Starting up a free wireless Network to my neighbors

Semour06

What are som advantages and disadvantages to starting up a neighborhood wireless network?

Also i have a Linksys wireless B access point what parts will i need to get about a 150 yard signal range?

If I find out this is dooable i will proubably drop verizon for adelphia or what ever else is good in my area

Any links or help will be appreciated.

The only thing is that I will need cretain parts to extend the range I live on a street with about 15 houses and proubably 9 of them have a current internet accountand out of 9 about 8 would proubably want the free wireless. thease houses are at the furthest distance away 75 yards as in 3 quarters of a football feld.

Relative to the street you live on where is your house? Middle? End?

If your in about the middle you could get two directional antennas one pointing down one direction of the street and one the other. You also might be able to cover it with a high powered omni-directional antenna. These antennas will work much better if mounted outside as they will have less interference with the signal.

Well here is the thing... It is against most TOS agreements with the ISPs to offer others your service.  So setting up a neighborhood network might not be the best thing.

Also speed is going to be an issue.  If you have 15 people on that router the speed for each client is going to drop, a lot!

Another issue is security.. if someone does something illegal on your connection.. guess who it responsible...

My suggestion.. yes it would be cool.. but the management side of the project is just going to be a hassle.  You would need to get a dedicate line like T1 or sometime a business class line that allows you to do what ever you wish with it.  The other thing is that linksys products are really not meant to be infrastructure devices.  They are meant to serve like 5-6 clients... More an you overload the router and speeds drop.  If you wanted to do something like that you would be looking in cisco gear or motorla canopy.. Possible.. yea... going to work.. yeah.. risks.. yup.. worth the time...  that is up to you

i have read some articals that this is legal but like you said i would want a T1 connection which im not sure are available in my area. Al thow it would be cool  to make some money from the neighbors I proubably wont be able to do it. An other question too Is it possible to make a antenna to be able to pick up singals from other people like i have a friend down the street and we like to play games late at night and I dont want my signal going around the world 10 times i would rather it went 200 feet down the road  than 10000000miles around the world.

and you would also have to set up some encryption so that only the neighbors you intend will be able to use it. then you will have to deal with angry calls along the lines of "i can't connect to your free network!" "your free network is slow" "i have terrible pings with my xbox" and so forth. you would need to rent one fast connection to be able to satisfy all the people. you will need to buy some antennas. so will they. it's just not worth the hassle. let everyone keep their own broadband link.

as for the buddy down the street buy 2 wireless routers that you can configure as a bridge and that have antenna ports and set up a decent antenna at both houses and you should be golden.

What are som advantages and disadvantages to starting up a neighborhood wireless network?

Also i have a Linksys wireless B access point what parts will i need to get about a 150 yard signal range?

If I find out this is dooable i will proubably drop verizon for adelphia or what ever else is good in my area

Any links or help will be appreciated.

www.vyrax.com has some wireless stuff and i am doing what you are but just to my friends and it will cost me about $200 for my equipment for my house so it will be around that price depending on what you get.  below is a pic of the houses i want to connect wireless but a building might be blocking me and we have to test it when my friend has time cause this is his project.

www.vyrax.com has some wireless stuff and i am doing what you are but just to my friends and it will cost me about $200 for my equipment for my house so it will be around that price depending on what you get.  below is a pic of the houses i want to connect wireless but a building might be blocking me and we have to test it when my friend has time cause this is his project.

wow that is quite a range

blunted, find a building you can all see (this looks like you want to connect more than 2 houses) the large corner building looks like a candidate and ask the owner if you can set up some wireless kit on their roof. all it would need is the antennas pointing to your respective houses and the access point. that way you would all use a high gain antenna to shoot that one building and wouldn't have to cross over buildings the same height as yours.

yea i know but wireless can go very far depending on equipment and the buildings around you and i have a clear line of sight so it shouldnt be a problem.

125 Mile wiFI Record

Description: used a fascinating collection of homemade antennas, surplus 12 foot satellite dishes, home-welded support structures, scaffolds, ropes and computers to wirelessly connect to their comrades. Which let them complete a 125 Mile Link Up.