Earthlink / Brighthouse isn't supplying!

nocal

Earthlink / Brighthouse says they went to 7/512 from 5/386, but they didn't - at least not in my area. I measured NO DIFFERENCE from 5/386. Called  techs & had techs out to house. Was told everything was A-OK - except no speed change. Tech told me best he could get - at box on the street - was 5.99 Mbps. So if you're in Central Florida and think you can practically get over 6Mbps, I wouldn't get you hopes up. I guess 5Mbps is "UP TO 7Mbps"!

i upgraded to their 10/1 for the extra 15 dollars. I wasn't getting the entire 10mbps for a long time. last week, i was also recieving really terrible service for about a day. now I have seen speeds up to 1.1mbyte/s download and 125 kbyte/s upload.

i just ran the test and i was ~7.5 mbps and ~955 kbps. I have seen better and I have seen worse. I really just wanted the extra upload, so i'm comfortable with the 7.5 and not the full 10.

I would give it a little time. btw, I am in Orlando near UCF's main campus, if that makes a difference to you at all.

Guest thecableguy

Can this be moved to the thread upon which this started which was (WHATS WRONG???) Nocal please keep the post under one thread so we can help you....having to trace down your responses in two seperate threads for the same issue is real pain.

Guest thecableguy

I think you're being kind. I've talked to their techs and they do "song and dance" saying they are NOW supplying "UP TO" 7Mbps. They even tried to blame slow speeds on my computer equipment.

Several people have tried to address the issues with you Nocal in the other thread you started (same subject).  Please refer back to that thread....

I will say this much....for asking for help you are certainly abbrasive.  I hope you were not that way with the people on the phone or you may not have had your problems addressed.  PC speed plays a major role in internet performance.  I asked you some very specific questions about your hardware that you have yet to answer and so have other people.  Please take a moment and answer the questions.

Thanks!

Guest thecableguy

i upgraded to their 10/1 for the extra 15 dollars. I wasn't getting the entire 10Mbps for a long time. last week, i was also recieving really terrible service for about a day. now I have seen speeds up to 1.1mbyte/s download and 125 kbyte/s upload.

i just ran the test and i was ~7.5 Mbps and ~955 Kbps. I have seen better and I have seen worse. I really just wanted the extra upload, so i'm comfortable with the 7.5 and not the full 10.

I would give it a little time. btw, I am in Orlando near UCF's main campus, if that makes a difference to you at all.

10/1 is not $15.00, it's $10.00 extra per month and depending on your circumstances you should have no trouble at all getting great performance.  Since you didn't post any specifics its kind of hard for us to tell anything.

Also which speed tests did you use...checked under your user name and could find no recorded results.  Are you logged in to tmn when you do your speed tests or are you using another site?

Guest thecableguy

s

The upgrade might not be complete yet so they are still working some things out. I've been suffering through slow speeds, last week all I got was 2-3Mbps but now I'm up to 5 which still isn't that good because I'm paying for premium. You just have to be patient.

If your modem contains the new BIN file you should have the new speeds....one thing to do is hard reset the modem.  If you do not have the most current BIN that will force the download.  The 7/512 BIN file was pushed to all modems some time ago.  As for "upgrade not being complete", there was no plant upgrade required....the same goes for 10/1 or 15/2...no plant upgrades required...in other words....if ya got the BIN...you should have the speed.

Guest thecableguy

I wonder when we will all get the 7/512 speeds, or is this strictly Florida?

That I can't answer but will try to get the answer shortly and post it for ya.

UPDATE: Looks like FL is the only base at 7/512, others locations offer it but it's considered the "premium" internet.  I did a quick check so please don't hold me to that.

Config? Like my network setup?

I've got the sb4200 modem and newly purchased whr-g54s router complete with dd-wrt v23 firmware (thanks to swimmer) and the computer I test on most of the time is wired directly. I don't know why the slowdown but Im hoping theres an upgrade soon. I usually can get like 7.5 down and 60 up but recently its been pretty terrible.

