Digital Camera

For the past week I've been reading several reviews on digital cameras/webcams (PC-Cams) in hopes of getting a good one. At first, I narrowed my choices down to a couple of selections.

Which were:

1.) Logitech ClickSmart 820

1917.jpg

Main Features

Resolution 2.0 Megapixel

Webcam Capability Yes

Colour Support Colour

Optical Sensor Type CCD

Total Pixels 2,100,000 pixels

Effective Sensor Resolution 1,920,000 pixels

Digital Zoom 2 x

Shooting Modes Frame movie mode

Exposure Modes Automatic

White Balance Automatic

Digital Video Format AVI

Still Image Format JPEG

Video Capture 10 fps - 60 sec - AVI - 320 x 240 - with 8MB built-in memory

- 320 x 240 - web camera mode

- 640 x 480 - web camera mode

2.) Creative PC-CAM 880

CreativePcCam880at200.jpg

Main Features

Resolution 2.0 Megapixel / 3.0 Megapixel (interpolated)

Webcam Capability Yes

Colour Support Colour

Optical Sensor Type CMOS

Total Pixels 2,000,000 pixels

Interpolated Image Resolution 3,145,728 pixels

Digital Zoom 4 x

Shooting Modes Frame movie mode

Exposure Modes Automatic

White Balance Automatic

Digital Video Format AVI

Still Image Format JPEG

Video Capture 8 fps - 76 sec - AVI - 640 x 480 - with 16MB built-in memory

15 fps - 98 sec - 320 x 240 - with 16MB built-in memory

10 fps - 640 x 480 - web camera mode

Although both cameras are very close in comparison, the difference that matters most to me is the sensor type. As you can see, the "Logitech ClickSmart 820" has a CCD Sensor (Charged-Coupled Device) while the "Creative PC-CAM 880" has a CMOS Sensor (Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor). Being that CCD sensors produce far better image quality than CMOS sensors, I decided to go with the "Logitech ClickSmart 820" due to the fact that it received better reviews than the "Creative PC-CAM 880" (which received several bad reviews).

I had my mind made up until I came across this marvelous device.

Trust 910Z PowerC@m Optical Zoom Home Page Specs

product-5599368.jpg

Main Features

Resolution 3.1 Megapixel / 5 Megapixel (interpolated)

Webcam Capability Yes

Colour Support Colour

Optical Sensor Type CCD

Effective Sensor Resolution 3,014,656 pixels

Light Sensitivity ISO 100, ISO 200

Digital Zoom 4 x

Shooting Modes Landscape, portrait mode, macro, night scene

Exposure Modes Programme, automatic

White Balance Automatic, presets

White Balance Presets Incandescent, fluorescent, daylight, shade

Still Image Format JPEG

So, in closing, I've decided to go with the "Trust 910Z PowerC@m Optical Zoom".

I have a problem though. I can't seem to find a vendor that has a US shipping option. Does anyone know if this camera is available in the US, and if not, is there an available english version?

And how much is the listed price in US money? Look Here

I added a .pdf document for those interested in CCD vs CMOS.

well, if you're looking in the 250 300 us$ range, take a look at the kodak dx 7440. picked that bad boy up a month ago and am happy with it. 4 MP, but with a 4x optical zoom. disregard digital zoom, since that's just the incredible inflatable pixel. ;)

depending on how serious you want to e snapping pix, this one is nice because you get decent pictures in the auto mode, and you can fiddle with the widgets to your hearts content on manual.

and what's all the bad vibes about trolls? they are some of my favorite SR chars...

well, if you're looking in the 250 300 us$ range, take a look at the kodak dx 7440. picked that bad boy up a month ago and am happy with it. 4 MP, but with a 4x optical zoom. disregard digital zoom, since that's just the incredible inflatable pixel. ;)

Yeah, the specs for that camera are pretty damn nice. I just didn't see a wabcam feature. I really want to get a high quality digital camera (with a CCD lens) that supports webcam capabilities as well.

ah, color me stupid. missed the webcam part.

hm. buy decent digicam, then standalone webcam? sounds to me like the combos give too much away on the digicam end, in favor of the webcam option...

and the video function is really nice. on the 512sd card i popped in i can take 48 minutes of 320*240 at good framerate.

well, yo piqued my interest on the subject, so i did a quick google, and it seems that quite a few of the fuji (www.fujifilm.com) have the webcam feature. they also seem like nice digicams. what is probably a big minus is the fact that they are rather pricey.

i stand by my previous verdict. forget about compromises. you never get what you really need. buy decent cam and decent webcam, probably save money in the process, and you can pick both for it's specialized features.

but then, i could be wrong. :)

A couple of years back I had a PC-CAM 750. It took great digital pics and was the best webcam I'd ever used. Both of those features worked very well because of the CCD optical sensor.

When Creative launched the more recent PC-CAM 850, 880, 900, and 920, they seemed to have taken a step down in the image processing & clarity catagory, largely due to the fact that they were designed around a CMOS sensor. From a digital camera standpoint, the images turn out very distorted at high resolutions. As a webcam, there is