P A T R I O T I S M

tommie gorman

How many people feel strongly about the USA, and what it stands for?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. How many people feel strongly about the USA, and what it stands for?

• Yes, a tear
    • Not a tear
    • Don't care

Still have to stand up for Lee Marvin though.

Marvin left school to join the United States Marine Corps, serving as a Scout Sniper in the 4th Marine Division. He was wounded in action during the WWII Battle of Saipan. Most of his platoon were killed during the battle. Marvin's wound (in the buttocks) was from machine gun fire, which severed his sciatic nerve. He was awarded the Purple Heart medal and was given a medical discharge with the rank of Private First Class.
wikipedia

And Mr Fred McFeely Rogers did a lot of fine work.

Of course so did Bob Keeshan. And he did do his stint in the United States Marine Corps Reserve during World War II.

So don't always believe in emails. No biggie. But these three were still admirable.  :wink:

Never said they did not do anything admirable.  Just pointing out that Lee Marvin and Bob Keeshan were never at Iwo Jima together and that Mr. Rogers was never in the military.  All three did great things for our country, unlike a lot of the Hollywood stars of today.  You couldn't get most of them to do a 2-4 year stint in the military if their lives depended on it.

Never said they did not do anything admirable.  Just pointing out that Lee Marvin and Bob Keeshan were never at Iwo Jima together and that Mr. Rogers was never in the military.  All three did great things for our country, unlike a lot of the Hollywood stars of today.  You couldn't get most of them to do a 2-4 year stint in the military if their lives depended on it.

True statement, all of it.

P A T R I O T I S M, is nothing more than a myopic home town view , sure respect the past and it's leaders , I certainly do , they lead the way, and often paid the price  ,but  by their actions they didn't intend to hold us back , they just pointed the way forward ,IMHO

Just my thoughts ,

Call it what one will, but its still a great feeling to have in ones belly when saluting the flag and singing patriotic songs in remembrance of where we were and where we hopefully are headed. I still get a lump in my throat. And its nationwide, not just a hometown view. I wish there were some way to share it with foreigners, the feelings. But I guess the best I can do is say I am glad I do understand it well.

Like I said before, patriotism is nothing more then a deep seeded ploy to invoke feeling vs. sanity, countries are businesses , and feelings belong no where in business. This keeps those feeling for people who died for a feeling out of the equation.

There's another thread that discusses this in more detail, it talks about generations of demoralization, think of it on the same lines, they cannot be convinced otherwise due to the programming.

I just have to say I do not think our forefathers actually created patriotism just so generations on a few could control the masses really. NOt that it is not used like sex to sale things. But it really does exist, and makes the US different than other countries. I for one am glad for that too. And most of our soldiers have it too. Or they would not bother for real. I do not think any joined because they did not believe in this country. Ok, a few maybe.

Too me having Patriotism is having "pride" in one's country.  I'm also a believe in that one of the reason's for the lack of Patriotism these days is because of all the political groups that should not be interfering.  As an example, all these different "Human Rights" groups out there.  They cry about someone or a group of people being mistreated and we, the USA who else lately, goes in to take care of the problem and now we are the bad guys.  When it comes to this war as another example, I do not care if you agree with congress or the president or not.  Support the troop that it is on the ground.  That is Patriotism to me.  After all if it was not for the ground pounder we half the country could be speaking Japanese and the other half could be speaking German today.  Not saying either country is bad but the USA would not be the way it is today good or bad.  The you get all these legal and illegal immigrants that could care less about the country that they entered as long as they get the American money to send back home.  That statement is to include some of these sports stars we have here that high tail back home after each season.  I'm sorry, I can not approve of it.  Take all the millions that you are being paid and run.  Yeah they may spend some here during the season but most of it is being spent somewhere else.

In short I have got to disagree, Patriotism has nothing to do with business.  Yes a country has to be run like a business but they are two seperate things.  If you are not proud of the country you are a citizen of or where you live by choice you do not deserve to call either home.  There is nothing wrong with being Patriotic to two countries.  No matter what country it is.  Also ever notice that most that "cry" against Patriotism have never been in the military.  Not saying that is the case here.

tommie gorman and I do bump heads as can be seen in a few of the above post's, but I do believe we both agree when it come to Patriotism itself.

P A T R I O T I S M, is nothing more than a myopic home town view ,

boy is that backwards...patriotism is in NO WAY myopic...if anything it presbyopic...because of the far ranging vision that not only looks to the past but to the future...

and indeed is not just a hometown thing...takes a majority of a full nation to be patriotic...it's about pride in your country and the honor you give those that defend your right to pride in your country...

Barbara Ehrenreich:

No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots.

Daniel Webster:

I was born an American; I will live an American; I shall die an American! July 1850 speech

Mark Twain:

I would agree, but sometimes silent does not bring things to light. If its stifled, sometimes it dies from non use. So instead of people saying "It does not exist, just look around you", and the exact reason this thread got started in the first place for real. Yes thats what I was told. So the other reason it was also a poll. To show the person patriotism really does exist. And often I find it difficult to explain to those of other lands what it really is. But thats a whole other story for real. But when I once in a while read the whole thread over, it does make me feel good we at least have it and have the freedom to acknowledge its existance.

Congrats on the nephew. I hope he does well.