Summers a coming!! AC's a pumpin!!

j3grizz

Cholla, When I worked for Magnesium Corporation of America (New owner). It was National Lead, then Amax Metals. When the production of Chlorine was finished (filling railcars) and not providing cover gas for the Mag.Cells. They would vent pure Chlorine to the atmosphere out of a 24" off gas pipe shooting 100+ feet over the 250" off gas stack for hours on end. Below is a little excerpt of the article I will list.

For many years, the MagCorp plant has ranked Number One on the EPA's toxic release inventory, based on its chlorine emissions. The facility is the third largest producer of magnesium in the world.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_pjus/is_200101/ai_2518297807#continue

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, my knowledge is very weak in environment damage, Ive heard it takes approx 30 years for freon including chlorine to actually start ozone layer destruction after you let it out in air.

If thats true, then we see the effect now of whats been let out in air during the 70

Cholla, When I worked for Magnesium Corporation of America (New owner). It was National Lead, then Amax Metals. When the production of Chlorine was finished (filling railcars) and not providing cover gas for the Mag.Cells. They would vent pure Chlorine to the atmosphere out of a 24" off gas pipe shooting 100+ feet over the 250" off gas stack for hours on end. Below is a little excerpt of the article I will list.

For many years, the MagCorp plant has ranked Number One on the EPA's toxic release inventory, based on its chlorine emissions. The facility is the third largest producer of magnesium in the world.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_pjus/is_200101/ai_2518297807#continue

:shock: omg, thats crazy, this shows the need for international agreements concerning emissions

VanBuren :)

Van what do you think of the tif 5050 halogen leak detector it made by TIF Instruments?

sorry for my spamming, wont happen again  ;)

Ive had one of these and it was pretty good, atleast if you wasnt outdoors with wind

my TIF reacted if wind hit the sensor, also condensing fans made it impossible to leaktest if they was on.

Since i only had one, i cant tell if its a bad brand or not.

All techs on our company using D-Tec, and im very happy with it aswell

VanBuren :)

Van Buren ;I'm going to get some information on the D-Tec it might make a good replacement when mine wears out.I need to do some more research on the ozone layer to make sure it is the chlorine that is effecting it.

coknuck ;I'm suprised at the amount of chlorine that company was allowed to release.There is an ASARCO smelter outside of Amarillo I wonder what they release.I guess I should check.

Cholla, I went through two company name changes when I worked there. The plant had a Pilot Plant Status. When the Status would run out the plant would be sold. New owners would make small change in process and reclaim the Status removing them from EPA rulings. I contribute most of my lung problem to them but they have paid Big Bucks to Lawyers and Senates to get bills passed to get around the Laws. I think Lawyers are the biggest pieces of shit on this Earth. I could tell you more but I'm really starting to get mad now. Didn't mean to rant.

coknuck;No argument about the lawyers .With all the laws we have I guess they are a necessary evil.The bad part is the ones that can afford to keep up the cost of the lawyers usually wins.So most individuals don't have a chance.

I'm sorry to hear you have lung problems from the chemical exposure.I'm going to thank God I haven't had any yet.during my life I've had considerable exposure to asbestos(from vehicle brakes) .It started in high school .They used to make oversize brake shoes & my school automechanics class had a machine for grind these to fit the drum.The minimal dust collector on this was a joke.They weren't even warning about asbestos back then.So when I or one of the other students was using this there was plenty of asbestos dust in the air.Back then the higher the asbestos content of the brake shoe the better quality it was.After that I was a bus mechanic & we would blow the shoes off with air before taking an air chisel to them.These were the shoes with bolt on liners.so again plenty of asbestos dust.After that they began to warn about asbestos exposure.I could go on but now I at least wear a mask,try not to create dust & most brake shoes or pads no longer contain asbestos.

I know this was a little off the topic.But I would advise anyone working on brakes to wear at least a dust mask & not the real cheap ones.A respirator would be better.Try to create as little dust as possible.Because you don't know what they will find in 20 years about the dust from the brake material used now.

Do you smoke cholla?

No I never got into tobacco.I got sick a few times as a kid when some of my kinfolk let me sample some tobacco in various ways.It wasn't so good at the time but worked out better for me in the long run.

