WIRELESS ROUTER

hid

hey all ;)

i am thinking of buying a wireless router for my PC so that i can have access to the internet from a different room.

also i want to share the internet with my brother and his PC.

i have a 4MB broadband package.

i'm new to all this router things :whaa: :whaa:. so could someone help me and tell me what i need to do and which are is the best one to buy.

will i need anything additional or not.

Please help :D

hey all ;)

i am thinking of buying a wireless router for my PC so that i can have access to the internet from a different room.

also i want to share the internet with my brother and his PC.

i have a 4MB broadband package.

i'm new to all this router things :whaa: :whaa:. so could someone help me and tell me what i need to do and which are is the best one to buy.

will i need anything additional or not.

Please help :D

Theres things like b, g super g, pre n etc which are different wireless standards. How far will you need the wireless to reach? Will the router be in one room and the pcs in just the room other? Explain the layout, this will help us determine what kind or router will suite you.

thanks

so let me get this straight.

i need to buy a wireless router and connect that into one PC (The PC and Router will be in same room). I then need to purchase a network card and connect that into another PC (one in the other room).

are wireless adapters same as network cards or some thing else.

My main purpose is to get Internet Access in my room while the modem and the orginal internet line is in my brothers room. I want to get internet signal/line to my room all wirelessly and be able to use the internet.

if anyone could explain a bit further, that would help. 

also WATS A D-LINK AND why do some routers have 54mbps or 108mbps on them. for example Linksys Wireless-g Network Kit 54mbps.

which one will i need.

Please help.

Ok, lets keep it easy.

A wireless network adapter its basically a network card but uses wireless instead of a ethernet cable.

you will need a router, and a wireless network card for each desktop computer you want to connect to the internet. Also beware of signals obstruccions if you brothers room if far away or have concrete walls separating the rooms, my recomendation is a netgear router. A 54 Mbps router will do the job fine thats the 802.11g standard go with b&g compatible.

Ok, lets keep it easy.

A wireless network adapter its basically a network card but uses wireless instead of a ethernet cable.

you will need a router, and a wireless network card for each desktop computer you want to connect to the internet. Also beware of signals obstruccions if you brothers room if far away or have concrete walls separating the rooms, my recomendation is a netgear router. A 54 Mbps router will do the job fine thats the 802.11g standard go with b&g compatible.

He only needs one wireless card if one pc will be next to the modem and router cause he could just use an ethernet cable.

as for the brand to buy, u will have guys say netgear are Dlink are Linksys, they are all good routers. i would just try to google router reviews and go from there. u want a router that has the Gband, either 54 are 108 will be fine, but the 108 is a little misleading a little, it can run 54 up and 54 down at the same time unless it has changed and i have not read up on it, but either will be fine. just find a good G router and a G wireless card and u will be set to go

ok thanks.

so i should buy the one i am thinking of buying.

will that allow me to get internet in my room while the orignal internet line and modem are in my brothers room.

also will i need a network card with this or no.

if any1 can just clear that for me please.,

Thanks

hid, you're on the right track.  That router and wireless adapter will work just fine....as long as you have a USB port available on the computer that will be wireless.  The USB adapter is the easiest route to go.  You can also get a PCI card adapter but that requires you to crack open your PC and install the card internally.  USB is the easiest way to go. 

well i have never used a usb adapter, so i woudnt know how well they work. I have 2 pci cards and they work very well and happy with them. thats just my opion about the pci cards. someone else here that has used are useing the usb adapters could say how good they work.