Virtual Memory

wak_wak

Welcome to the forum, wak_wak.

In XP, you can specify the paging file.  Here's how:

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/wxpvmem.htm

Quote from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308417

The recommended minimum size is equivalent to 1.5 times the RAM on your computer, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. For example, if you have 256 MB of RAM, the minimum size is 384 MB, and the maximum size is 1152 MB.

Also try this anti-malware scan: www.ewido.net/en/onlinescan

Oh yea, I forgot about the second part of the question. Well there is quite a few things to do about your pc speed. Depending on your system you can turn off many services through control panel-admin. tools-services, make sure unneeded items are deleted from your startup folder, Keep your system defragmented, and make sure you keep your cookies, temporary internet files, and temp folder clear. You can download CCleaner which I use and like to clear these things and more for you. Basically you are just freeing up more ram so you arent using virtual memory. Hope this helps, and welcome to the forum! :)

Thanx guys, its a great help, ive done it already. What would be the maximum? This depends on your memory, right? My RAM is 128 MB.

Right now i set it to 142 MB minimum and 350 MB maximum.

suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Another question, how could i check if my 2.0 GHz processor is working on its maximum? its celeron and im using XP.

Thanx!

wak_wak ;Like tommie gorman  more RAM but not too much for some PC's.On the virtual memory you are going to see all kind of suggestions.You just need to try some settings & if you get an out of memory warning increse the max setting about 25%.I personally like zero for my minimum.some say set min & max the same;Others say let Windows manage it.I posted a pretty tech article on it awhile back that might help you understand virtual memory better.I will see if I can find it & link you to it.

Here you go give this a read:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

@cholla

thanx for the help and the link you gave me was very helpful.

got another problem, when you hit ctrl+alt+del the task manager will appear, right? but when i press the ctrl+alt+del the task manager will not appear another program will pop out. what should i do?

thanx!

Myself, I have 1.5GB of RAM and I set my pagefile to 1024 minimum and 3052 maximum... but then again I use programs that use a lot of memory, especially the way I use them...

512MB of RAM should be plenty for web surfing... even 256MB should be ok.  As for the pagefile, it mainly depends on how much hard drive space you have available.  There's no point in setting it really small because you'll just get errors.  Setting it large doesn't kill performance either... if your computer needs 512MB in virtual memory, it's going to want 512MB whether the max is 256MB or 1024MB (although you shouldn't need that much for virtual memory either... I'd say 384MB Initial and 768MB Maximum)

Personally I feel if your not gaming ,or multitasking ,why do you need more that 512 MB ram? as far as the page file , once again , if your not gaming , either let windows adjust , or as PHP states! :D  Correct me if I'm wrong , this is more or less simply put a swap file , in which slows , or is a bottleneck. I say if you think you need more ram .....do it! not page , unless your gaming and need more memory than your board will handle. just an opinion :D

i'll follow your advices guys, i guess adding some MB in my memory will fix the problem.

Thanx!

another question for you guys,

Is there a program or software that can monitor the performance of your canopy antenna? Im using a canopy antenna for my internet connection, i just want to check once in a while if its

working properly.

thanx again!

i personally run zero virtual memory (pagefile size) as i was having tons of kernel inpage errors/BSOD; no doubt caused by something other than the pagefile (hardware conflicts/cheap RAM i suspect) but reducing the level to zero fixed this problem...until i find the real cause of the kernel inpage errors.

-JxL