Question about my new LCD flat screen monitor

turner7205

I just bought my new 19" LCD last night and I have a question. What is the best way to stop pixels from going out? Should I leave the monitor on while the computer is on? Should I turn it off when im not using it? Screensaver? I bought the extended warranty so if pixels go out I can return it. I dont want to have to return it, I want it to be good for awhile. I know nothing about these monitors, and I figured I would go to the best place for tech info. ANY help you can give me is welcomed, including maintenence tips, cleaning, care, etc etc. Thanks folks, have a great day!

Well crts dont usually have pixels that go out but if i were u i would turn the monitor off everytime u r not using it and if u do not want to turn the monitor off then atleast keep the screensaver on.  Screensavers have been known to extend the life of monitors

I just bought my new 19" LCD last night and I have a question. What is the best way to stop pixels from going out? Should I leave the monitor on while the computer is on? Should I turn it off when im not using it? Screensaver? I bought the extended warranty so if pixels go out I can return it. I dont want to have to return it, I want it to be good for awhile. I know nothing about these monitors, and I figured I would go to the best place for tech info. ANY help you can give me is welcomed, including maintenence tips, cleaning, care, etc etc. Thanks folks, have a great day!

there really is no way to stop pixels from going out. its just something that does happen. But there is good news, most of the time a pixel can be restarted, by turning the monitor on and off a few times. Ive never had to do that becasuse, all my LCD's have been perfect. but a friend of mine had 1 go out and he was able to get it to start turning again.

as far a maintenence goes, don't touch it, but if you do and you want to clean it, 3M makes some pads that are designed for cleaning LCD's.

there really isn't much to worry about, the only thing that will kill a LCD is if the backlight goes out, and that wount happen for a long long time. I have a 17in here on my server, and its 7 years old and still working like new.

So the worst thing I can do is turn my monitor on and off? Well this is how I am going to set it up. Have the screensaver to come 5 minutes of idle time. The screensaver will be the "spacefield". I will track down those 3M wipes/pads. I have some wipes that I used on my old monitor and all my TVs. It does say safe for laptops, but doesnt specify LCD's. Thanks so much you guys!!

EDIT Another question: Does it take time for your eyes to get used to the LCD and the size? My eyes hurt. I have turned the brightness to like 18 and the contrast to 50. Not sure if that hurts the monitor, but it seems to bright. Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT Another question: Does it take time for your eyes to get used to the LCD and the size? My eyes hurt. I have turned the brightness to like 18 and the contrast to 50. Not sure if that hurts the monitor, but it seems to bright. Anyone else have this problem?

it will take about a week or so. but once they fully adjust you will be able to look at that thing for hours, and hours.

I have my power settings turn off my CRT monitor after 20 minutes of activity. I also turn it completely off at night, not only to save power, but I've heard that even with no signal a CRT still wears down. I'll have to check back on that though. Anyway, if you're using a screensaver, remember to use one with a lot of activity, since both CRTs and lcd's can suffer from burn-in.

I just turn off my monitors when I'm not using my computer. (CRTs btw)

I don't know why people say they can't look at a CRT monitor for long periods of time, maybe it's just my monitors but I can use my computer all day long.

As far as screensavers go, the attached one is pretty cool.

If you have the settings to high, then the life of the montior will probably1 be shortened somewhat.

I just turn off my monitors when I'm not using my computer. (CRTs btw)

I don't know why people say they can't look at a CRT monitor for long periods of time, maybe it's just my monitors but I can use my computer all day long.

As far as screensavers go, the attached one is pretty cool.

Some people probably have their refresh rate set to low. That can be a big source of headaches for CRT users. Brightness can sometimes be a problem too. I'd recommened using a freeware program or whatever software comes with your monitor to ajust the settings. I recently did it with my new computer, not new montior and what a difference. It's much better now.