HELP ME PLEASE !!! Got new case and motherboard

**eagle**

hello all, been awhile i got a problem and its Pi**ing me off here. i got a new computer case like 2 months ago and put my old stuff in the new one, which i did wrong :/ and i think i messed up my motherboard so i ordered a new cheapo one to put in there, now i set everything up the way it should be,(best of my knowledge)(with manual help). well when i first started it up the bios came up or whatever pretty sure i just put run default setting or something. pc restarted and now nothing is coming up on my screen it says monitor working check cables blah blah blah, so after this happened i checked to see what it could be i read you should reformat your harddrive before adding a new motherboard cause of the drivers and stuff can cause problems or something. i mean i am lost here this is the same thing that happened with my first mother board. and i am stupid when it comes to this kinda stuff, if you can help me please do if u need more information to help me let me know, i just want my pc back :(

You should not have to re-format anything, most of the time , you'll get a CD w/ a MB that contains the routines for it. Most OS have basic routines on the disk and should startup, Did you try clearing cmos?

no, whenever u change ur motherboard u WILL have to reformat. So to eagle that really the only way to get it working. I actually had a friend who did the same thing, it wouldnt start up with the new mobo and same hd, so we reformated and installed windows and bam worked like a charm.

well i kinda already reformated the drive and i did get a cd with the mb, and i did try clearing the cmos, i put the jumpers on the pins for clearing CMOS and my pc dont even turn on then, i didnt but the cd in at first. i thought i would have to actually get on the os and then but it in. just really starting to p me off :(

no, whenever u change ur motherboard u WILL have to reformat. So to eagle that really the only way to get it working. I actually had a friend who did the same thing, it wouldnt start up with the new mobo and same hd, so we reformated and installed windows and bam worked like a charm.

This is news to me , Im not a pro, but have had several HDD , moved to several MBs and NEVER had to reformat.

well i kinda already reformated the drive and i did get a cd with the mb, and i did try clearing the cmos, i put the jumpers on the pins for clearing CMOS and my pc dont even turn on then, i didnt but the cd in at first. i thought i would have to actually get on the os and then but it in. just really starting to p me off :(

Well, in any case, now you should be fine, W/ a new OS on a new MB , Still having probs?

ya but how do i do anything if i cant even see anything on my screen except for pc monitor is working check cables, thingy, i mean the pc turns on but nothing comes up on the screen at all just acts like i didnt even plug in the monitor, i have search the internet for cures, they say sometimes all you have to do is clear your cmos which i have tried but like i said the pc dont even turn on when i but the jumper in the clearing pins, they say restart your processor also which i have no idea how too. but like i said before it worked the first time and then upon restart of the pc boom nothing comes up on the screen :( i am about to thorw it out the window

if the post is when ur actually in the bios then ya, i mean the first time not sure what it really said but i beleave it said something about running it in default settings or something. but it wasnt the screen i have know the first time it worked the way it shouldve

ok here we go

Clock speed 2.17 GHz

Processor type Athlon XP

Installed processor qty 1

Max supported processor qty 1

Processor manufacturer AMD

Processor performance index 3000+

RAMRAM installed 512 MB

Max supported RAM 2 GB

Memory specification compliance PC2700

Memory speed 333 MHz

RAM form factor DIMM 184-pin

RAM technology DDR SDRAM

Video OutputGraphics processor NVIDIA GeForce4 MX

Video output form factor Integrated

Video output interface type AGP

Video output type Graphics adapter

Display (Projector)Display type None.

Service & SupportService & Support type 1 year warranty

Optical StorageCD / DVD type DVD

alright well my OS cd is acting up :(. so i tried using one from a diff pc still same crap i took the battery out for like 10 mins and nothing... man this sucks i guess i will have to get someone who knows what they are doing unlike me to get it too work again. but thanks anyways guys youve been a big help, sorry you chouldnt help me :)

Guest thecableguy

You should not have to re-format anything, most of the time , you'll get a CD w/ a MB that contains the routines for it. Most OS have basic routines on the disk and should startup, Did you try clearing cmos?

In most cases you do not need to reformat.  WinXP will notice the changes in hardware and adapt accordingly.  If it needs new drivers for the motherboard specific devices it will ask you to insert the CD or FLOPPY that contains them. 

Done this a dozen times without a single hitch.....there is one exception to this....and that is if you are going from Intel to AMD or vice versa...in situations like that I would probably reinstall your OS entirely.