xplornet connection speed

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly do like rural living and have been doing it since moving out of the city 25 years ago. But such service as high speed phone lines, cable TV etc., are non-existent. In fact, I was so dissatisfied with Ma Bell I had my phone disconnected and now only use my cell phone and VoIP. I do have satellite TV though and sometimes high speed xplornet. Speaking of which, as I was about to sit down to supper last night I got a call on my cell phone from a level 3 tech who said that I had complained to the local distributor about the slow service. We talked at length (30 minutes) about the problems and he admitted that there was 'an issue' with the Woodstock tower that I receive my signal from. He also told me that the radio head I have is not designed to get the 5 Mbps that I was signed up for so I was wasting my money. My question was "why did they allow me to sign up for it then." Of course that is a different department. Anyway, we did some tests and we recycled everything, he also took me off the 5 Mbps package and put me back to the 3 Mbps package removing it from my billing from when I signed up for the higher package a few weeks ago, which I was appreciative of. We did more speed tests and got a download speed of 1722 kb/s and Upload of 503 kb/s which he said was the best I could expect. He then said he wanted to check something else and put me on hold, unfortunately the battery in my cellphone died after a further five minutes on hold so that was the end of the conversation.

Well Well, No call back from level 3 yet!!!!, I'm getting seriously disappointed with the lack of service after spending all this money with the company, getting to the point of actually thinking about just shutting off xplornet and going to dial up waiting with fingers crossed that Telus comes thru with the DSL, seriously I can think of a lot of ways to spend the $65 a month I will save by having dial up, sure I'll miss being able to download mp3's, and working on my website will take hours rather than minutes, simple things like checking my bank balance will take 10 times longer, The thought of it brings a tear to my eye, but I cannot continue to support such a poor company, unless Xplornet calls me and fixes the problem properly and for good this time IE: my speeds stay above 1.2 MB, for at least 1 month I'm afraid I will have to pull the plug and give them back their $10 a month antenna and bite the bullet on the $600 install, seriously guys I'm all out of energy trying to fight with this crappy connection.

I got off the phone with the level 3 techs for my situation yesterday, they told me that they needed to replace the backhaul between two towers, they also told me that it will take a few weeks so I asked who would I contact to get a discount on my service they told me that a supervisor would call me back, so 4 hours went by and i called them asking to speak to one, they advised me that she just went on lunch and would call me back within the hour, that was last night and lo and behold -- no call, I'm calling them up tonight and giving them an ear full, this is absurd, I'm not going to pay full price for a service I'm getting about 1/20th of what i should be getting.

Just for the record, my speeds within the last week have dropped to 300kbits/s where 2 months ago i was getting 2800 - 3200 solid

Well I have had some action from Xplornet. On Friday just as I was about to have supper, I had a phone call from the CEO who apoligised for the delay getting back to me saying the letter did not get to him in a timely manner. He said he was sorry that I was having the problems that I noted and that he would look into it right away and have someone get back to me. Today, I received a call from the level 3 supervisor, who had been given my letter from the CEO and told to look into it. He had checked the 'tickets' and was not happy with the way the level 3 people were handling the problem. He told me that they were aware of the problem and are taking steps. Today they got permission to use a third party tower which has a larger pipe to the internet and will start installing the newest equipment. He said for me to be patient as it will take about four weeks to get everything in place and all the testing done before it becomes operational.

I called the supervisor the night after my post and she was explaining to me that they have filed for a new license and that it will take approx 3-4 weeks before my speed will be back up and running full tilt, so in the mean time I asked her about a discount as I don't think I should be paying full price for a fraction of the connection, she told me that she had to get approval for the discount, well the following day she called me and told me that I could get 50% off until the problem is fixed, which I was surprised at the amount but she felt sympathetic towards my situation and even just that little bit of humanity made me feel like this is an ISP that is trying but has to grow in order to survive, right now they have hit the max on what they can offer with what they have.

Rock and Roll, I hope it goes well. And is worth the wait.  :grin2:

So any reimbursment on the slow speeds as far as a reduction in payments for a while to make up for it?  :roll:

Well one of the people I talked to on the phone assured me that when this "issue" was resolved, it would be sent on to accounting who would determine the rebate which would then be passed on to billing and I would be credited accordingly. :undecided:

In all honesty guys, you can't compare wireless to each other unless you're in the same area as you would be on different networks and Xplornet has different transit providers for every network they have. If one network is having speed problems, that doesn't mean the others will.

Satellite, on the other hand, is a tricky call. [geek]

• 2 weeks later...

Well Well, today I am receiving a new 2.4 ghz antenna due to the fact that we have new towers out here and someone at xplornet forgot to inform me that i was qualified for an upgrade, also I got the whole story from the installer that is coming to switch out my antenna, it seems xplornet sold out on their bandwidth and are now using some extra from Telus instead of Shaw (BigpipeInc.) That is the reason everyone is experiencing a slow down out on the Alix tower, Also our new burst speed is only going to be able to reach about 1.2 mbps until they get this situation worked out with the bandwidth, but at least I now have the real reason and am once again an informed customer, although I will be on the phone with xplornet later today to fight for having to pay for full speed when they are unable to provide anything near that level.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 3288 Kbps about 3.3 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 401 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/02/20 - 12:50pm

Bottom Line:: 57X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 2.55 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 7.453 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 292.36 % faster than the average for host (255.165)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-DPO6T0IEH

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [!]

First test with new 2.4 antenna, WOW notice the speed I am actually getting what I pay for now, its almost a shame that I am in the middle of selling my house and will soon be moving away from my once again high speed wireless connection!!! Xplornet has got to be the stupidest company I have ever dealt with and even with my speeds getting back to good they owe me and all the other customers out here huge apologies I cant wait to move back into the city and deal with Shaw cable again, wow who would have thought the idea of dealing with Shaw's billing problems and poor installers would be a plus hey?? anyways have a great day everyone and to those that haven't yet received their new 2.4 antennas, keep on fighting one day you too will be on internet thats a fast as what they told you when they took all your hard earned money to install it!

this is on a 700/128 satelite connection

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 980 Kbps about 0.98 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Download Speed is:: 120 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 118 Kbps about 0.1 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 14 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/02/21 - 2:46pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-YNAXL9UGC

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-RA9ZPMOXL

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30) [!]