does cable modem connect to one and only one computer?

I am attempting to diagnose a 2nd computer for a friend. Her computer is littered with spyware and viruses; I am attempting to see if I can connect the 2nd computer online by using the same cable modem I have for my own computer. Is this possible? Because while troubleshooting the 2nd computer (by the way I am using an ethernet connection), I am getting a 169 ip address; release/renew have failed; no Winsock issues, tried Spybot and that is not working. I have even tried going back to the original configuration and it is still not working. Any idea of how I can resolve the 169 ip address if it can be resolved? If there is any clarification needed, I will be more than happy to give it.

I am attempting to diagnose a 2nd computer for a friend. Her computer is littered with spyware and viruses; I am attempting to see if I can connect the 2nd computer online by using the same cable modem I have for my own computer. Is this possible? Because while troubleshooting the 2nd computer (by the way I am using an ethernet connection), I am getting a 169 ip address; release/renew have failed; no Winsock issues, tried Spybot and that is not working. I have even tried going back to the original configuration and it is still not working. Any idea of how I can resolve the 169 ip address if it can be resolved? If there is any clarification needed, I will be more than happy to give it.

if your trying to connect 2 computers on 1 cable modem, then no, you need a router to do that.

You can connect another PC directly to that modem, but it is important to reset the modem also.  Try unplugging the power source for about 45 secs.  Some models also have a reset button (like a pinhole) that you would need to use while the power is disconnected. 

Check this out for further help: http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-6025