Nero 7 - Disk size

hid

hey

i was just wondering - i am trying to put a movie onto a dvd -R. The movie file size is 701MB and its an AVI format.

when i place it into the 'MAKE DVD video' section ready to burn - it takes up about 3 and half GB of disk space.

is this suppose to happen.

Also how long does it usally take on Nero for all the buring process to finish.

AND how long does it usally take on DVD SANTA for all the buring process to finish.

the disk is 8X speed.

if i purchase a 16X speed, will the disk process be a lot quicker and the quaility same

Y does it take 3 and half GB of disk space.

When you go from one type of encode to another you get HUGE file size differences. When you make a CD/DVD to play in a DVD player there are very few options that will play right. VCD, SVCD, DVD-Video and so on. So when you take an AVI file and make it so it will work on a DVD player it must decode then re-encode the video to make it so the DVD player can understand it. This is what is making the file so big. Your other questions were answered well already. The amount of time depends on your comp and how many programs you are running in the background. I have a 8x DVD DL drive and always burn at 8x with no probs. Some peoples say they notice a difference when burned faster but probably dont. Burning slower is smarter though due to the fact you get lots fewer disc errors and therefore fewer waisted discs. Just remember when you burn a disc the reason it is taking so long is to decode and reencode the video. So if you are using a DVD burner it is best to just get the video file in a DVD ISO so it doesnt have to encode... this will save you hours on just one disc, much more time than if you upgraded the speed of your drive.

thanks very much. thats cleared it up.

''So if you are using a DVD burner it is best to just get the video file in a DVD ISO so it doesnt have to encode... this will save you hours on just one disc''

how do i do this??????

please help

thanks

Well the only way to do that is for the person who made the file to make it in DVD ISO format. If they didnt do it then you must encode which takes all that extra time. So if you find a specific file you want and it comes in different file types get the DVD ISO format, if you dont have the option then you are just out of luck unfortunantly. :(