Summers a coming!! AC's a pumpin!!

j3grizz

Since we are on the subject, my Daddy was exposed to tons of asbestos insulation on his job working @ the Kaolin plant!! He is fine so far and I pray that it stays that way!! He just so happened to take many incriminating pics though, even after the plant was told to get rid of it. So the bases are covered, hopefully that card won't have to be pulled!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tommie gorman ;You are right the average mask is not rated to remove asbestos.Not even the better quality 3M one like I have used.They do make a folding respirator that is almost like a mask that is asbestos rated.I haven't used one.The brake materials used today are supposed to be asbestos free.But you might run into it on an older car.

& like I said who knows what the effects of the material they use now will be in twenty years.So I guess wetting any of it would be a good idea.

as for the cheap 5 for a dollar masks they're good for keeping dirt off your nose.

j3grizz;I hope your dad dodged the bullit like it looks like so far I have.

I know we have gotten off topic with the asbestos.

The filter being in backwards wouldn't affect it much. (Depending on the filter)  Before getting someone out to take a look at it I would check the temps. first!! A thermometer is cheap. And I hate to say it but there are some that would jump at the chance to replace the most expensive part they can think of for no reason! With it being 101 deg. outside that would put a considerable load on the unit. Depending on the size of the unit and the square footage of your house it should be able to do a little better than 81 deg. though. So get a cheap thermometer and check it out. :)

j3grizz; its a 4 ton unit in a 1600 sq ft house. Well its 3 in the morning and it was 80 in the house so i turned on the ac, and its 72 outside. it took not even 30 mins to get from 80 to 71 in the house.

j3grizz; its a 4 ton unit in a 1600 sq ft house. Well its 3 in the morning and it was 80 in the house so i turned on the ac, and its 72 outside. it took not even 30 mins to get from 80 to 71 in the house.

It sounds like the unit is operating ok for now. I'm curious to see how it does on another scorcher though. The unit seems to be sized correctly. ;)

coknuck; I read some & most of the blame was put on chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) & bromofluorocarbon from halons.It really didn't explain

why other Chlorine & Bromine especially any released as a gas didn't reach the stratosphere like the chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) &

bromofluorocarbons

Ozone can be destroyed by a number of free radical catalysts, the most important of which are hydroxyl (OH), nitric oxide

(NO) and atomic chlorine (Cl) and bromine (Br). All of these radicals have both natural and anthropogenic (manmade) sources.

At the present time, most of the OH and NO in the stratosphere is of natural origin, but human activity has dramatically

increased the chlorine and bromine. These elements are found in certain stable organic compounds, especially

chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which may find their way to the stratosphere without being destroyed in the troposphere. Once in

the stratosphere, the Cl and Br atoms are liberated from the parent compounds by the action of ultraviolet light, and can

destroy ozone molecules in a catalytic cycle. In this cycle, a chlorine atom reacts with an ozone molecule, taking an oxygen

atom with it (forming ClO) and leaving a normal oxygen molecule. A free oxygen atom then takes away the oxygen from the ClO,

and the final result is an oxygen molecule and a chlorine atom, which then reinitiates the cycle. The chemical shorthand for

these reactions are:

Cl + O3 --> ClO + O2

ClO + O --> Cl + O2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In sum

O3 + O --> O2 + O2

For this mechanism to operate there must be a source of O atoms, which is primarily the photodissociation of O3.

A single chlorine atom would keep on destroying ozone for up to two years (the time scale for transport back down to the

troposphere) were it not for reactions that remove them from this cycle by forming reservoir species such as hydrochloric

acid and chlorine nitrate. On a per atom basis, bromine is even more efficient than chlorine at destroying ozone, but there

is much less bromine in the atmosphere at present. As a result, both chlorine and bromine contribute significantly to the

overall ozone depletion.

Well I got away with only a pound of freon. I have a leak in one of the coils in the basement. To replace it will cost around $700. :shock:

Maybe I'll get it done in the fall, when they don't have me by the balls. They charged the system up and I'll get through the summer at least.

Well I got away with only a pound of freon. I have a leak in one of the coils in the basement. To replace it will cost around $700. :shock:

Maybe I'll get it done in the fall, when they don't have me by the balls. They charged the system up and I'll get through the summer at least.

Hooolyy Shit. Havent seen you a great while. How you been you sexy man woman you.

Stank_Ho;If you know where the leak is or about where it is & can find it with some dishwashing liquid .Clean the area gently .You can usually pull the coil fins from the area as necessary.Then take a good epoxy (like JB Weld & patch the leak.It probably won't patch it permanantly but should slow a small leak or stop it.I did this on a small refridgerator one time & it never did leak again.

It was a small one at work & someone had jabbed a hole in it with a knife.

Stank_Ho;If you know where the leak is or about where it is & can find it with some dishwashing liquid .Clean the area gently .You can usually pull the coil fins from the area as necessary.Then take a good epoxy (like JB Weld & patch the leak.It probably won't patch it permanantly but should slow a small leak or stop it.I did this on a small refridgerator one time & it never did leak again.

It was a small one at work & someone had jabbed a hole in it with a knife.

I'd try that if I had the aptitude of a squirrel. :rolleyes:

Yea, they make it. I will tell you though that they can do more harm than good. In an ac system you have many places that can get stopped up from it. Then you will have another problem. I do now of people using it and it working, but also now of many that has messed up. So in short, I don't recommend it.

Yea that could be a better time to use it if you were already in need of an upgrade. If ya tried it and it worked that is great. If not, a new system would be the way to go cause the old ones can sometimes be Electricity Hogs $$$!! Don't get me wrong though, I am not one of these that recommends to have an upgrade after a few years! Just on very old systems. Maybe 16 years or older. What happens is it gets stopped in the small expansion valves (there are different kinds) that prepare the refrigerant for entry into the evaporator. When this happens it is hard to even blow it out with nitrogen and parts have to be replaced.