P A T R I O T I S M

tommie gorman

How many people feel strongly about the USA, and what it stands for?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. How many people feel strongly about the USA, and what it stands for?

• Yes, a tear
    • Not a tear
    • Don't care

Now here is a guy that is blowing his horn all day, in a much different way.  :thumbsup:

These are pictures of an independent trucker who has painted his cab and trailer with the names of all those who lost their lives in 9/11.

The trucker's name is John Holmgren from Shafer Minn. The trucker has been "pulled over" numerous times just so the troopers can get their picture taken with the truck.

http://thunderatdeathcorps.250free.com/Webpages/john_holmgren_truck.htm

Sgt. Sar's Silver Star

One man's journey from Cambodia to America to Afghanistan--where he became a hero!

The sound of the UH-60 Blackhawk helicopters echoed off the rugged, snowy ridges, almost 9,000 feet up in the mountains of eastern Afghanistan, near the Pakistan border. In the dim first light of dawn, the men of U.S. Army Special Forces detachment Alpha 732 were scanning the fog-bound boulders and trees, searching for Taliban fighters.

They spotted a tiny village of earth and stone huts strung out along the top of a ridge. Something didn't look right about the peaceful scene that early morning, March 2, 2005. The Blackhawks touched down, one on either side of the ridge, less than 100 yards below the huts. Six men jumped out of the chopper on the north side of the ridge, and as it flew away they came under intense automatic weapons fire from the village. Returning fire, they sought cover amid rocks and trees in the knee-deep snow.

As the other copter had touched down on the south side of the ridge, Master Sgt. Sarun Sar heard the heavy fire and spotted Taliban fighters around the huts above him. The sudden arrival of the 12-man Alpha 732 team by air had surprised the enemy. But the advantage of surprise was evaporating fast in a hail of fire.

Ten months later, home from Afghanistan at Hawaii's Camp H.M. Smith, Sgt. Sar stood at attention as he received the Silver Star, the nation's fourth-highest award for valor in combat. He was a reluctant recipient. He felt that what he had done that day in Afghanistan was "just my duty as a soldier, protecting my guys like they protect me."

As to his many missions in harm's way--in the Gulf War, in Bosnia and Kosovo, and through two combat tours in Afghanistan--he says quietly that "it's a small price to pay for this country that I love more than my birthplace, this country that has given me so much."

Ten months later, home from Afghanistan at Hawaii's Camp H.M. Smith, Sgt. Sar stood at attention as he received the Silver Star, the nation's fourth-highest award for valor in combat. He was a reluctant recipient. He felt that what he had done that day in Afghanistan was "just my duty as a soldier, protecting my guys like they protect me."

Sgt. Sar feels the American public has heard only about the fighting in the war against terrorism and not enough about the work to achieve peace. "They should be proud of what their soldiers have done to overcome fear and win the hearts of these people." He chuckles when he recalls that when he first arrived in Afghanistan "the people didn't talk to me. Towards the end they wanted me to marry one of their daughters so I could stay a little longer."

For the rest of the story.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/federation/feature/?id=110008314

Media Ignores the Nation's Heroes

At the Baghdad International Airport on April 4, 2003, SFC Smith held off, essentially by himself, an attack by 100 or more insurgents, killing nearly 50 before he himself was mortally wounded.

But Sgt. Rafael Peralta, LtCol. Mark Mitchell, Staff Sergeant Stephen Achey, Hospitalman Luis Fonseca and the 13 others profiled by Mr. Weinberger and Mr. Hall are household names chiefly only in their own households, and in the units in which they served.

The story that caused me to tear up the most is that of Marine Sgt. Peralta, who has been recommended, posthumously, for the Medal of Honor.

Sgt. Peralta was killed on Nov. 15, 2004, during the second battle of Fallujah. His squad was clearing a house. Sgt. Peralta was the first into a room where at least three insurgents lay in ambush. He was shot in the chest and the face, but still had the presence of mind to jump into an adjoining room to give the Marines behind him a clear field of fire.

Four Marines maneuvered into the room where Sgt. Peralta lay when an insurgent tossed a grenade into it. Sgt. Peralta pulled the grenade to him and smothered it with his body, saving the others from death or serious injury.

Sgt. Rafael Peralta died for a country he loved, but of which he was not yet a citizen. A Mexican immigrant who lived in San Diego, Sgt. Peralta enlisted in the Marines the day he received his green card.

"Be proud of being an American," Sgt. Peralta had written to his younger brother in the only letter he ever sent him.

"The dearth of hopeful or heroic stories reported has given viewers a lopsided perspective," they wrote.

Soldiers who misbehave make the front page. Soldiers who perform nobly do not. When SFC Smith was awarded the Medal of Honor, the New York Times put the story on page A-13.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/05/post_6.html

Very sad indeed!

I had not read or heard this before. It inspired me.

Speech by Brian Shul in Chico California in the Fall of 2001

Brian Shul is a Vietnam era USAF fighter pilot with 212 combat missions. He was shot down near the end of the war and was so badly burned that he was given next to no chance to live. He did live, went on to fly SR-71s and completed a 20 year career in the Air Force. Has written four books on aviation and runs a photo studio. This is a speech he made in Chico California in the aftermath of the September 11th attack on the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the opportunity to address this rally today. It is not often that a fighter pilot is asked to be the keynote speaker. There is a rumor that they are unable to put two sentences together coherently. I'd like to dispel that rumor today by saying that I can do that, and in fact that I have written several books. I always wanted to be an author, and I ARE one now.

I'm a pretty lucky person really. I'm like the little boy who tells his father that when he grows up he wants to be a jet pilot, and his father replies, "Sorry son, you can't do both". I made that choice a long time ago and flew the jets. I was fortunate to live my dream, and then some. I survived something I shouldn't have, and today, tell people that I am 28 years old, as it has been that long since I was released from the hospital. It was like I received a second life, and in the past 28 years, I have gotten to see and do much, so much that I would not have thought possible. Returning to fly jets in the Air Force, flying the SR-71 on spy missions, spending a year with the Blue Angels, running my own photo studio.... and so much more. And now, seeing our country attacked in such a heinous way.

Some of you here today have heard me speak before, and know that I enjoy sharing my aviation slide show. I have brought no slides to show you, as I feel compelled today, to address different issues concerning this very difficult time in our nation's history.

I stand before you today, not as some famous person, or war hero. I am far from that. You know, they say a good landing is one you can walk away from, and a really great one is when you can use the airplane again. Well, I did neither...and I speak to you to today as simply a fellow American citizen.

Like you, I was horrified at the events of September 11th. But I was not totally surprised that such a thing could happen, or that there were people in the world who would perpetrate such deeds, willingly, against us. Having sat through many classified briefings while in the Air Force, I was all too l aware of the threat, and I can assure you, it has always been there in one form or another. And those of you who have served in the defense of this nation, know all too well the response that is needed. In every fighter squadron I was in, there was a saying that we knew to be true, that said, when there was a true enemy, you negotiate with that enemy with your knee in his chest and your knife at his throat.

Many people are unfamiliar with this way of thinking, and shrink from its ramifications. War is such a messy business, and there are many who want no part of it, but rush to bask in the security blanket of its victory.

I spent an entire military career fighting Communism, and was very proud to do so. We won that war, we beat one of the worst scourges to humankind the world has known. But it took a great effort, over many years of sustained vigilance and much sacrifice by so many whose names you will never know. And perhaps our nation, so weary from so long a cold war, relaxed too much and felt the world was a safer place with the demise of the Soviet Union. We indulged ourselves in our own lives, and gave little thought to the threats to our national security.

You know, normally my talks are laced with numerous jokes as I share my stories, but I have very few jokes to tell this afternoon. These murdering fanatics came into our land, lived amongst our people, flew on our planes, crashed them into our buildings, and killed thousands of our citizens. And nowhere along their gruesome path were they questioned or stopped. The joke is on us. We allowed this country to become soft.

We shouldn't really be too surprised that this could happen. Did we really think that we could keep electing officials who put self above nation and this would make us stronger? Did we really think that a strong economy adequately replaced a strong intelligence community? Did we imagine that a President who practically gave away the store on his watch, was insuring national security? While our country was mired in the wasted excess of a White House sex scandal, the drums of war beat loudly in foreign lands, and we were deaf. Our response was to give the man two terms in office, and even then barely half the American public exercised their right to vote. We have only ourselves to blame. Our elected officials are merely a reflection of our own values and what we deem important.

