Most Common Ways to Kill a PC

ROM-DOS

Beginners Guides: Most Common Ways to Kill a PC

PCstats guides you through the list of the most popular ways

by which you will eventually kill your PC, despite your good intentions.

This is a good primer for "what not to do" folks. - Version 1.0.0

Most Common Problems

• 26% PSU and power issues
  • 23% Bad gear and user negligence
  • 13% Heatsink related
  • 15% Assembly and moving
  • 10% Lightning strike and static
  • 3% Computer cruelty
  • 6% USB related
  • 2% Overclocking

[move]    Stop  Computer Cruelty    [/move]

. . .maybe this would be a good place to share some Fatal Distractions and Brain Dead muck ups!

Here's one of my latest; WTF ~ LOL ~ OMG (dupid computer)

. . .I'm lucky I didn't fry my board!!

"Avoid clearing the CMOS while the system is on; it will damage the . . ."

I'm still laughing 'bout that one ~ funny thing was ~ (that I didn't mention)

. . . the day before, when I couldn't boot my system, I packed it up and went to my 'neighborhood' PC shop to see if they could get it up and running ~ but, I was so brain dead ~ I forgot it was Sunday! and they were Closed ~ lol ~

[good thing, . . .I would have felt 'really' dupid 'bout the jumper being set to the 'wrong' connecter]

What's got me worried now, too, is the USB mishaps

. . .is my poor tortured, slammed and abused USB game pad gonna kill my PC?

yikes!!   :angry9:

I've only killed a PC once... plugging in a IDE hard drive while the computer was on.  It didn't like that so well.  Aside from that I've damaged the odd part with static electricity but not an entire computer.

rofl...dude, i'm not calling you an idiot by any stretch, but why the hell did you plug in a hd while the thing was on??  :haha: :haha: I was laughing my donkey off reading that

It's not as bad as it sounds... I plugged it in seconds after turning it on when I realised I had forgotten to plug the power cable into it.  The bios screen hadn't even loaded yet.

I've only killed a PC once... plugging in a IDE hard drive while the computer was on.  It didn't like that so well.  Aside from that I've damaged the odd part with static electricity but not an entire computer.

i had to do that to make a hdd for my xbox and it did not damage it

Install windows and use IE alot. Easy.

:lol:  and the saddest part is that it's true.  I'd say for most of the computers I fix, if the owner hadn't used IE or Outlook Express he/she wouldn't be having near as many problems. (If any)

:lol:  and the saddest part is that it's true.  I'd say for most of the computers I fix, if the owner hadn't used IE or Outlook Express he/she wouldn't be having near as many problems. (If any)

the problem isn't the browser. the problem is people not running any kind of protection and surfing with admin rights.

I use IE, I use Outlook, and I never RUINED a pc, yeah - i got adware and spyware... but damnit, everything else has been fine...

I must add, that girl's picture in Swimmer's sig turns ME on, and I don't dance that way....

LOL

(often)

;)

the problem isn't the browser. the problem is people not running any kind of protection and surfing with admin rights.

Try using IE 5.5 with no updates for a while and see how you do.  Most of the computers do have protection, but it's not updated very often.  Not all of them have had admin rights either.

ok. 5.5 no updates. might as well run 4 or 5 then on a win95 machine with no updates. if they don't run the latest patch, thats just stupid...

Yea... if they knew enough to update I would have a lot less work. :lol: