High Failed Transmissions-DW7000

My Failed Transmissions is at a minimum 50% of my Successful Transmissions and often 2-3 times higher than Successful.  The system has never work worth a darn.  My upload speed is non-existant at times.  The problem is somewhat intermittent.  Is there some obvious problem with my hardware or is this typically a software issue?

I won't bore everyone with all the details...I've done it all with tech support, the installer, etc, etc, etc.  They claim everthings perfect on their end, but I get the exact same results on two different computers one of which is brand spanking new out of the box (I am not sharing the connection either, so it's not a router issue.)

Guest thecableguy

My Failed Transmissions is at a minimum 50% of my Successful Transmissions and often 2-3 times higher than Successful.  The system has never work worth a darn.  My upload speed is non-existant at times.  The problem is somewhat intermittent.  Is there some obvious problem with my hardware or is this typically a software issue?

I won't bore everyone with all the details...I've done it all with tech support, the installer, etc, etc, etc.  They claim everthings perfect on their end, but I get the exact same results on two different computers one of which is brand spanking new out of the box (I am not sharing the connection either, so it's not a router issue.)

They have changed their diagnostic tools substantially since I last had them but here's what I do know....failed transmissions are caused by two things....bad dish alignment OR they have you on the wrong sat to begin with.  Bad dish alignment includes any obstructions between you and the dish itself. Assuming your installation is under warranty have the installer come back out and have conduct another site survey, realign the dish and even try another sat.

Don't for a second believe anythng that comes from DirecWay Technical Lack Of Support primarily because they are clueless and NOTHING is ever their fault.  Since it sounds like its been an ongoing problem I suggest that you file a complaint with bbb.com and get the problem documented and also grab the attention of the Hughes management team (thats where all BBB complaints go and it really does work).  You will also make your issues public record that other people can scan for when they are considering DirecWay as an ISP.

2 things to check....

Make sure your transmitter is grounded!  there should be a screw labed GND on it, and a copper wire running from it to the ground.  If not, static will build up on the transmitter and cause this problem.

2nd, there is a manufactuing defect on some new installs, where water will build up in the feed horn window.  Just go to the dish and look at the LNB.  If there is water, that is/or is another problem that a DWAY tech will need to fix.

I had the exact same problem......issue was fixed with a phone call

Another NOC problem....signal good, transmitter grounded, x-pol good......still had 30-50% failed transmissions after getting the rate code changed to a 4/5 , back to less than 1% as normal

First, thanks for the info guys.  From the top...

Cableguy:  dish alignment tech came last week (and apparently we have the same tech.)  Checked it all and said it was 'not on their end'.  At your suggestion I filed the complaint with BBB last night. 

Ghostmaster:  I am clearly grounded, excellent instructions.  I am not exactly sure what the 'feed horn window' is, although I think we have one in the barn (no-where's-ville KY, hence the obvious need for d-way,) however, I did examine the whole thing and didn't see water standing anywhere.

Fiekster:  Found the link to advanced mode and read that the rate code (whatever that could possibly mean) is at 4/5.

OK, obviously I look smarter than I am...that's why your input is greatly appreciated.

Again.

I had Direcway in FL......I highly recommend swithcing isp.  I had your same problem.......and the problem was never at there end.  I fixed the problem after two months of complete crap service and idiots that could barely speak english......I tried to cancel and they said I was under contract......simle fix...quit paying them.  My best sudgestion would get dsl ....if you cant get it in your area try getting isdn.  good luck... your gonna need it with those bone heads.

Lets think about this for a bit....if Direcway customers could all get DSL good chance they would not be an ISP today? My guess is 99.9999% of Dway users can not get DSL or anyother service other than satellite.......here I thought everybody already knew that?  :whaa:

Welcome to the forum purefunk. :wave:

.I highly recommend swithcing isp.  I had your same problem.......and the problem was never at there end.  I fixed the problem after two months of complete crap service and idiots that could barely speak english......I tried to cancel and they said I was under contract......simle fix...quit paying them.  My best sudgestion would get dsl ....if you cant get it in your area try getting isdn.  good luck... your gonna need it with those bone heads.

Have you seen the car payment prices $$$ for there service.  :angry4:

$129 for 144

$379 for 384

$479 for 768

$519 for 1.5

If you will pay the bill, I want the 1.5, thanks but no thanks. Oh yeah, free install.  :haha:

ISDN??? Really?  Is that the only option?  (It seems so 1998 to me.)

DSL and cable are not options...believe me, I've tried.  Seriously, I'm not just trying to buy tulip bulb on ebay...I have 10k/day in credit card transaction to run.  Not to mention I am start-up (literally launched a biz 8 months ago) and really don't want to chuck out the money for a  T1 (although I called about it today.)

I need to send email w/ a fricking attachment, do a little research online, process cc transactions, file a claim with FedEx, etc. and it's just not possible.  I can't even pay my bills online or see my bank balance.  I think if someone in Paraguay can do it with Direcway, why can't I?

