What's wrong?????

nocal

Brighthouse/Earthlink just upped speed to 7K down and I'm nowhere near it.

Here's what I got today:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 4149 Kbps about 4.15 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 506 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net  (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/03/31 - 12:38pm

Bottom Line:: 72X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 2.02 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 5.907 seconds to complete

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050804 Firefox/1.0.6 (MOOX M2)

Diagnosis: 90% + Okay : running at 96.89 % of your hosts average (mindspring.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-ORUSQADMT

I have a Belkin Wireless Network Card (F5D6001), Belkin Wireless Router (F5D6231), and a Scientific America  modem (from Brighhouse).

Windows XP w/ SP2.

Bighthouse tells me everything's OK on their end?

I've tweaked and tested with most everything - currently with Van Buren's Cable & DSL 6000 768  CSS.

I've never gotten better than about 85% of advertised down when it was %K down..

Help please. :confused1:

I found out what's wrong - Brighthouse/Earthlink is not supplying 7Mbps/512 as advertised. The BEST the tech, who came to my house, could get at the box on the stree was 5.9 Mbps (I didn't see this - he told me that). He confirmed there were no issues with cable or modem - yet the best I can get is 4.7 Mbps. False advertising if you ask me. But they do say "up to 7Mbps' to get out of it. Really they can't keep up with competiotrs.

I'm guessing it's DSL, and it's wellknown that DSL degrades quite fast after 3km distance from the big box, and thus you must be around 5 km. The only solutions are moving or getting cable.

The DSL2 providers here advertise with 15/1, yet that speed can only be reached within 500m of the box. One provider even offers a service to see the maximum speed attainable from a house, even though it overshoots the real maximum, it's proof that they certainly are aware of it. It's just how DSL works.

No problem. Really got pissed at BrightHouse "Senior" techs who started "song & dance" about how much better it was than a 512k phone modem and that slow speed must be due to my computer equipment and that I should call a computer tech. He then told me 5.9Mbs is only .1 away from 6Mbps and that's in range with7Mbps. In my book 5.9 is closer to 5 than itis to 7!

Guest thecableguy

I found out what's wrong - Brighthouse/Earthlink is not supplying 7Mbps/512 as advertised. The BEST the tech, who came to my house, could get at the box on the stree was 5.9 Mbps (I didn't see this - he told me that). He confirmed there were no issues with cable or modem - yet the best I can get is 4.7 Mbps. False advertising if you ask me. But they do say "up to 7Mbps' to get out of it. Really they can't keep up with competiotrs.

Not false advertising....remember...it says UP TO 7mbps.  There are many factors that will affect overall performance.  Where are you exactly (meaning geographic location...just the city and state will do).

Guest thecableguy

No problem. Really got ****** at BrightHouse "Senior" techs who started "song & dance" about how much better it was than a 512k phone modem and that slow speed must be due to my computer equipment and that I should call a computer tech. He then told me 5.9Mbs is only .1 away from 6Mbps and that's in range with7Mbps. In my book 5.9 is closer to 5 than itis to 7!

Also, please post your complete computer system...include motherboard type/cpu speed, total memory, are you using any IM software and if so what, and if you are using any firewall or protection suite..include info on that as well...

Before running the tests make sure that your firewall is turned off (totally), also make sure that you are not running ANY IM software such as MSN, AIM etc....any other programs that may inhibit bandwidth should also be terminated (you think they don't make a difference but things like AIM and Norton Internet Security make a huge difference).

Well this isn't an issue of squeezing out an extra 1-2Kbps - it's off by 30% of advertised speed. Yes I concede 5Mbps is "up to 7Mbps", but it's also "up to 15Mbps" so I can guess they can advertise "up to whatever the hell they want to" as long as they supply something.

Now as far as computer hardware - I ran a 486 w/ 512k mem w/ XP w/ an old ethernet card and a new AMD 64 3200 w/ 2 MB mem w/ XP w/ built in net card. I ran each directly into the modem - and guess what - both gave me 4.7Mbps max. I seriously doubt my hardware is part of this issue.Maybe if I wanted to go from 6.00Mbps to 6.125Mbps it would be, but not in this case.

Further, the tech who came to my house stated that the best he could get at the box on the street was 5.9Mbps - and I doubt that.

There has been no improvement since the "alleged upgrade" - maybe even a degrade.

Guest thecableguy

Well this isn't an issue of squeezing out an extra 1-2Kbps - it's off by 30% of advertised speed. Yes I concede 5Mbps is "up to 7Mbps", but it's also "up to 15Mbps" so I can guess they can advertise "up to whatever the **** they want to" as long as they supply something.

Now as far as computer hardware - I ran a 486 w/ 512k mem w/ XP w/ an old ethernet card and a new AMD 64 3200 w/ 2 MB mem w/ XP w/ built in net card. I ran each directly into the modem - and guess what - both gave me 4.7Mbps max. I seriously doubt my hardware is part of this issue.Maybe if I wanted to go from 6.00Mbps to 6.125Mbps it would be, but not in this case.

Further, the tech who came to my house stated that the best he could get at the box on the street was 5.9Mbps - and I doubt that.

There has been no improvement since the "alleged upgrade" - maybe even a degrade.

If the above is your actual hardware then yes it is your hardware or lack thereof that is the problem.....486 cpu in one case and only 2mb of ram in the other and you are complaining about speed....give me a break dude. 

RTB - Sorry 2 GB of ram on the AMD 64 3200. Yes it should max out speed.

BrightHouseGuy and/or CableGuy ...I guess you'll tell me next it must be the fact that I don't have a water softener in the house.Dam that hard water.Can never get squeaky clean hair and now this - poor connection speeds!!!

Guest thecableguy

Um, no way you can have a socket 939 system with only 2 MB ram. Whatever you may have in there, it's certainly capable of maxing your speed out.

Actually it doesnt matter what he has....Nocal's desire is not to resolve his bandwidth issues if he really has any at all.  It's pretty apparent by the demeanor of his posts that he has an issue with his provider that runs far deeper than bandwidth.  You almost have to feel sorry for any support rep or tech that has to work with him.  Nocal hasn't learned that being sarcastic and combative with technical support reps or anyone for that matter will almost never get him the results he desires.

Glad to see you mastered "cut&paste" cableguy ... I have too:

Actually ALL I want to do is resolve my bandwidth issues, but there's no way to get more bandwidth if the supplier isn't providing it ... even after listening to all of cableguy's and brighthouseguy's misdirections. Oh, and by the way, my ISP and I have kissed and made up. So now when she lies to me I believe it..

Guest thecableguy

Glad to see you mastered "cut&paste" cableguy ... I have too:

Actually ALL I want to do is resolve my bandwidth issues, but there's no way to get more bandwidth if the supplier isn't providing it ... even after listening to all of cableguy's and brighthouseguy's misdirections. Oh, and by the way, my ISP and I have kissed and made up. So now when she lies to me I believe it..

Nocal STILL hasn't learned that being sarcastic and combative with technical support reps or anyone for that matter will almost never get him the results he desires.

There are ways to determine if it is software which is slowing you down.  One way is to boot into safe mode with networking and run a speedtest.  Also, try the one "load with no loader bar" as well.

Another thing you can try is the FTP test laid out here (try at least 3 tests): http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-12193