Network/internet problem

Well, to start off, its a friend's computer, so it isnt in my possession. But anyway, no matter what connection he is running off of, his computer is saying that it has limited or no connectivity. All the computers in is home (on same router) are working fine with the router, but not his. We have tried resetting the router/modem plenty of times, and this has failed. I've tried the netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt command also, and it has failed too. I have also tried custom settings, which did make the "limited" go away, but the internet still didnt work. He has also bought a new NIC and that failed to work also. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

ill try the last thing posted when im able to. As for the ip thing, yes it is set to automatically detect, but for some reason it always says "limited or no connectivity" when it does it automatically. When i assign one myself (using one close to his other computer), it doesnt give me the "limited or no connectivity" anymore, but the internet still doesnt work. There are not any advanced settings either.

If it says limited or no connectivity when set to automatic it means you aren't getting an IP address from the DHCP server for some reason.  You'll have to set it manually, but to do that you need to know the IP address of the router.

from the command prompt, type IPCONFIG and hit enter.  If the IP address is 169.254.x.x, type IPCONFIG/RENEW.  If you do not get a valid IP back, it will give you a specific error as to why (eg. "an error occurred while renewing interface local area connection: unable to contact DHCP error. Request has timed out").  Post that exact error back so that we can help further.

Have you tried bypassing the router to connect directly to the modem? 

i havent tried bypassing the router, because like i said, its not my computer. I have tried the computer at my house, which the router is set up correctly. For example, what i did was: Took my computer out, and replaced it with his. Connected all my stuff, including ethernet cord. When his computer loaded up, it gave me the limited error. Tried fixing it, and nothing. I put my computer back, and i get a regular connection, with no error.

Thats why i dont think its a router problem, because mine is working properly and its not working. I do notice, when i am looking at the auto detect settings, it doesnt seem to be assigning a DNS address. For example, it will say:

Ip address- 169.254.x.x

Subnet mask- 255.255.255.0

DNS-_________ <---- Nothing listed

As i have stated before, when i give my custom settings (set ip, subnet, dns ect), the error goes away, but all interent related programs dont work (aim, internet explorer). Its odd though because when i "repair" the connection, it goes through fine, with no repair errors. When i try to repair it with the limited problem, it gives me a "cant renew ip" error.

If it helps any, its a Netgear router, Motorola surfboard modem

And like i said, ill be trying all of this when i can get to his house, which is on saturday/sunday.

I think i have answered all the questions, and thanks for all the help so far.

sounds like the DHCP server on the router is off or is out of IP addresses to release.. Try power cycling the router.. if that doesnt work then reset the router.  I have seen something like this before.. not with ip issues.. but setting changing for no reason..

Like i was saying, i dont think its a router issue. I have tried this on 2 different types of routers (Linksys, Netgear) and they both have the same problem. I have tried powercycling and resetting. Still didnt work. On my computer (which works correctly) it says that the DNS and everything is " Assigned by DHCP", so i dont think its turned off, or out of them, since i used the same port on the router and same cord for  his computer, when it was in my possession.