Verizon is killing me - please help

joeboo

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 118 Kbps about 0.12 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 14 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net  (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/04/24 - 6:49pm

Bottom Line:: 2X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 73.14 sec

Tested from a 386 kB file and took 26.75 seconds to complete

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 2.3 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-UQTOPZD16

I have the 3MB dsl package and have the Westell 327W modem. Running on XP home.

This problem has been ongoing for about a week now. Up and down like a yo-yo, down around 118-300KB more so the past couple days. Verizon's tech support tells me my line and modem are fine, my connection looks fine....another tells me I may have a virus(checked, none). That person took it upon himself to reset my modem somehow before hanging up last night and it took me to this morning to find someone compotent enough to help me get back online. Not before another idiot tried to explain my problem with the guy before as a problem on their end(totally passing up the speed issue).

Any way, I am not getting what I paid for and this is getting to be a nerve racking. I have another PC on a totally different line in this house that suffers none of these problems(same set up). So that leads me to now believe that it has something to do with my settings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks ahead of time for your help/responses.

i have a question..did u try the computer on the other line. there are no settings in the modem that need to be changed. i know this b/c i used 2 do tech support for verizon..have u checked for spyware, defragged, etc. i would switch computers first to see if you can pinpoint the problem..if u have the problem pnly on 1 then u know its something on that system..if u have the same problem on both computers theres definitely some type of line problem..do u have the modem on the floor? any magnetic items near it? ive even seen cases where the monitor caused interference.these are just a few things i would do to start. i know for a fact that just because a line test looks ok there may still be a problem somewhere..another though u may want 2 try unplugging everything from the phone line but the modem and see if either the filer is bad or something else may be causing problems. and also are u using the phone line verizon sent out?

Connection is:: 2733 Kbps about 2.73 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 334 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/04/24 - 9:37pm

Bottom Line:: 48X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.07 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 8.969 seconds to complete

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 53.31 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-W1TVG9P4O

Back to normal thus far, just hope it was not a hiccup, rather a fix instead. I did everything you said and then some. I found some spyware, which the removal off brought my Kb up to the 400 range from 118. I then noticed a bunch of servers were trying to connect all at once, so I blocked them. Ran Spybot, Ad-aware, Trend Micro Anti-Spyware and PC-Cillin 2006. After that I decided to kill a bunch of services....reboot, back to normal.

So far, so good.

The wiring from the wall-to-router-to-PC is all factory. And the wiring on this second line isn't even a year old yet. Also had a new box put on the side of the house at the same time.

Thank you very much.....Much appreciated.

Connection is:: 166 Kbps about 0.17 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Download Speed is:: 20 kB/s

Test Time:: 2006/04/27 - 6:25pm

Bottom Line:: 3X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 51.2 sec

Tested from a 97 kB file and took 4.766 seconds to complete

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 3.24 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-600VXK8WP

It's back  :angry5: Except this time, I went the distance....I reinstalled a clean copy of XP Home on my HD. I was good for about an hour, then all was the same as the other day. The problem surfaces longer and with regularity now.

Verizon did a line test, it matched the line speed my modem was reading 3360 KBits/Sec by 832 KBits/Sec...

.....on the flip side....

http://www.dslreports.com/quality/nil/2027602

My line quality test wasn't too hot.

I am so lost and confused now. Verizon's tech support hasn't been helpful at all(it's not their wiring, it's not their network, it's not their router, it's all my pc this, my pc that)...nor was a clean install.

Again....

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks ahead of time for your help/responses.

Thought maybe the network card was the culprit, so I swapped, no success.

A quick run down.

I ran virus scan.

I ran multiple spyware tools.

I swapped all wiring from the wall to my modem to pc.

I swapped lines, and got not much better results.

Now know this occurs on the second line as well.

I swapped modems.

I moved modem as far away from anything magnetic that I could.

I reset my modem after Verizon did it.

I unplugged all cables going into modem for one minute multiple times.

I used tools from here and dslreport(optimizers).

I turned off all services that were not needed or were accessing the net frequently.

I did a clean install.

I spent a ton of time on the phone with Verizon's tech support this past week....

....each one told me my pc was fine until I told them of the tests I have ran at multiple sites, then the tune changed, viruses, those tests you run are not reliable...lets try deleting some cookies and clearing your history. It is to the point now that I coach them through the drill that they give me. When that happens they pull the ticket cop out, which they never call you back on. I was told today that my line looked great, but once I spit the results I gathered...the techie tells me that my problem sounds like network overload, ticket time....I asked him to explain how that could be the problem if my line looked great...all he could say is that is what my problem resembles and gave me a ticket number.....ARGH!!!

Sorry, I am just so frustrated. I have had Verizon dsl since it was first available for Bell Atlantic and have never experienced anything like this. Some late night maintenance that wasn't very frequent, but that is about it....Up until this past week, my service has been great and I have been eagerly waiting for FIOS to become available in this area...But there tech support ops have really pushed me to the point of switching to Comcast this week. It's like they don't even give a damn....or, more on, haven't the slightest clue.

Connection is:: 3366 Kbps about 3.37 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 411 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net  (Server 2)

Test Time:: 2006/04/29 - 9:37am

Bottom Line:: 59X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 2.49 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 7.281 seconds to complete

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 65.56 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-29CQHJRYS

I may finally be done with this problem. About 1 hour after putting up that last post until now....I have been attaining a connection of over 3000Kb for the very first time since Verizon boosted me up.

The fix? It started with a little thread called Performance Tuning in the Guides section of this community. I did a bunch of the registry tweaks and retweaked the Services of Black Viper to those in that thread. While sniffing around the forum I kept running across "try switching to full duplex"...so I switched Line Speed & Duplex from Auto Detect to 100Mbps/Full Duplex. Rebooted...retested....3275Mb straight out the gate, then again....I have been testing regularly over the weekend and my connection has stayed up around those levels....hitting over 3000Mb over and over again....again I have never amassed 3000Mb since verizon bumped me.

Though my problem could not be resolved one-on-one. It was resolved with the help of the mods responses to problems in other threads and that guide by ROM-DOS. Thank you all so very much.

This is a great site with a plethora of information. I have been coming here for about a year running tests and playing the part of the wallflower. I can't stress enough the value of looking stuff up independently via search. If I hadn't done that, I probably would have thrown my PC out the window by now, after the week that I been having.

Once again, thank you all for your help.