2760 drives, 500GB each, one huge storage array

dlewis23

alright.. short of calling I was able to "price" this system out..  Here is what I came up with..

Seagate NL35 147gb FC drive currently sells for $1,100 (far short of the 500 per drive and yes they do make a 500gb fc drive but it is only available through data storage manufactures..)

So just for drives you are looking in the range of 3-6 million..

My guess that shipping/installation is going to be around 3-5 grand..

So.. my best guess would be that this system is some where between 8-10 million

alright.. short of calling I was able to "price" this system out..  Here is what I came up with..

Seagate NL35 147GB FC drive currently sells for $1,100 (far short of the 500 per drive and yes they do make a 500GB fc drive but it is only available through data storage manufactures..)

Is that all, heck let me dig in my change box. Just a minute, just a minute, would you just hold on. Oh, maybe I was robbed. Dang the hard luck.  :laughing7:

Maybe for X-mas.  :icon_thumleft:

it's not a bug it's a feature. you call it mar-ke-ting.

its not a feature, its just are lazy, the hd manufactures still think that 1000kb = 1mb but the rest of the world, and all other computer related companies know that 1024kb = 1mb, if the HD manufactures would change just 1 thing in there  manufacturing technique, when you buy a 200GB drive you actually get 200GB not 185GB drive.

Seagate NL35 147gb FC drive currently sells for $1,100 (far short of the 500 per drive and yes they do make a 500gb fc drive but it is only available through data storage manufactures..)

huh

i am having trouble with the maths

so how much would it cost each gig ?

you cant by the 500gb fc drives anywhere.. they are manufactured for manufactures of storage system only.  The biggest FC drive that you can get from seagate is 146gb.  Based off that price of $1100 per drive time 2760 is $3,036,000  I figure that those 500gb drives are at least double the price of the 146gb model.