Now for the rest of the story .I did take to smoking a medicinal herb when I was younger I'll let you figure out which one.I quit that in 1985 & haven't smoked anything since.

Except for meat.  :haha:

Ive got a question to see if my ac is running right its currenly 101 outside now and my house is pretty will insulated and im having a hard time to get the house below 81 degrees, and the ac is constaly running. Its not freezing up or anything. I replaced the filters?

justinlay;Have you cleaned the condenser(outside unit) like j3grizz suggested? How much sun is directly hitting the unit right now ? If you do clean the condenser make sure you turn off the electricity to it & let it dry for a while after washing it.

Sinply put the condenser is your heat disapation unit so the cooler it is the better it works.I mean shaded the air coming out from it should feel hot.

luckly the unit doesnt see the sun but maybe in the moring. Im going to go out and see if the unit is dirty. The ac is blowing cold air, it seems that the old dirty filter worked better?? I just went out side the coils are clean and its blowing pretty warm air

Ive got a question to see if my ac is running right its currenly 101 outside now and my house is pretty will insulated and im having a hard time to get the house below 81 degrees, and the ac is constaly running. Its not freezing up or anything. I replaced the filters?

Justinlay, check the temp around your return. Then check the temp. coming out of your vents. A general rule of thumb is that if you can get at least a 15 deg. drop it is operating normally. Most units will do a little better than 15 but it isn't a requirement. Check this and let me know. ;)

No I never got into tobacco.I got sick a few times as a kid when some of my kinfolk let me sample some tobacco in various ways.It wasn't so good at the time but worked out better for me in the long run.

Now for the rest of the story .I did take to smoking a medicinal herb when I was younger I'll let you figure out which one.I quit that in 1985 & haven't smoked anything since.

Except for meat. :haha:

That may have sounded like a dumb question, but the reason was that(don't quote me, it has been a couple of years) if you are around asbestos you have an average chance of cancer of 15%. if you smoke you have a 15% chance of cancer, If you smoke and get around asbestos you increase that to 80%. I actually have taken a course of asbestos removal. And later I took a class of  lead removal. They are quite similar in removal. To safely keep harm away in either case is keeping the dust from becoming airborne. So if you wet it down, it is safe. Might try using brake kleen to remove the dust. Just spray it out of the drums. And it dries quickly and helps remove varnish. No dust mask necessary.  ;)

well i dont have anything right now to check the temp, I noticed i had one of the filter in backwards and started to cool better will that effect that?? All i can say is its blowing strong cold air.

The filter being in backwards wouldn't affect it much. (Depending on the filter)  Before getting someone out to take a look at it I would check the temps. first!! A thermometer is cheap. And I hate to say it but there are some that would jump at the chance to replace the most expensive part they can think of for no reason! With it being 101 deg. outside that would put a considerable load on the unit. Depending on the size of the unit and the square footage of your house it should be able to do a little better than 81 deg. though. So get a cheap thermometer and check it out. :)

tommie gorman ;I take precautions now but only do a small amount of brake work I do use brake kleen but prefer to wear a mask as well.The problem is I had already been exposed to a lot of airborne brake shoe dust of high asbestos content before I knew better.We really weren't aware of the danger at the time .especially in high school running the brake shoe grinder.A lot of people probably don't realize who haven't worked on city busses they stop & go almost continually.This means they are very hard on brakes so a fleet of them give you almost daily brake jobs.If you air blow the dust off then a lot of it becomes airborne.Since the linings were bolted to the shoe we cut the bolts that held the pad to the shoe frame with an air chisel.I did this for 3 years it has been a long time since I had this level of exposure .So I thank God that no cancer has shown up so far.As for the smoking iI had heard about that but I doubt if the study covered what I was smoking.It may be the same & maybe not.

When it comes to a dust mask, they is worthless. The asbestos fibers are so small that they will go right through. Sorry. Resporator would be fine except that the one you would need would be very hot to wear. And cumbersome. When using a respirator always check the filter ratings. That is the most important part. And always change the inner and outter one as well.

But wetting is the only sure fire solution. Really!  :thumbsup: