Sudden Sound Problems

altoidz

Since yesterday, I've been having sound problems. When I reboot my computer, my sound works fine say for about an hour. When time runs out though, I get a "no active mixer devices available. to install mixer devices, go to control panel, click printers and other hardware, and then click add hardware" when I click on volume control. I can still hear system sounds btw. My sound card is a Creative Emu10K1 SB Live!. Very old, I got it from neighbors. When I search for drivers it gives me a date of the year 2002 for it. It was working great with good sound until now. Could someone help me out? Thanks in advance.

Also is there a way to capitalize the A in my name?

I capitalized the a in your name for you...

As for your sound card, I don't really know :-|  maybe someone else can help.

I had a similar problem on my old computer but never got it fixed.

Aha I solved it myself yay, and thank you php. Something I forgot to mention, it screws up when I try to play Counter-Strike 1.6. In CS I was having lag issues (started yesterday as well), so I end processed everything that was using up too much of my CPU. It seems I ended something important, svchost.exe taking up 38k of memory. After I stopped ending that process, my sound never seemed to mess up and worked fine. I also figured out something else. What was causing me lag was not all of this memory usage (seemed right because I have 1 GB Ram anyway with 580 MB leftover while playing CS), but ZAdobeGamma loader process. Now I'm not sure what this AdobeGammaLoader is, but it's causing me tons of problems. Previously, it gave me never-ending popups that not even Ewido and Ad-Aware combined could get rid of. But I fixed that too. If I have any more problems I'm checking for AdobeGammaLoader first before posting next time. Thanks anyway guys, and thanks for the welcome.

• 3 weeks later...

My emachines sometimes if I am on for very long, or do a lot on it. Usually 3 or 4 hrs. Don't know why, but like you said it goes away with a reboot. Mine does not show any sign except lack of noise.

I asked this question a few weeks ago, and did not get a responce. Any possible solutions?

I don't get it, my sound just goes away when I am on this site only. If I am on the comp. too long. No errors or warnings. Just all of a sudden it quits working. But if I reboot, as soon as it starts to go off it will make a musical sound before shutting down, which is normal for the noise, but I don't hear the sound till just before it shuts down. Then on reboot it is ok. Could the sound card be getting hot or something? Emachines T6522 media XP 2GB ram.

tommie gorman ; I helped a member a while back fix a video problem with an E machine..I found their web site limited at best.Not too bad for what is supposed to be in a specific E machine but basically not much else.

I don't think it would be heat because why would a restart cool the card.If you just restart & immediatly use your PC again.

I guess the sound controller driver could be corruped .You might see if there is an update for those.Or reinstall the one in your OS & see if that helps.

Correct cholla, I was not sure how to reinstall the OS, or how to update. Since I figured it would have been done through auto-updates. But a quick call to e-machines tech confirmed what you said. He had me go to  control panel*classic view*left click system icon*Hardware tab*Device Manager*Sound, Video, and Game Controllers*Uninstall*Reboot.

He asured me this would fix it. Thanks cholla. Apreciate it.

One other thing I found out talking when talking to tech, was that by using reformat c.d.'s that the harddrive is wiped clean as every body mentions. But (Roco) using the built in system recovery, does not wipe it clean. I did not know that one. Again thanks.

I guess tech support is not always bad.  :oops: At least on comps. :D

Not to be confused with internet tech's.  ;)

tommie gorman ;I'm glad the tech was able to fix you up.I didn't say to reinstall the OS just reinstall the sound controller In the same section of the control panel you used.The tech did it different than I would have but that way sometimes works too.

I have Windows ME so it might be a little different.

I'll start from device managerSound, Video, and Game ControllersYour sound control device or there may be more than onepropertiesdriverupdate driverFrom there try the automatically searh first then see if it fixes the sound If this doesn't you need to find your install files Or CAB files & sometimes the driver is in the inf files.Then select specify the location of the driver.This is also the way to install an updated driver that you DL.This will usually replace the corrupt file.I just put this in if you had the problem again.

In Windows ME you can do a "dirty" install that leaves a lot of the software you have installed. I don't think it can be done with XP.To do this you go to the install file in Windows & to setup.exe & click it & let it run.Most of the time this works.If you have system restore enabled you can try that first.

By the way cholla, appreciate it again. The only reason I posted the fix was two reasons. One so I might be able to find it again, and second if it might help others. Never to downgrade your info. And again, I really am comp. illiterate. To most standards. Thanks again. Tommie

Or as one friend would call me, simple user.  :haha:

Probably fixed, as I have been on here long enough to have had problems by now.

tommie gorman ;I didn't think you downgraded my info.I just put the other in for someone that might need it too.The one the tech had you do is the easiest & that's sometimes the best.

Sometimes doing it that way reinstalls the corrupt driver file & sometimes it finds the uncorrupted driver file or repairs the damaged file.Anyway I guess it does because it works.