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Guest thecableguy

if you can't get DSL, ISDN probably isn't going to be very good either...

Actually not true.....you can get ISDN in almost any location (within reason).  The only problem is that even with both channels bonded (assuming your telco allows bonding) you are still talking about unacceptable performance (128k).  In addition to that you will still have to find an ISP that supports ISDN (most do not).  Remember even with ISDN you have still have to "dial in".  I was however able to find one that will give you a bonded connection....but keep this in mind...you will still have to get your telco to provide you with the actual ISDN line and modem.  Also keep this in mind...just because this company can handle bonded ISDN does not mean you will actually be able to connect as bonded.  If you have to transverse lata's and the secondary carrier does not support bonded ISDN connections you will be forced to operate single channel to connect.

The company is http://www.dedac.com/

For those who don't know ISDN stands for Integrated Services Digital Network and has been around for a very long time and was for us diehard Internet and BBS users THE way to go many years ago.  Back in the day if you had an ISDN line or multiples of them you were the snit man.  The connection was considered to be much better than dialup in both reliability and bandwidth (again during its day).  Nowadays it's been replaced for all intents and purposes by DSL but in areas where DSL is not an option ISDN is an option...even today.

Okay...now that I have totally shown my real age.....oh wait....must be old age....forgot to say good luck! :haha: :haha: :haha:

Guest thecableguy

ISDN??? Really?  Is that the only option?  (It seems so 1998 to me.)

DSL and cable are not options...believe me, I've tried.  Seriously, I'm not just trying to buy tulip bulb on ebay...I have 10k/day in credit card transaction to run.  Not to mention I am start-up (literally launched a biz 8 months ago) and really don't want to chuck out the money for a  T1 (although I called about it today.)

I need to send email w/ a fricking attachment, do a little research online, process cc transactions, file a claim with FedEx, etc. and it's just not possible.  I can't even pay my bills online or see my bank balance. I think if someone in Paraguay can do it with DirecWay, why can't I?

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

See my post above...ISDN may work for you nicely in a CC processing situation if you have no other alternatives.

My new modem arrived.  Here are my latest stats...

Successful Transmissions:  28798

Failed Transmissions:  3572

Packets Submitted:  9607

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 105 Kbps about 0.11 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 13 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net  (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/04/07 - 6:50am

Bottom Line:: 2X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 78.77 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 234 seconds to complete

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; (R1 1.5); .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Diagnosis: Looks Great : 16.67 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-DVU3KCJLA

What do you think?

Professional Plan:

Connection is:: 157 Kbps about 0.16 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 19 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/04/07 - 12:35pm

Bottom Line:: 3X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 53.89 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 52.81536 seconds to complete

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; (R1 1.5); .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 74.44 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-5VGF40TEW

• 2 weeks later...

Professional Plan:

Connection is:: 157 Kbps about 0.16 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 19 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/04/07 - 12:35pm

Bottom Line:: 3X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 53.89 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 52.81536 seconds to complete

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 74.44 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-5VGF40TEW

200 upload is the best you will get with the pro plan. What is your download? High transmission failures can also be caused by a bad cable run. Are you hitting the FAP, you sound like a pretty heavy user. If your doing 10k a day in cc transactions and other things maybe you need a commercial package. Your transmit failures are high but will this service be acceptable even when running its best?

Have you checked your XPOL values, forced ranging, etc... Since my initial problems with the 7000 right after I got it, I have no complaints, even in the evening. It took about 3-4 weeks before it got sorted out. My upload speeds are very consistent. Very rarely lower than the 180K range.

I do have a higher level of failed transmissions with the 7000. I cleared my statistics this AM, then ran this test.

Connection is:: 209 Kbps about 0.21 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 26 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/04/17 - 3:49am

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 39.38 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 117.45024 seconds to complete

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.2) Gecko/20060308 Firefox/1.5.0.2

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 129.67 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-9I2TVM6BH

Here is the values from the transmission page: (always around 1% or a little higher)

Transmitter ready. (TxCode 8)

Number of Successful Transmissions  5717

Number of Failed Transmissions 5

Number of Packets Submitted for Transmission 2592

Downloads have been nice lately. I have had several people say these are burst speeds, but downloaded a 10MB file the other day and ended up at 158 Kbps for the whole download.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1246 Kbps about 1.25 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 152 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/04/17 - 3:56am

Bottom Line:: 22X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 6.74 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 19.672 seconds to complete

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.2) Gecko/20060308 Firefox/1.5.0.2

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 27.4 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-R5MXDF6IE

You could always use the Seattle mirror on this site to make yourself feel better about being a DWAY customer!!  :haha:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 5696 Kbps about 5.7 Mbps (tested with 4096 kB)

Download Speed is:: 695 kB/s

Tested From:: http://www.speakeasy.org

Test Time:: 2006/04/17 - 4:00am

Bottom Line:: 99X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.47 sec

Tested from a 4096 kB file and took 5.891 seconds to complete

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 482.41 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-RB54X2LUI