Did we not realize that America had become a laughing stock around the world? We had lost credibility, even amongst our allies. To our enemies we had no resolve. We made a lot of money, watched a lot of TV, and understood little about what was happening beyond our shores. We were, simply, an easy target.

But we are a country awakened now. We have been attacked in our homeland. We have now felt the reality of what an unstable and dangerous world it truly is. And still, in the face of this unprecedented carnage in our most prominent city, there are those who choose to take this opportunity to protest, and even burn the flag.

If I were the regents or alumni of certain large universities in this county, I would be embarrassed to be producing students of such ignorance and na

and this frankly made me cry.... my how times have changed:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011008091129/http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/news/news_stories/pentstruck19.html

German destroyer renders more than honors

Full-screen images are linked from the images captioned in story below.

High resolution images are linked from the words "Hi-Rez" in the captions.

Washington, D.C., Sept. 26, 2001 ? More than two weeks have passed since the Sept. 11 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. Reaction to the attacks and expressions of support for the United States continue to be received.

What follows is a first-person account of a day at sea aboard one of the Navy's newest guided missile destroyers, USS Winston S. Churchill (DDG 81) in the days following the attacks. This account was in an e-mail sent home by one of Churchill's officers.

" We have seen the articles and the photographs [of the attacks], and they are sickening. Being isolated as we are, I don't think we appreciate the full scope of what is happening back home, but we are definitely feeling the effects.

"About two hours ago the junior officers were called to the bridge to conduct Shiphandling drills. We were about to do a man overboard when we got a call from Lutjens (D 185), a German warship that was moored ahead of us on the pier in Plymouth, England.

"While in port, Winston S. Churchill and Lutjens got together for a sports day/cookout on our fantail, and we made some pretty good friends. Now at sea they called over on bridge-to-bridge, requesting to pass us close up on our port side, to say goodbye. We prepared to render them honors on the bridge wing, and the captain told the crew to come topside to wish them farewell.

"As they were making their approach, our conning officer ... announced that they were flying an American flag. As they came even closer, we saw that it was flying at half-mast. The bridge wing was crowded with people as the Boatswain's Mate blew two whistles ? Attention to Port."

Lutjens "came up alongside and we saw that the entire crew of the German ship were manning the rails, in their dress blues. They had made up a sign that was displayed on the side that read "We Stand By You". Needless to say there was not a dry eye on the bridge as they stayed alongside us for a few minutes and we cut our salutes. It was probably the most powerful thing I have seen in my entire life and more than a few of us fought to retain our composure.

more on the link:  http://web.archive.org/web/20011008091129/http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/news/news_stories/pentstruck19.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ran across this the other day.It is by a freind of my grandparents.This man was a veteran of WW1 & WW2 .He was also a farmer & when he wrote poems used the name Farmer Schaeffer.This was written right after the Kennedy assassination in 1963.It has no tittle as far as I know.

