900 hours for 14.95 a month. But I never changed the plan, i canceled it completely. I then went into support, which was damn hard to find. I got into live chat and asked the person there what I should do. She/He told me I should call AOL and ask them to change my secret answer question. So i did just that. To confirm I was the owner they asked for my dads credit card number. And finally I got a cancelation confirmation number and all. It was all good then. About 2 days later I got a call from AOL. The guy literally begged me to stay, offering a few months free, and cheap DSL (or cable). I said, no thank you, i got DSL and hung up. Ever since that day, aol is gone from my computer and I dont think they are still billing us.

The funny thing is that I never, EVER agreed to be billed. Neither did i agree for them to change my plan to the 900 hour broadband plan!

:( That sux and I have heard the same story many times, but you didn't give up and thats the only way to get rid of those idiots.......the idea being is if you get 6 months free you will keep their service after that, because you still have to give a C.C. to start the account, and many people after the 6months is over  just dont want the hassle to drop them......really sad just one more way they found to rip off the consumer........ ^5 2u for stopping them right away. :)

8) Microwave

Well about a year ago I got a new computer. WIth it came 6 months free of AOL. So I said, free internet? So I turn on my new pc and during the windows installation it asked if i wanted to sugn up for the internet, and i clicked yes. I got my new telephone cable ready and hooked it up into the jack. I click New Registration and it dials some number which then tells me that there was an error. I tried it about 10 times before I got def up, and clicked existing user. I used my AIM screenname to sign up for the service. So, it worked and all and about a week later it was gone from my computer (only software, not account).

One day my dad gets a bill, for $21.95 from AOL. I called them to conacel the service and their stupid machine asks for my Secret question answer which I have no idea on what i put for it. So I call tech suport who says they will cancel my account. Little did I know, that they didnt. My dad kapt paying $14.95 now every month before I looked at the bill. That same day that i did look at the bill I told him that I would cancel it no matter what. I downloaded AOL (eww), and signed on using my dsl. I look into billing and it says my account has 900 hours for 14.95 a month. But I never changed the plan, i canceled it completely. I then went into support, which was damn hard to find. I got into live chat and asked the person there what I should do. She/He told me I should call AOL and ask them to change my secret answer question. So i did just that. To confirm I was the owner they asked for my dads credit card number. And finally I got a cancelation confirmation number and all. It was all good then. About 2 days later I got a call from AOL. The guy literally begged me to stay, offering a few months free, and cheap DSL (or cable). I said, no thank you, i got DSL and hung up. Ever since that day, aol is gone from my computer and I dont think they are still billing us.

The funny thing is that I never, EVER agreed to be billed. Neither did i agree for them to change my plan to the 900 hour broadband plan!

A similer thing happened to me when I bought a laptop last year.  I used my credit card when buying it  at Best Buy and they  included  free 6 months of AOL (AOHELL)  which I wasn't going to use. What I didn't relise is that they also signed me up with AOL.

When I called to cancel the account  they litterly begged me to stay too. They kept asking me to stay even though my parents already had an account.  (don't ask, I keep trying to tell them to leave aohell)). I didn't mind listening to the aol rep beg though  :twisted:

So I've learned from that experience, when you buy a computer  or something else with 1 month free of aol, specficly ask the person at the store that you do not want aol. If you don't you may find a suprise on your credit card bill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have been using AOL sin e 1996 and i have never had a Problem with AOL at all, now i have AOL and the 6 Meg By 738K Connection from Comcast, and i use AOL for my Email and Comcast for my High Speed Provider, but i find Using AOL easier with Accessing your Email and Chating with People online, i also have AIM as well but i only use my AIM name for contact with my buddies on my Racing Team. Before Comcast i used AOL Dial-Up Service which Sucked, but now i have Comcast and i have never been happier.

IN my opinion AOL Sucks!!! I had them for like 3 months or so and every time I called to get it discounted they gave me another month or 2!!! So I stayed for 3 months then guess what I got rid of it and then I got a bill in the month for like 34 a month for 3 months!!! I called them several time and they finally I think took of on month or something but we still ended upi paying for like 2 months!!!! They ripped me off %^&%&*^@#!!!!