Accessing another computer across the network

Okay... I live with my grandparents. On her computer (w/ microsoft Home for her OS) is a WRT54GS wireless linksys router W/ speed booster.... my room is upstairs i have the WMP54GS wireless card W/ speed booster installed. (with microsoft XP OS) and so we are on a network for the internet.... HOW the F can i access her computer from mine. Im not talking VNC, im talking if i want a file or movie or something from her computer, how can i make a network or something so that i can access her computer? I have tried everything (her computer name//IP) in a address bar, tried using 'wireless network setup wizard' i have tried alot and just get an error... i still cannot figure it out... Are there any other ways out there to set up so i can access my grandmas computer from upstairs?

is ur puter on the network first, and if it is just place all the files that u would want to share on her computer in a certain folder are go to each foder and right click on it and got o properties, then go to sharing, and then check the box in the network sharing and security part. u shouldnt have to use the network wizard at all for this.

then go to controll panel, then network connections and then on the left side look for my network places and then ur folders that u wanted to share from should show up.

the reason for all this is... since im the wireless network CARD part user, i only connect half as fast as my grandmas computer (which is expected) so i wanna download stuff on my grandmas computer and then just take it off hers and put it on mine... it will save me about days to a week worth of downloading crap... make it faster and easier.

as we speak, when i click on 'my network places' i have my shared folder and one of my hard drives shared in it... but i cannot figure out how to get it so i can view them from my grandmas computer.. i tried the wizard, i tried typing in MY ip in the address bar i tried so much an dim only gettin gmore agrivated.

It can take up to 15 minutes for the changes to take effect.. that is one of the huge down fall built into the Windows File/Print sharing.. For some reason if it doesnt auto detect you have to wait. 

As long as you have a router.. it shouldnt matter if you have a wireless or ethernet connection.. The only thing that I can thing of right now is if the firewall is blocking the connection.. Try turning off the firewalls for a short period of time.  If that works.. then add the local ip address of the other computer to the trusted list of IPs.  I have seen zone alarm do this and also my trend micro firewall has to be configured so that everything work properly.

no firewalls are on what so ever in the process of trying this, i turned em all off and when i type in (my grandmas computer name) from my computer i just get an error 'Windows cannot find rosie. check the spelling and try again..  but when i type it on on HER computer it opens up the files she curretly is sharing...  ??? i dont get why i cant get into her computer what so ever

dont even have to do that..

You can set your router as the DNS Server..

IP address: 192.168.0.xxx for Dlink or 192.168.1.xxx for linksys

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: Router IP addresss ( this is what you type into the web browser to get the config page)

Preferred DNS Server: same as Default Gateway.

First what is this ive tried (my computer name)  (my IP) (my local network name)  everything,  WHAT THE FREAK ?

If you are trying to access your grandmas pc why would you put your computer name etc? You would put hers. Also try going to her pc and setup sharing of folders on hers not yours.

Hi folks,

while im glad Captain Sauce resolved his problem, configuring firewall as Swimmer said its the first thing to do when setting up a network. By the way DNS preferred servers and Default gateway is not the same, DNS refers to domain name servers and default gateway refers to NAT network address translation, in order to fully go to static IP adressing you will have to (but not necesary) write in your ISP DNS in the spaces provided, also you will have to write in your gateway usually 192.168.0.X or 192.168.1.XX or even 10.10.0.XX  depending on the configuration you give to the router, in any case thats a class C network class c networks uses a subnet mask 255.255.255.0 or even 223.255.255.0 to 255.255.255.0  or a class B network will use a subnet 255.255.0.0.

At least for me. if i configure Preferred DNswith my gateway, no connection