How many 110 outlets are in your house?

tommie gorman

Hi guys

my friend the dim cab driver, tried to jump start  his wifes car with his 24v cab battery, nah it didn't start , but the bang woke up the neibourhood    :roll:

This looks like a good place for a short lesson in jump starting a vehicle.I'm going to use a negative ground vehicle as the example.It would be opposite for a positive ground.

You connect both jumper cables to the battery terminals of the vehicle with the good battery & the positive jumper to the positive battery terminal of the vehicle with the dead battery .Then you connect the negative jumper cable to a good ground on the engine.(like a tightening bracket bolt) as far from the battery as possible.

The reason for this is when you connect the last jumper cable it usually sparks & this is what sometimes explodes a dead battery.

When disconnecting the cables disconnect the one grounded to the engine First.

Usually when a dead battery explodes is because the vehicle is hard to start & the battery is heated producing Hydrogen gas from the sulfuric acid in the battery.The spark ignites the Hydrogen.The other problem that usually heats a battery is the voltage regulator goes bad & allows an overcharge frying the battery .This also produces the hydrogen.

I have known a few people severally scarred from an exploded battery.These were mechanics that knew how to connect the jumper cables & didn't use the correct procedure.

BTW I have used both 24V & 48V to jump a 12V battery.The voltage isn't the problem .Shop battery chargers basically do this when you set them to high.

It is possible to explode the good battery also if you connect to it second & produce a spark too near the battery.