A shot rang out one sunny day

A nation plunged in grief

Those silent throngs have gathered round

In shocking disbelief

But yes,'tis true,alas 'tis true

Too late to call him back

A grieving wife his only shield

From murderous attack

A sober thought accross the land

Our conscience was divulged

A tragic sequence to the thoughts

We have so long indulged

The fruits of bitter hate,we now have plucked

And bitter though they be

we must thereof eat to the full

in sad humility

His rendevous with destiny

Although it was so brief

The ship of State in troubled waters

He guided by the reef

his love of country knew no bounds

His works,they did suffice

And for that love and loyalty

He paid the highest price

The world has lost a giant,great

Who battled for the right

This erring worldpays tribute to

A brave man and his might

The colored man has lost a friend

The poor an advocate

We all have lost a captain bold

To guide the ship of State

Down Pennsylvania Avenue

The cortege winds its way

Past weeping throngs of citizens

With silent lips that pray

With measured tread the caisson rolls

The Stars and Stripes his shroud

The flags are flying at half mast

The cannon boom so loud

With muffled drum and sound of taps

In sorrow laid to rest

We wonder why it had to be

God does things for the best

In mystic ways He sometimes moves

His wonders to perform

The foulest air is somehow cleansed

In wake of brutal storm

Wistful children so woebegone

A widow numbed with grief

'Tis only through the grace of God

That they have found relief

The widow now walks not alone

For God walks by her side

Her children walk, also, with her

In understanding pride

The lighted torch he carried high

Its flame will never dim

Eternal flame of liberty

For it was lit by him

Ever onward this vision goes

To the far ends of the world

To ligh the hopes of mortal man

This challenge by him hurled

Safe at last across the river

Beyond the pale of sorrow

He left his stamp upon the world

Left a bright tomorrow

We thank the Lord that we have had

Him with us for a while

His steady hand upon the helm

His ready willing smile

We know he had not lived in vain

for he accomplished much

We hope he has not died in vain

He left that human touch

A noble warrior for the right

He shirked not from the fray

We have a duty to the dead

Let's start on it today

All that are left are memories

Wrote with a golden pen

Memories that will live forever

Live in the hearts of men

Farewell,farewell, John Kennedy

But no, 'tis not farewell

Just au revoir,our gallent chief

Whom we loved so well

FARMER SCHAEFFER

I was 10 when Kennedy was killed so I remember it coming on the announcements at school.

The man who wrote the poem would be 120+ years if he was still alive.& he was a staunch Democrat.It was written about a week after the assassination.A lot of news about the Kennedys has been released since.But I thought the perspective of a man in his late 70's at the time of the assassination was interesting.Especially since I knew him.I doubt if anyone but me has a copy of this poem at least till now.

Hi all ;This is a Patriotism topic.It was getting way off to an Immigrant & Illegal immigrant topic.So I moved those posts to "the American Flag Comes in Second " topic in off topic where this has been discussed.

The PATRIOTISM topic has been primarily American .It would be ok for others to have patriotism for their countries & post it.But that is different than the legal immigrant to the USA Verses the Illegal Immigrant in the USA.

So if you are in Mexico & a Mexican  citizen & want to post that you love Mexico it's OK..

Same for if you are in Germany & a German citizen & want to post that you love Germany it's OK..

The above are examples.

The moved posts are now here:

http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-13550

• 2 weeks later...

You've got to admire John Glenn.....Still proud to be ex-military!!   

WHAT SENATOR JOHN GLENN SAID:     

There were 39 combat related killings in Iraq in January.

In the fair city of Detroit there were 35 murders in the

month of January.That's just one American city,

about as deadly as the entire war-torn country of Iraq.

When some claim that President Bush shouldn't

have started this war, state the following:

a. FDR led us into World War II.

b. Germany never attacked us; Japan did.

>From 1941-1945, 450,000 lives were lost ...

an  average of 112,500 per year.

c. Truman finished that war and started one in Korea.!

North Korea never attacked us.

>From 1950-1953, 55,000 lives were lost ..

an average of 18,334 per year.

d John F. Kennedy started the Vietnam conflict in 1962.

Vietnam never attacked us.

e.  Johnson turned Vietnam into a quagmire.

>From 1965-1975, 58,000 lives were lost ..

an average of 5,800 per year.

!

f. Clinton went to war in Bosnia without UN or French  consent.

Bosnia never attacked us.

He was offered Osama bin Laden's head on a platter three

times by Sudan and did nothing Osama has attacked us on

multiple occasions.

g. In the years since terrorists attacked us , President Bush

has liberated two countries, crushed the Taliban, crippled

al-Qaida, put nuclear inspectors in Libya, Iran, and North

Korea  without firing a shot, and captured a terrorist who

slaughtered 300,000 of his own people.

The Democrats are complaining

about how long the war is taking.

But< /I>

. It took less time to take Iraq than it took Janet Reno

to take the Branch Davidian compound

That was a 51-day operation.

We've been looking for evidence for chemical weapons

in Iraq for less time than it took Hillary Clinton to find

the Rose Law Firm billing records.

It took less time for the 3rd Infantry Division and the

Marines to destroy the Medina Republican Guard

than it took Ted Kennedy to call the police after his

Oldsmobile sank at Chappaquiddick

It took less time to take Iraq than it took

to count the votes in Florida!!!!

Our Commander-In-Chief is doing a  GREAT JOB!

The Military morale is high!

The biased media hopes we are too ignorant

to realize the facts

But Wait there's more!

JOHN GLENN (ON THE SENATE FLOOR)

Mon, 26 Jan 2004 11:13

Some people still don't understand why military personnel

do what they do for a living. This exchange between

Senators John Glenn and Senator Howard Metzenbaum

is worth reading. Not only is it a pretty impressive

impromptu speech, but it's also a good example of one

man's explanation of why men and women in the armed

services do what they do for a living

This IS a typical, though sad, example of what

some who have never served think of the military.

Senator Metz enbaum (speaking to Senator Glenn):

"How can you run for Senate

when you've never held a real job?"

Senator Glenn (D-Ohio):

"I served 23 years in the United State s Marine Corps.

I served through two wars. I flew 149 missions.

My plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire on 12 different

occasions. I was in the space program.  It wasn't my

checkbook, Howa! rd; it was my life on the line. It was

not a nine-to-five job, where I took time off to take the

daily cash receipts to the bank."

"I ask you to go with me ... as I went the other day..

to a veteran's hospital and look those men ..

with their mangled bodies in the eye, and tell THEM!

they didn't hold a job!

You go with me to the Space Program at NASA

and go, as I have gone, to the widows and Orphans

of Ed White, Gus Grissom and Roger Chaffee...

and you look those kids in the eye and tell them

that their DADS didn't hold a job. 

You go with me on Memorial Day and you stand in

Arlington National Cemetery, where I have more friends

buried than I'd like to remember, and you watch

those waving flags

You stand there, and you think about this nation,

and you tell ME that those people didn't have a! job?

What about you?"

For those who don't remember

During WW.II, Howard Metzenbaum was an attorney

representing the Communist Party in the USA.

Now he's a Senator!

If you can read this, thank a teacher.

If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran.

In God we Trust

• 4 weeks later...

(posted for EWO)

The Final Inspection

ATT1.jpg

[b]The Marine stood and faced God,[/b][b] [/b]
[b]Which must always come to pass.[/b][b] [/b]
[b]He hoped his shoes were shining,[/b][b] [/b]
[b]Just as brightly as his brass.[/b][b]  [/b]

[b]"Step forward now, Marine,[/b][b] [/b]
[b]How shall I deal with you?[/b][b] [/b]
[b]Have you always turned the other cheek?[/b][b] [/b]
[b]To My Church have you been true?"[/b][b]

[/b]

[b]The Marine squared his shoulders and said,[/b][b] [/b]
[b]"No, Lord, I guess I ain't.[/b][b] [/b]
[b]Because those of us who carry guns,[/b][b] [/b]

Can't always be a [b] [/b]

saint.

[b]I've had to work most Sundays,[/b]

And at times my talk
[b] [/b]

was tough.

[b]And sometimes I've been violent,
 [/b]
[b] [/b]
[b]Because the world is awfully rough.[/b][b]

[/b]

[b]But, I never took a penny
&nbsp[/b]
[b] [/b]
That wasn't mine to

[b] [/b]
keep
&nbsp
[b]Though I worked a lot of overtime,[/b][b] [/b]
[b]When the bills got just too steep. [/b][b]

[/b]

[b]And I never passed a cry for help,[/b][b] [/b]
[b]Though at times I shook with fear.[/b][b] [/b]
[b]And sometimes, God, forgive me,[/b][b] [/b]
[b]I've wept unmanly tears.[/b][b] [/b]

[b]I know I don't deserve a place,[/b]
[b]Among the people here.[/b][b] [/b]
[b]They never wanted me around,[/b][b] [/b]
[b]Except to calm their fears.[/b][b]

[/b]

[b]If you've a place for me here, Lord,[/b][b] [/b]
[b]It needn't be so grand.[/b][b] [/b]
[b]I never expected or had too much,[/b][b] [/b]
[b]But if you don't, I'll understand.[/b][b]

[/b]

[b]There was a silence all around the throne,[/b][b] [/b]
[b]Where the saints had often trod.[/b][b] [/b]
[b]As the Marine waited quietly,[/b][b] [/b]
[b]For the judgment of his God.[/b][b]

