Satellite Internet/TV and Cable subscribers...it's that time of year again!

Guest thecableguy

Guest thecableguy

Each Spring and Fall, satellite and cable companies experience a technical phenomenon called "sun outages." For a period of about 2 weeks, the sun causes "solar interference" to all geostationary satellite signals. As the sun's path across the sky gets lower each day, there are times when it is in a direct line behind a communication satellite that is sending signals to a receiving satellite dish here on earth. When the dish antenna is looking into the sun, the interference from the sun overrides the signals from the satellite. This is when a sun outage occurs.

Sun outages typically occur during the months of February/March/April (depending on the satellite) and September/October and can last as long as 15 minutes a day and take place over a period of 15 days. The effects of a sun fade vary in degree from minimal to total outage throughout the 15 day period. Once it reaches its peak, the interference will gradually decrease becoming less noticeable each day after.

Guest thecableguy

Nice reading, did not know that.

And it explains why some of you may have been having problems.   The information is a bit dated.  Meaning....that its for the most part over for most people but its good info to have nonetheless.  I had meant to post it 2 weeks ago and totally forgot about it....but since I am on a satellite rant tonight figured I would take care of it all in one night.