Slow Upload Speed

richc46

I finally decided to get my feet wet with DSL.  After 5 years with dial up, I switched to ATT Yahoo Pro. I was very happy with my results and have been checking my speed at other web sites. I have been averaging about 2.0 Mbps and 350kbps, which is in the range of what I was offered.

I found this site, which I like very much tested and my download was a bit better than some of the other tests that I have taken, but withing normal limits.

Upload is much worse on this site.  I am getting about 75% of the average user, or about 200kbps. 

Can anyone explain or help me with this discrepency?  Results are with Zone alarm off, Norton Virus on.  Windows 98.

Thank you so very much for your help, tommie.  I shut down Norton and Zone alarm, in addition, I took the tests that you suggested.  My results are as follows:

DL 2310 Kbps

UP 213 Kbps

DL was in line with results from other test sites and 15% above the average for SBC.

213 was 85% of the average, and below my usual 325-400.

Worst case scenario is that this site is giving me correct readings while others are not. I guess, by definition, someone has to be below average.

Your speeds are good! If you do not want to be slowed by your Anti-Virus, you might consider AVG free(I use) or Avast. Both of them free for personal use, and neither is a resource hog. they are both considered the best freeware AV out. Meaning that they will not bog you down as bad during a test and D/Ling software and such. I never turn mine off and get great test results. I don't turn off my firewall(IE6)either.  ;)

Just choose windows or Linux at the bottom of the page.  http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1