CableGuy - Didn't want this to crossover into two posts, but felt it was important that if someone looks up Earthlink here they find out they are not supplying what they say - period. And it's not close. I've posted my config's  in the What's Wrong thread (www.testmy.net/forum/t-13033). But that is totally irrelevant in this issue - I'm not squeezing out an extra 1kps. I want some of that 40% increase they loudly advertise. And as I said they CYA'd themselves by saying "up to 7Mbps", but they can say anything is "up to whatever the hell they want to" then ... as long as they supply something.

Also Thanks to everyone here for their help and input (richcornucop). I really do appreciate it. And - cable guy - I'm not "abbrasive", but I am abrasive. So do you work for Brighthouse or something? They wanted me to check my hardware too and wanted me to get a PC tech out to look at it. Is that the typical "smoke-and-mirror" stuff they do when they aren't supplying what they say?

Guest thecableguy

I think you pretty much confirmed it...your attitude is going to be the biggest factor in keeping you from resolving your problems....I asked you for specific information in an effort to assist you but frankly after your last post I no longer care.....my hunch is that your attitude also is hindering your relationship with your ISP as well.  Good Luck!

Funny CableGuy, that's exactly what the BrightHouseGuy said. So I'll take your advice - I now signed up with Dr. Phil for 6 months of attitude adjustment. He guarantees that for every seminar (paid) I attend, I'll see 100kps improvement in my internet speed. In addition, he'll throw in a free back alignment. PM me if anyone wants the number. Thanks again for your valuable input.Also, I really do want a fabulous relationship with my ISP so I started reading "Men are from Mars and ISP's are from Venus". What a great book! Five Stars!

Guest thecableguy

Nocal's desire is not to resolve his bandwidth issues if he really has any at all.  It's pretty apparent by the demeanor of his posts that he has an issue with his provider that runs far deeper than bandwidth.  You almost have to feel sorry for any support rep or tech that has to work with him.  Nocal hasn't learned that being sarcastic and combative with technical support reps or anyone for that matter will almost never get him the results he desires.

Actually ALL I want to do is resolve my bandwidth issues, but there's no way to get more bandwidth if the supplier isn't providing it ... even after listening to all of cableguy's and brighthouseguy's misdirections. Oh, and by the way, my ISP and I have kissed and made up. So now when she lies to me I believe it..

Guest thecableguy

Actually ALL I want to do is resolve my bandwidth issues, but there's no way to get more bandwidth if the supplier isn't providing it ... even after listening to all of cableguy's and brighthouseguy's misdirections. Oh, and by the way, my ISP and I have kissed and made up. So now when she lies to me I believe it..

Nocal STILL hasn't learned that being sarcastic and combative with technical support reps or anyone for that matter will almost never get him the results he desires

10/1 is not $15.00, it's $10.00 extra per month and depending on your circumstances you should have no trouble at all getting great performance.  Since you didn't post any specifics its kind of hard for us to tell anything.

Also which speed tests did you use...checked under your user name and could find no recorded results.  Are you logged in to tmn when you do your speed tests or are you using another site?

The 10mbps/1mbps is an extra 15 dollars with Brighthouse in Orlando, FL. the 7/512 is $45, and the 10/1 is $60. that's 15 dollars. I pay the bill each month, so I kind of know what I'm being charged. http://cfl.mybrighthouse.com/services/high_speed/RoadRunnerPackages.aspx

I wasn't complaining. I was trying to assist nocal, by telling him my situation, as I am also in the Central Florida region. I've never been logged on while doing my speedtest is why you don't see my speeds. I dont' really have any problems though. I mean, I can post up whatever you need to know, but it won't really assist me, as I get "up to 10 mbps download" and "up to 1 mbps" upload during non-peak hours. during peak hours, i still get around 6-7 mbps down and around 900 kbps up.

not trying to start any trouble, just trying to help.

Thanks Gotta - It's too bad Birighthouse/Earthlink isn't or can't supply what they say they do; but at least I know I'm not the only one. And I've come to the conclusion that "cableguy" ia AKA "brighthouseguy" and gets defensive when the truth is pointed out about their connection speeds. So he says things like it's still "great performance", but that  doesn't cover up the fact that - at best - it's misleading advertising. A bigger farce is the brighthouse speed test versus any reputible one on the net. Want faster speeds - take their test!