[/b]

[b]"Step forward now, you Marine,[/b][b] [/b]
[b]You've borne your burdens well.[/b][b] [/b]
[b]Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,[/b][b] [/b]
[b]You've done your time in Hell."[/b][b]
 [/b]

[b]~Author Unknown~[/b][b] [/b]
ATT2.jpg

[b]It's the Soldier, not the reporter[/b][b] [/b][b]
who has given us the freedom of the press [/b]

[b]It's the Soldier, not the poet,[/b][b] [/b][b]
who has given us the freedom of speech. [/b]

[b]It's the Soldier, not the politicians[/b][b] [/b][b]
that ensures our right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. [/b]

[b]It's the Soldier who salutes the flag,[/b][b] [/b][b]
who serves beneath the flag,
and whose coffin is draped by the flag.[/b]
[b] [/b]
ATT3.jpg
    [b]If you care to offer the smallest token of recognition and appreciation for the Military, [/b][b]
please pass this on and pray for our men and women[/b]
[b] [/b][b]
who have served and are currently serving our country[/b]
[b] [/b][b]
and pray for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for freedom.[/b]
[b]  
   [/b]

ATT4.jpg
[b]THESE[/b][b] [/b][b]COLORS[/b][b] [/b][b]DON'T[/b][b] [/b][b]RUN [/b]

[b]--[/b][b]
"Freedom is not free, but the [/b]
US [b]Marine Corps will pay most of your
share." [/b]
[b]
---[/b][i] Ned Dolan[/i]

[b]Everyone's favorite![/b]  

ATT5.gifATT6.gif

ATT7.gif

[b]I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG, [/b]

[b]OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, [/b]

[b]AND TO THE REPUBLIC, FOR WHICH IT[/b]

[b] STANDS, [/b]

[b][u]ONE NATION UNDER GOD[/u], [/b]

[b]INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY [/b]

[b]AND JUSTICE FOR ALL! [/b][b]
[/b]

I was asked to send this on

if I agree or delete if I don't.  

It is said that 86% of  

Americans

believe in God.  

Therefore I have a very

hard time understanding

why there is such a problem

in having

[b]"In God We Trust"[/b]

on our money and having

"God"

in the Pledge of Allegiance.

[b]
I[/b]
[b] AGREE [/b][b]![/b]

[b]      [/b]ATT8.gif[b]  [/b][b]
PLEASE KEEP THIS GOING, [/b]

[b]EVEN IF YOU HAVE PASSED IT ON BEFORE!![/b][b] [/b]

[b][i]
Please send this on after a short[/i][/b]
[b]  [/b]

[b][i]prayer! [/i][/b][b] [/b]

ATT9.gif[b][i]
Prayer wheel for our [/i][/b]
[b][i] [/i][/b]

[b][i]Marines,[/i][/b][b][i]  [/i][/b][b][i]soldiers, sailors, [/i][/b]

[b][i]coastguard, and airmen...[/i][/b]

[b][i]please don't break it [/i][/b][b][i] [/i][/b][b] [/b]

[b]  [/b]ATTA.gif

[b][i]
"Dear Heavenly Father, [/i][/b]

[b][i]hold our troops in your loving hands.  [/i][/b]

[b][i]Protect them as they protect us.  [/i][/b]

[b][i]Bless them and their families [/i][/b]

[b][i]for the selfless acts they perform [/i][/b]

[b][i]for us in our time of need.[/i][/b]

[b][i]Please stop a moment [/i][/b]

[b][i]and say a prayer for our troops [/i][/b]

[b][i](land, air, and sea) in [/i][/b]

[b][i]Afghanistan, Kuwait, [/i][/b]

[b][i]Iraq and all around the world.[/i][/b]

[b][i]  [/i][/b][b][i] [/i][/b][b] [/b]ATTB.jpg[b][i]
This can be very powerful.....[/i][/b]

[/html]

Thanks to php for working on this e-mail EWO wanted posted.I did some adjusting because some of the large letters didn't fit my screen & ran together.If my adjustment messed anyone else's view up let me know.I couldn't have done this without help from php & I'm still very much a amateur .